I Could and Would Use Another Fat Bike

OddTrickStar

Seriously, this is a practical idea folks. Could really use a hardtail with a suspension fork geared towards exploration/ adventure but still good on trails. Would love something titanium, never owned a titanium anything but will probably go steel because $. I thought about using my Blackborow DS but I just love that bike the way it is, perfect beach bike, minimum maintenance required and always ready to go. The new bike would be changed up as needed; rack, bags, suspension and drivetrain. Should be fun.

Looking at the Otso Arctodus right now, would love to try one. Nearest dealer is in central Pennsylvania it appears. It’ll take 27.5 x 4.5 tires, has sliding dropouts so you can go singlespeed even though I would initially build it with gears. Has a HT angle that seems just right to me, but again I need to ride one to be sure. Need to make sure the Q factor isn’t too narrow. Too narrow causes me to have knee pain believe it or not. All three of the paint schemes are nice too, especially that light blue one. I keep bikes too long to buy one with a paint/ powder job I don’t like.

For a fork I’m leaning towards trying the Lauf. If it’s not enough I could always put it on my Blackborow where it would replace the rigid stock fork.

I could buy an entire Surly Wednesday for what the Otso frame set cost but it won’t take the 27.5 x 4.5 tires. I previously had one on my radar, and wanted it for the same purpose, but I would have changed so much on it that it’s just not practical. Would rather start with a bare frame and enjoy building it myself. 😊

Arctodus is a home run. I’ve owned basically every Fat Bike ever made and it’s seriously in a league of its own. It feels good everywhere. Loaded, not loaded, beach, snow, singletrack, doesn’t matter. If the Ti one was available when I bought mine I wouldn’ve gotten that one instead.
I am just perplexed by the price point of the voytek 2 frame, it’s more expensive then a mid group arctodus…I need a new fat bike like I need to be kicked in the groin, but can’t help lurking in the dark for that price to come down…

Arctodus is a home run. I’ve owned basically every Fat Bike ever made and it’s seriously in a league of its own. It feels good everywhere. Loaded, not loaded, beach, snow, singletrack, doesn’t matter. If the Ti one was available when I bought mine I wouldn’ve gotten that one instead.
100%. I love this bike.
Just pulled the trigger and ordered a Glacier blue Arctodus. Pretty geeked, bought the complete bike with a few upgrades. Carbon bars and post, XT drivetrain and premium headset. Eventually I’ll build some 27.5 carbon wheels and probably get a suspension fork for it. Who knows, either way it will see some miles in the Pine Barrens.

Looking forward to the narrower Q factor as i am now getting some knee pain after riding the Blackborow. Not sure if it’s the wider Q, the singlespeed, how many more miles I’m riding or all of the above.

This was an N-1+1 situation, selling a Hutch TrickStar and other vintage stuff to get this.

Just pulled the trigger and ordered a Glacier blue Arctodus. Pretty geeked, bought the complete bike with a few upgrades. Carbon bars and post, XT drivetrain and premium headset. Eventually I’ll build some 27.5 carbon wheels and probably get a suspension fork for it. Who knows, either way it will see some miles in the Pine Barrens.

Looking forward to the narrower Q factor as i am now getting some knee pain after riding the Blackborow. Not sure if it’s the wider Q, the singlespeed, how many more miles I’m riding or all of the above.

This was an N-1+1 situation, selling a Hutch TrickStar and other vintage stuff to get this.
Sad to hear the Trick Star will go, but a great time to sell it. And good choice - I do love my Arctodus!

EDIT: Take your Trick Star and anything else you want to sell, and hit this event. You will make a killing.

IMG_6462.jpeg

I have to see what I have to sell, maybe I should pull the plug on my reserve parts. Either way, I’d be up to split a table and I’ll help you get top dollar :)
Sounds like a good idea, I am thinking of going to that show. Could easily bring the Starsky for the show too! Not sure if I’m rehabbed enough to try any tricks but the bike is almost ready if I do. Brake pads are dry and I can’t remember where I put my pegs.

The vintage BMX market has definitely slowed I think. Nothing is moving right now.

Also, the Arctodus was just delivered. Gotta go unpack it and put it together.

Back
Top Bottom