PNW Components Silver Stanchion Dropper Post

Dang that's cool , I thought about trying to polish a one up dropper but was concerned about making it more sloppy than it already is lol . I think I have an old one with some wear marks , sounds like a good candidate to experiment.

Dang that's cool , I thought about trying to polish a one up dropper but was concerned about making it more sloppy than it already is lol . I think I have an old one with some wear marks , sounds like a good candidate to experiment.
Interesting. How are you planning to remove the anodized layer? Maybe you can use oversize seals to compensate for the loss of material.

Interesting. How are you planning to remove the anodized layer? Maybe you can use oversize seals to compensate for the loss of material.

Anodization (type 2) is typically <.005 inches thick not likely to have seals sized that close together to take up that minimal of a gap. And some (i believe it's approx 50% of the total thickness) is a penetration into the base material making it <.005 on the diameter.

Anodization (type 2) is typically <.005 inches thick not likely to have seals sized that close together to take up that minimal of a gap. And some (i believe it's approx 50% of the total thickness) is a penetration into the base material making it <.005 on the diameter.
It depends how he plans to remove the anodized material, chemically? Mechanically? Lathe, sand paper… that is .125 mm so it may affect the seal effectiveness. I think.

It depends how he plans to remove the anodized material, chemically? Mechanically? Lathe, sand paper… that is .125 mm so it may affect the seal effectiveness. I think.
Is there anything you don't overthink lol . Certain oven cleaners will remove anodizing pretty effectively according to the couple youtube videos I saw . Then it's just sand and buff .

As an engineer I can say....no. mfg tolerances are not going to be that tight on rubber seals and they will run smaller than the nominal shaft diameter

Is there anything you don't overthink lol . Certain oven cleaners will remove anodizing pretty effectively according to the couple youtube videos I saw . Then it's just sand and buff .
Answer to the first question is no. I did use oven cleaner to remove anodizing from a crankset and it did work great but it left the surface rougher than I would use against a rubber seal. It may depend on the finish prior to anodizing, but you sanding and buffing do I guess that will take care of that…

Answer to the first question is no. I did use oven cleaner to remove anodizing from a crankset and it did work great but it left the surface rougher than I would use against a rubber seal. It may depend on the finish prior to anodizing, but you sanding and buffing do I guess that will take care of that…

anodizing penetrates the base material to some degree so if you can remove it all you will have some porosity, if its enough to be noticeable i couldnt say, but it wouldnt surprise me at all

Back
Top Bottom