Six Mile Red Trail Closure, Please Read

gofirst.jpg

I've never ridden 6 mile but there seems to be so many rules to follow. Seems like someone is constantly mad at someone else for their use of these trails. Its as if they powers that be don't want people to use the park

I remember the stream crossings... no thanks.

Spanning over the creek isn't the issue. The supports for that span - there's the issue.
It seems like if you could do it right next to the current bridge you could reuse most of the impact studies. Of course I know that's crazy talk. I thought that those walking only spans needed much less support structure.

How did the bridge at the old water crossing happen?

IIRC it came from Spruce Run? Not sure how the environmental stuff went but being nowhere near a road probably made it less of an issue.
Just curious why being near the road makes it worse, I would think the environmental issues would be less since there are existing structures?

While hanging a ped bridge on the side of the bridge might be feasible, where are you putting the access to it? Below is from this past March, this image is from a wet/flooding period and as you can see, the water in a flooding period is 200' wide in the area of the bridge and this floods a few times a year.
1714735427393.png

Dryer period from a year before
1714735953740.png

The cross slope of the dirt beside the road surface is relatively severe, meaning it isn't easy to just put a path there.
1714736221794.png

Last edited:
Looks like it may be a scour nightmare, although, I've seen very old bridges with timber piles (A LOT of them) that lasted decades. The bridge would also need to be at an elevation to extend over the flood zone (100 yr).

A shipping container (or other) bridge here would be doable. Building a trail to it would be no problem for jdog. Just not sure what that span is. During flooding time, it would just not be rideable (which would probably be a good thing)
1714744231210.png

A shipping container (or other) bridge here would be doable. Building a trail to it would be no problem for jdog. Just not sure what that span is. During flooding time, it would just not be rideable (which would probably be a good thing)
View attachment 237656
How would the shipping container be installed, in the riverbed on riprap and a culvert, on piles over the water line, or do you have something else in mind?

How would the shipping container be installed, in the riverbed on riprap and a culvert, on piles over the water line, or do you have something else in mind?
my thought would be on some kind of solid base or piles above the water line (basically at same level as the road) and then trail ramped up to it on either end

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions