Strava question

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I don't really use Strava. Ebike. What's the point?

Is there a way to see who posts a ride based on knowing the time and location? My wife was just out walking on the Greenway in Metuchen. 3 roadies passed her, 2 on the left, one on the right. The one on the right clipped her, ended up off the pavement, but saved it and pedaled on. 2 were wearing matching jerseys so I figure at least one of them is on Strava.

I don't really use Strava. Ebike. What's the point?

Is there a way to see who posts a ride based on knowing the time and location? My wife was just out walking on the Greenway in Metuchen. 3 roadies passed her, 2 on the left, one on the right. The one on the right clipped her, ended up off the pavement, but saved it and pedaled on. 2 were wearing matching jerseys so I figure at least one of them is on Strava.

flybys - if you are recording.
Use "today" for a local segment
might need to be premium.

Strava used to have “flybys” as a publicly-available feature, which shows where other people with public strava accounts where riding relative to your ride. You could also find riding segments along the greenway, go to the leaderboards and then filter for “Today” to look for them.

Both of those options probably require a premium subscription, though… 🙄

Hope she's OK. I ride there also on occasion. I had encounters with some crazies, especially closer to the Woodbridge/Fords side of Woodbridge Ave.

Hope she's OK. I ride there also on occasion. I had encounters with some crazies, especially closer to the Woodbridge/Fords side of Woodbridge Ave.
She was really just pissed off. The Greenway can get busy, but at 11:30 on a Monday it was empty.

I tried to explain to her that it is well known that roadies are all pricks.

well not all roadies are pricks but these guys are. edit - hope shes ok too and glad not injured.

Flyby feature used to be ON for everyone but about 2 years ago they turned it OFF for everyone due to privacy/stalker reasons. So if you are a premium user, you have to opt in and enable it in order for someone else to know you had a flyby with them (regardless activity type i.e. she was walking & they were riding). And even then, flyby can be limited to those you follow only.

So there's only a remote chance you could see in the stats who did the flyby, but if there's a way I can help you strava-spy on this with my premium access let me know.

Wife would have to know the specific location and hope there's a segment at that spot if she didnt record it as a GPS activity into Strava.

1713209859110.png

well not all roadies are pricks but these guys are. edit - hope shes ok too and glad not injured.

Flyby feature used to be ON for everyone but about 2 years ago they turned it OFF for everyone due to privacy/stalker reasons. So if you are a premium user, you have to opt in and enable it in order for someone else to know you had a flyby with them (regardless activity type i.e. she was walking & they were riding). And even then, flyby can be limited to those you follow only.

So there's only a remote chance you could see in the stats who did the flyby, but if there's a way I can help you strava-spy on this with my premium access let me know.

Wife would have to know the specific location and hope there's a segment at that spot if she didnt record it as a GPS activity into Strava.

View attachment 236266

Thanks. Since I don't use Strava I can get a free premium trial, but not going to bother. Not sure what I'd do with the info anyway unless it was one of my customers.

I detest riding on greenway paths for that reason - walkers, joggers, rollerblades... dogs on leashes... it's just not enjoyable for anyone. I feel safer on the road with cars. At least with drivers I can generally predict what they are going to do.

Strava? It's like any other type of social media. It's worth whatever you want it to be worth. If you go into it with an acidic attitude, then the chances are high you won't enjoy it or get anything out of it. I use it to track my rides. Nothing more, nothing less. When I don't upload a ride, I generally don't pay much attention to it.

I detest riding on greenway paths for that reason - walkers, joggers, rollerblades... dogs on leashes... it's just not enjoyable for anyone. I feel safer on the road with cars. At least with drivers I can generally predict what they are going to do.

Strava? It's like any other type of social media. It's worth whatever you want it to be worth. If you go into it with an acidic attitude, then the chances are high you won't enjoy it or get anything out of it. I use it to track my rides. Nothing more, nothing less. When I don't upload a ride, I generally don't pay much attention to I
I use Strava to monitor my own fitness level and see how I compare to others in my age group 64 to 70 on the same rides or segments......

Strava? It's like any other type of social media. It's worth whatever you want it to be worth. If you go into it with an acidic attitude, then the chances are high you won't enjoy it or get anything out of it. I use it to track my rides. Nothing more, nothing less. When I don't upload a ride, I generally don't pay much attention to it.
Agreed. The roads are better than any path. I don't know how many times I am on a path or trail and there are people walking straight across the entire trail, a person walking their dog with the leash across the whole trail or someone walking with headphones walking erratically when you are ringing the bell or signaling you are passing. Doesn't mean you should be a jerk and bump someone.

Back
Top Bottom