Tires. My head hangs low and my tail is tucked in shame.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Well guys, I’ve had a good run on the Maxxis Aspens. I have used them for everything from training rides at Hartshorn and Huber to podium at several NUE races. I used them in the marathon nationals for two years and tons of rides and Ringwood and the Frederick water shed. I’ve also chimney rock for years without major issue. I’m not sure if Max has changed the compounds or what but I still use the same 2.4 mm tires and even with a rear insert now. I’ve tried all different sealants, and for some reason this year I have had more flats than ever before. Not just pinch flats, last night I had a pinch and a tread flat at the same time. I always use exo tr version.

That was the long of it. The short end of it is I need a decently fast, high volume, XC race tire that’s a bit more adorable. Maybe it’s just a string of bad luck, but I’m not liking it. Let me know what you got.

What is your terrain like or is that not a primary factor for choosing XC tires? I've been running forekaster v1's on my Exie but when those dry up i might try the new pirelli scorpion xc line. With 7 tires in the lineup they cover loose, hardpack, rear, fast rolling, sport and more.

What is your terrain like or is that not a primary factor for choosing XC tires? I've been running forekaster v1's on my Exie but when those dry up i might try the new pirelli scorpion xc line. With 7 tires in the lineup they cover loose, hardpack, rear, fast rolling, sport and more.
Primarily rocky stuff. Frederick watershed chimney rock.

I like these, they also make 2.6

Attachments

• IMG_2898.png
    IMG_2898.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 34
Are you looking to switch from Maxxis? I've had good experiences with the Rekon and new Gen Forekaster.

I like these, they also make 2.6
I tried that (Barzo) last year on the rear in attempt to lose weight and RR and I got several flats within a few weeks (I'm 135lbs). Back to Mazza (not XC of course) F&R and they are solid on both bikes for many, many miles although a bit heavier at 950g. I've also heard good things about the Ray/Ralph combo.

Schwable. My racing days are long gone but for grip and traction I use the Hans Dampf Rear and Magic Mary up front. I mostly ride Wildcat, WayWay, Sterling, Jungle. Only had one flat situation that the sealant didn't fix with these. I run the Addix soft compound for its super traction on rock slabs etc. It wears out fast but the traction is better than any other tire I've tried.. The magic mary side knobs hook into fast turns nicely and if the front washes out at all on a turn the tire recovers and gets back on track really quickly.

I've had excellent flat avoidance (luck?) with the Vittoria Mezcal and Barzo. Runs contra to what Teutonic posted above, but that's the thing with tires. Everyone seems to have their own experience.

I also like the Mazza, but that's a totally different tire.

Looking to make one of my hardtails into a flat bar gravel bike bc of the arthritis in my hands. The question is tire recommendations I am looking at the Thunder Burt
by schwalbe 29x2.1.......

Are you looking to switch from Maxxis? I've had good experiences with the Rekon and new Gen Forekaster.
I have the new forekaster on the rwar now, liking it. Scares me a bit for a front tho.

@Dave Taylor i had a similar string of bad luck with maxxis DHR a few years ago. Makes me wonder if tirew that dont pass qc still make their way to market through discount retailers

Looking to make one of my hardtails into a flat bar gravel bike bc of the arthritis in my hands. The question is tire recommendations I am looking at the Thunder Burt
by schwalbe 29x2.1.......
You might also consider the Kenda Small Block 8. A bit cheaper and available in the same size.

Back
Top Bottom