The DIY thread - DIYourself

Apparently they do it as a mating call. The louder the better and metal is louder. The web says once it get's lucky we will be good. Somebody better swipe right soon.
My neighbor hangs CDs from fishing line on the side of his house to stop them from pecking his wood siding. Same theory about the light reflection, except they blow in the wind so maybe more annoying to the peckers.

My neighbor hangs CDs from fishing line on the side of his house to stop them from pecking his wood siding. Same theory about the light reflection, except they blow in the wind so maybe more annoying to the peckers.
My wife already has cd's all over the yard to freak out the squirrels. I think they like them.

View attachment 235385

What am I doing wrong?

Caulking the bathroom tub: The spacing between the tub and the tile is uneven and pretty large in one spot. I've removed old caulk and cleaned the area. Let it sit overnight to make sure everything is dry. Clean again. Put backing rod in. Re-caulked. Let it sit for 24 hours with a tub full of water for a little extra weight while the caulk dries. Let the water out and let it sit for another day before actually using it... And it still seems to be coming apart again. WTF?

Back at it. Last chance for caulk advice/opinions. Photo to show how large the gap I'm dealing with is. My pinkie for reference.

PXL_20240506_234247640.MP.jpg

Back at it. Last chance for caulk advice/opinions. Photo to show how large the gap I'm dealing with is. My pinkie for reference.

View attachment 237937

I lost track - what is the gap between? wall and tub?

get some appropriate sized backer rod (home Depot - well Lowes where you live!) and a white siliconized caulk (or just white silicon). going to do two layers.
a flat layer which will cure concave in the gap, let it set up for a day, then a curved layer. I'd use a tool (rubbery thing with an appropriate radius) rather than my finger at that size.
is it consistent all the way?

if you don't want the white on the wall tile, tape it. Peel it off while the silicon is still "wet"

get some appropriate sized backer rod (home Depot - well Lowes where you live!) and a white siliconized caulk (or just white silicon). going to do two layers.
a flat layer which will cure concave in the gap, let it set up for a day, then a curved layer. I'd use a tool (rubbery thing with an appropriate radius) rather than my finger at that size.

if you don't want the white on the wall tile, tape it. Peel it off while the silicon is still "wet"
2 layers of silicone caulk?

gap is where the tub meets the wall

the tools (i used these on the last time i tried this):

PXL_20240507_131139221.jpg

wondering if i messed up on the backing rod or something... but when i pulled everything out, it was dry... just wet/coming away from the front of the tile/tub.

Last edited:
That's what I would have gone with. Backing Rod then thinner layer of silicone that dries for a day, then come back and then do the outer portion.

OK... i'll do two layers... i always thought that was a bad to double layer it like that.

I had a similar situation and went with backer rod and one single, gigantic, application of caulk and it turned out looking like a toddler smeared it on. I'd also have reservations about trying to get silicone to stick to an existing layer of silicone, but sounds like that's worth trying.

I had a similar situation and went with backer rod and one single, gigantic, application of caulk and it turned out looking like a toddler smeared it on. I'd also have reservations about trying to get silicone to stick to an existing layer of silicone, but sounds like that's worth trying.

don't use the shower between applications!

gap is where the tub meets the wall

the tools (i used these on the last time i tried this):

View attachment 237955

wondering if i messed up on the backing rod or something... but when i pulled everything out, it was dry... just wet/coming away from the front of the tile/tub.

the fact that the caulk you are using is paintable makes me not want to use it.
100% silicone - or siliconized caulk would be my go-to.

So not really DIY since I paid someone $20
To do it for me. But happy I got it done cheap.

This piece got blown off the gutter over the winter and since I don’t climb ladders over 6ft anymore I hadn’t found anyone to do it.

This morning my neighbor across the street had the “Ned Steven’s” gutter cleaning and repair company fixing her gutters. I strolled across the street as they were packing up and asked politely if he’d take $20 to run up the ladder and replace it with a few screws for me. He politely declined said the company was kind of strict about doing other work like that so I was like ok.

5 minutes later there was a knock at the front door and he was there with his ladder said he could do it no problem. Handed him
$20 and he reattached it for me.

I have no idea what they would have charged me if I called them just for this but
Gonna think maybe more than $20. Either way I’m good with it feels like an easy win. And no more pounding splashing water outside my bedroom window.

IMG_6560.jpeg

So not really DIY since I paid someone $20
To do it for me. But happy I got it done cheap.

This piece got blown off the gutter over the winter and since I don’t climb ladders over 6ft anymore I hadn’t found anyone to do it.

This morning my neighbor across the street had the “Ned Steven’s” gutter cleaning and repair company fixing her gutters. I strolled across the street as they were packing up and asked politely if he’d take $20 to run up the ladder and replace it with a few screws for me. He politely declined said the company was kind of strict about doing other work like that so I was like ok.

5 minutes later there was a knock at the front door and he was there with his ladder said he could do it no problem. Handed him
$20 and he reattached it for me.

I have no idea what they would have charged me if I called them just for this but
Gonna think maybe more than $20. Either way I’m good with it feels like an easy win. And no more pounding splashing water outside my bedroom window.

View attachment 237960
20240508_072436.jpg
It's time!

PXL_20240511_181621073.jpg

This is one of those bizarre things, where if you don't know what I'm doing, you'd never guess.

This is far from the "right" tool to do this with, but a wood lathe would be wildly oversized for this [plus side: carbide mows through wood with no issues, but I'm going to use the steady rest for the other ones]

I need to buy a can of white shellac, then I can get busy with it.

Back
Top Bottom