Vintage Bike Knowledge Needed

iman29

Hey All,

After googling the hell out of this and finding too much conflicting information, I thought I would leverage the brain power here to understand the value of something like this bike. I thought there was a thread on vintage bikes here but I could not find it.

The backstory on this is a little difficult for me personally as this used to belong to my good friend of 10 years, who I met cycling, who sadly passed away back in January after 2 years of dealing with Stage 4 lung cancer (never smoked a day in his life) 😢

While I dont recall the full story on how he came to acquire this, his widow and family have entrusted me with a lot of his cycling related gear (clothes, tools, parts, bikes) and other things to sell or donate to cover some of his medical costs.

This one is a bit of a mystery to me since I am not into the vintage/collectable bike scene and it seems like this could be worth $200 or $1500 depending on what internet rabbit hole you go down. I've made my best effort to decode the serial number and I am pretty sure this bike is from the early 1970s.

I took a quick picture of it here and some parts that it looks like he might have ordered to put it back to original (ie it has Walmart grips on it right now).

Appreciate the feedback.

IMG_6175.jpeg
IMG_6176.jpeg

I had a bike like this. Maybe 1976 or 77. No idea what it is worth now. Mine had a weird springer fork on it, that I broke. My Dad's friend brazed it back together so many times

yeah prices are all over the place I have no idea what it could be really worth. I dont want to give it away for $100 to find it show up on antiques roadshow for $5000 tho LOL

yeah prices are all over the place I have no idea what it could be really worth. I dont want to give it away for $100 to find it show up on antiques roadshow for $5000 tho LOL
Nah, it's still a Huffy, a few sold for over $100 on eBay as likely a nostalgia purchase. Cool to see the plates and tags are in good shape. Even those 711 Huffys rode by Lemond, Phinney and Kelly aren't worth that much nowadays

I remember them, there was a girl’s version too, Sweet Thunder and it was pink.

A quick look at what has sold on BMX museum, most recent was a 1975 sold for $450 almost a year ago. Things are slower now. More have sold for less but the one you have there looks to be pretty nice. The #4 plates are worth something too. FYI, to sell on BMX museum you need a membership, $25 per year but it’s way better than paying fees per listing like eBay.

Don’t know the nuances of these bikes enough to recommend an asking price. GLWS

As you can see, it sold within 24 hours so there is demand. Start high, you can always lower it or take best offer. $1500 would be completely original, mint/ mostly unused and stored well IMO. Heck, the guy who bought this might want those #4 plates you have.
IMG_2672.jpeg

As you can see, it sold within 24 hours so there is demand. Start high, you can always lower it or take best offer. $1500 would be completely original, mint/ mostly unused and stored well IMO. Heck, the guy who bought this might want those #4 plates you have.
View attachment 236837
thanks! thats great intel for sure. Is this from the bmx museum thing you mentioned? seems like it might be worth the $25 to join just to see if I can get decent money for it.

and yes this one seems to be nearly all original except the grips, but I have the extra kit and number plates that would go with it. Even at $500 that would be a good sale especially to a collector type person who appreciates it.

I can't access the bmx museum from work PC but will check it out later at home.

thanks! thats great intel for sure. Is this from the bmx museum thing you mentioned? seems like it might be worth the $25 to join just to see if I can get decent money for it.

and yes this one seems to be nearly all original except the grips, but I have the extra kit and number plates that would go with it. Even at $500 that would be a good sale especially to a collector type person who appreciates it.

I can't access the bmx museum from work PC but will check it out later at home.
Yes, it’s from bmxmuseum.com

i’ve saved a small fortune in eBay fees over there. They still generally use PayPal which is a 2-3% fee but it gives buyers protection.

I remember them, there was a girl’s version too, Sweet Thunder and it was pink.

A quick look at what has sold on BMX museum, most recent was a 1975 sold for $450 almost a year ago. Things are slower now. More have sold for less but the one you have there looks to be pretty nice. The #4 plates are worth something too. FYI, to sell on BMX museum you need a membership, $25 per year but it’s way better than paying fees per listing like eBay.

Don’t know the nuances of these bikes enough to recommend an asking price. GLWS
I'm throwing this one out.

Attachments

• PXL_20240423_180209813.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240423_180209813.MP.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 18
Maybe check with The Bicycle Rack in Hightstown, I’m pretty sure the owner deals with vintage bikes.
Years ago they used to have vintage bike shows.
I bought my first “real” mountain bike from them in ‘91ish when they were still in Spotswood.

Back
Top Bottom