• Chain Waxing

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Not lubing your chain

• Overlubing your chain

• High Pivot Trail Bikes

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Insufficiently long headtubes for tall riders, coupled with silly-short zero rise stems.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Tubeless Sealant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flat Mount Brakes

• Headphones

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Sunglasses

• Total voters
i mean my bikes with the ISO speed stuff are alot more comfortable on long rides than my bikes without so maybe they are onto SOMETHING. (i didnt buy the bikes for the isospeed just happened to be there)

That was from me. Every XL bike I’ve bought always needs extra spacers, riser/longer stem and riser bars. Every time. Ridiculous. I’m 6’3” so not beyond the norm for a tall person.
Does this mean that you felt too hunched over with the stock xL setup?

Does this mean that you felt too hunched over with the stock xL setup?
Yep. Hunched over and cramped. I prefer to have my handlebar on the same horizontal plane as the saddle. When I bought my XL Fuel EX a few years ago, I set the seatpost/saddle height according to the Greg Lemond method (roughly 0.883 of one’s inseam) to start with. This enables a slight bend in my knee when pedal is near its lowest point. But the bike came with a shortish headtube, zero-rise 50mm stem and ~10 mm riser bar. The bars were easily 2” below saddle height. 😡. I ended up adding a 100mm 17 degree rise stem and a 30 mm riser bar along with the full stack of available spacers to get me where I needed to be.

The new scalpel looks sick.

No more AI Offset (I'm sure it was good to ride but bad for compatibility).
Other than the 14K top of the line bike, which is irrelevant to me No More lefty Again, good when it works but... anyway..
120 Front and Rear, good...

and then this... I mean, that doesn't even look clean.
I'd still consider this for my next race bike.
I don't mind the implications and having to bleed my brakes, but this routing is a step backwards IMO.

1711542019054.png

2 more things.

First, of course the pink bike reviewer had one of the scalpel frames crack during the test. Sure they had a 220 lb dude go off a 5 ft drop, but still. Man, that’s a bad look.

And secondly why is there such a lack of XC bike reviews written by actual XC racers/riders. They’re all written by people who normally ride “more gravity oriented bikes”. I feel like XC is making a little bit of a comeback based on all the new bikes, it being an Olympics year, and popularity of the racing. Why doesn’t pink bike have a former UCI World Cup XC racer doing reviews of XC bikes?

I only read bold text @jShort :)

And im still of the opinion the Ocho is the the best short travel fork I have ever used....I have many times ridden it back to back with the fox 34 on my tallboy and it was no comparison. But I can totally understand why cannondale wants to phase it out....any technology that is brand specific is going to add alot of cost, especially suspension.
Man, that’s a bad look.
I had to look this up

but there was an incident that ended the ride prematurely for another journalist. This particular rider, who weighs in the neighborhood of 220 lb (98 kg) went a little deep off a 5-foot rock drop, and the resulting landing force ended up snapping the frame at the seat tube near the shock mount area. Now, I should stress that although the drop wasn't huge, it was also bigger than what you'd see on a typical race course, and the fact that the rider went a little past the sweet spot certainly didn't help.

A 5ft drop is pretty big....that one up at kingdom behind the shop isnt even 5ft high....not that kind of thing I would be doing with my superlight XC bike. And 220lbs....like reading this, if I was buying an XC bike, that wouldnt affect my decision. On top of the fact that carbon frames SHOULD break eventually....then you get free brand new ones, which is awesome.

We were having a discussion here yesterday how the new Rockshox Flight Attendant Suspension will make frame design irrelevent and there will no longer be any difference in what XC bike you buy. Get whatever one has the best deal when you're looking because they will all literally ride the same. Even the Geo sheets on these bikes are all exactly the same now.

Having said that you know if you buy a Cannondale it will break and they will never have a replacement frame availble so...There's that.

My old Lefty was still one of the best forks I've ridden. But I sold the bike with that fork as I didn't want to rely on Cannondale to all of a sudden make it impossible to maintain. If it was something made by a regular suspension company I'd have more faith in owning one long term.

@jShort I'm not in the market for the something like that Scalpel but I was reading the review and basically stopped at the internal routing. They even mentioned they couldn't mess around with the fit on the test bike. Switching to a new bike usually has some fitment changes in stem/spacers/bars, how do you go through that process? I

I was mentioning to @UtahJoe how it's crazy the head tubes on these top-end XC bikes are slacker than my older Tallboy which was a "trail" bike.

@jShort I'm not in the market for the something like that Scalpel but I was reading the review and basically stopped at the internal routing. They even mentioned they couldn't mess around with the fit on the test bike. Switching to a new bike usually has some fitment changes in stem/spacers/bars, how do you go through that process? I
i assumed its because they couldn't add spacers. Which is weird because there are solutions to that. My Road bike has internal routing and has special spacers you can add or remove without removing the brake lines.
Also, you're not going to be able to add a different length stem because it all one piece with the bars.

The stem / Bars thing is not a big deal to me. As long as I can pick the stem length. But the headset spacers is an issue. I would imagine they find an easy solution to that. or someone can just 3d print spacers with little gaps so you cab slide in or out without removing the line,

We were having a discussion here yesterday how the new Rockshox Flight Attendant Suspension will make frame design irrelevent and there will no longer be any difference in what XC bike you buy. Get whatever one has the best deal when you're looking because they will all literally ride the same. Even the Geo sheets on these bikes are all exactly the same now.
this is really interesting. And true. Now they just need to make it a little cheaper and to come in all size shocks :)

Having said that you know if you buy a Cannondale it will break and they will never have a replacement frame availble so...There's that.
this was never the case (edit, adding "for me" ), Replacement frames were always readily available.

Last edited:
2 more things.

First, of course the pink bike reviewer had one of the scalpel frames crack during the test. Sure they had a 220 lb dude go off a 5 ft drop, but still. Man, that’s a bad look.

And secondly why is there such a lack of XC bike reviews written by actual XC racers/riders. They’re all written by people who normally ride “more gravity oriented bikes”. I feel like XC is making a little bit of a comeback based on all the new bikes, it being an Olympics year, and popularity of the racing. Why doesn’t pink bike have a former UCI World Cup XC racer doing reviews of XC bikes?
It's pretty bad form to report this failure of a pre-production bike in a media outlet. This shit happens a lot. (to many brands btw) It's rarely reported.

XC doesn't get "likes" in north america and because of that they will never get the media play. I feel like the only clips of XC bikes I see lately are with xc riders doing huge jumps..

We are seeing an uptick in XC bike sales as many people are committed to not riding an E-bike, but they want to go as fast as they can under their own power. Also, we are seeing many people who "overbiked" a big travel bike to ride 6mr and allaire are now coming back to grab a bike that is better suited for the given terrain.

The One piece bar and cables through the headset is a major F-You to anyone working on these bikes in the future. You will not be able to choose the stem length when you order the bike.. so you either get super lucky on the stem length, or you have to shell out ever more money to make the bike fit you. Bike companies say that the internal routing bs is driven by a demand in europe. Most shop people hate it. I casues way more issues than it solves.

Last edited:
Pink bike is notorious for bad reporting/bad press and are mostly gravity based. Them doing a review on xc bikes is like a roadie doing a review of a mtb. That being said, some of the drops the world cup courses are pretty legit, it is fair they are testing on them, albeit not by a big boi.

The integrated stem and bars and internal routing can all just go away. Period.

And yes, xc bikes are making a come back. Sometimes i think about a more xc’ish 120 bike that can climb better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom