Middlebush Road Crossing

goodvibe

I rode here today and crossing Middlebush is super dangerous. Has anyone thought of petitioning Franklin Township to put pedestrian crossing lines or the HAWK signal that is popping up in some of the local towns. I would hate to see someone hit by a car to get some sort of crossing erected (At minimum a crosswalk painted on the road).

hawk_027.jpg

Somerset County Road. I think the flashing Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacon (RRFB) pedestrian signs would be a good call and kind of hoped they would put them in when they did the bridge.

1713958640406.png

One of the more traffic related items is that its down hill in both directions and a cross walk in the middle of the roadway isn't what one would typically expect while driving, as its not at an intersection. But I'm all for if we can get a petition together to send it over. Maybe I'll look into that today.

I had some close calls crossing Middlebush and now I rarely cross over/ride the full loop.

As for the crossing spot - the other day I stood under the blinking light in a crosswalk, with a sign that says "state law to stop" and 8 cars passed me/never stopped. Go figure.

Lewis Morris has the lines and a flashing light. Sometimes people stop, sometimes they don't. I had one driver stop and another went around and passed on the shoulder as we were crossing. Nothing is safe with cars.

Problem with Middlebush is you can't see anything until your almost on the road.

Considering how many people use 6 mile, it is somewhat of a miss that Somerset County has not addressed this. Mercer has a number of the flashing signs at crossing that see a fraction of what Middlebush does.

Considering how many people use 6 mile, it is somewhat of a miss that Somerset County has not addressed this. Mercer has a number of the flashing signs at crossing that see a fraction of what Middlebush does.

state park, county road, town(s) dgaf ??

should have been addressed when the bridge was rebuilt.

Somerset County Road. I think the flashing Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacon (RRFB) pedestrian signs would be a good call and kind of hoped they would put them in when they did the bridge.

View attachment 236880

One of the more traffic related items is that its down hill in both directions and a cross walk in the middle of the roadway isn't what one would typically expect while driving, as its not at an intersection. But I'm all for if we can get a petition together to send it over. Maybe I'll look into that today.
For this very reason, I'd expect an increase in cars rear ending each other on Middlebush if they were lined up and stopped. I ride Six Mile every week and commute on Middlebush both ways every day and have seen cars rear ended on occasion. Every so often, I see cars in my rearview have to swerve to avoid hitting me while I'm stopped waiting to move again.

state park, county road, town(s) dgaf ??

should have been addressed when the bridge was rebuilt.
Could be some jurisdictional issues but honestly, it falls on the county as it is crossing their road. Somerset county is low on the list of proactive planning for bike/ped in NJ.
For this very reason, I'd expect an increase in cars rear ending each other on Middlebush if they were lined up and stopped. I ride Six Mile every week and commute on Middlebush both ways every day and have seen cars rear ended on occasion. Every so often, I see cars in my rearview have to swerve to avoid hitting me while I'm stopped waiting to move again.
Yes, it isn't a great spot, cars coming DH in both direction to that location. That being said, that isn't an excuse for not addressing the crossing issue.

Considering how many people use 6 mile, it is somewhat of a miss that Somerset County has not addressed this.

I have been led to believe that sometimes the situation is looked at like so: If you mark an intersection well, there is some burden of liability if someone gets hurt. If you do nothing special well then it's on you to fend for yourself.

I have been told the same as it pertains to group rides. One lawyer's take was that if you have people sign a waiver, that often leads you to be more prone to lawsuit if someone gets hurt, because it can be claimed that you a) swept and marked the course for issues and b) made sure every rider was accounted for. That is not exactly the same but it does sort of align.

That said, the above is really almost entirely speculation, even the lawyer's opinion since that was not from an actual case or anything.

Hooray for litigation!

Any possibilities for reroutes for a better crossing? Straight downhills where everyone is rushing never a good crossing spot. What's the speed limit there, 40mph?

That is a reason why a crossing light would be good, so the people behind see the flashing lights and have a reason to slow/stop as opposed to what seems like a car in front of them randomly coming to a complete stop.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the way most of those lights are implemented. Drivers are idiots and the flashing crosswalk lights aren't common. Many people drive through not fully understanding what's going on when they're flashing. I would prefer the style that has a yellow, then red light for the length of time to cross then flashing yellow. Although those seem to have people drive through also.

A crosswalk with button-activated flashing lights was installed for the UTT crossing at CR 539 in Upper Freehold several years ago. A teenaged girl still got hit by a car and died when crossing, although there was speculation she had some "mental health" issues that resulted in her death.

I had some close calls crossing Middlebush and now I rarely cross over/ride the full loop.

As for the crossing spot - the other day I stood under the blinking light in a crosswalk, with a sign that says "state law to stop" and 8 cars passed me/never stopped. Go figure.
I have been known to kick cars that do that.

Do the right county people know about this? It is a state park after all 😉

They might just be waiting for someone to hit

Lewis Morris has the lines and a flashing light. Sometimes people stop, sometimes they don't. I had one driver stop and another went around and passed on the shoulder as we were crossing. Nothing is safe with cars.

Problem with Middlebush is you can't see anything until your almost on the road.
But there is at least something to alert the drivers that there is a crossing. They need to mark up the intersection more than just a small trail crossing sign.

Somewhat of a miss is putting it mildly. Paint a frickin’ crosswalk there what could that cost? Signage would be good too but $$$$

I fully support a well constructed petition. Just keep in mind that this puts the park under the microscope

I believe that this is fully a DOT issue and not a state park.
The road is eligible to receive federal funding, which is filtered through the NJDOT to the MPO’s, which is NJTPA, who facilitates working with the counties. So find the county rep and start process.

@w_b tons of liability associated with that cross walk, which is likely why it hasnt been done.

Reactions: w_b

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions