What have you done to your bike today?

Based on tomorrow’s temps, ok, all week’s temps really, I freshened up the Synapse’s sealant and preventatively changed out the valve cores.
IMG_6667.jpeg

Charging up the Assioma Duo’s in preparation for, gulp, Road season.

Stripped Elphie in prep for Crush The Commonwealth next week. Will also use this as a test to see how well a waxed system works against Dumonde Tec. I’ve done nothing but wipe dirt off the chain for 840 miles according to Strava…

View attachment 236578

Dumonde is dirty AF.

View attachment 236579

View attachment 236583

And the clean poop.

View attachment 236580

View attachment 236581

Ran the chain through the steps 3x to make sure it’s really waxed.

View attachment 236582

Might ride this bike tomorrow to break the waxed chain in, but I’m more than likely gonna ride my other bike that’s new and cool.

Quasi wax test update. 400 miles in and the chain started making some squeaks. It did rain for 5 hours and 100ish miles were gravel so I don’t feel like that’s a bad mileage considering. For me in season I’d have to wax at least once a week so I’m not sure the benefit is there on this bike. Maybe having clean hands while changing a flat is a benefit? I’ll probably still do it because we have all the stuff and it’s quick.

Last night I realized my back tire on the road bike was kinda square and didn’t want to risk an issue for todays ride so I threw on a spare I had even tho the front one is a creamwall and the back one is black.

Next set of tires just going back to all black sidewalls since makes my older skinny carbon rims look more sleek.

IMG_6295.jpeg
IMG_6298.jpeg

I had to touch a non-waxed chain the other day, ew. Blowing through quick links is really the only downside I can see. Coming from someone who doesn't ride 100s of miles in a week. Or even a month, FWIW.

Yeah, clean is the upside. Dumonde last twice as long, is quieter, and has less friction but it's an absolute drivetrain destroyer. Like pouring 10w 30 on your bike 🤣

I'm gonna tell the people in charge we need the fancy Silca Wax so I can try that.

I had to touch a non-waxed chain the other day, ew. Blowing through quick links is really the only downside I can see. Coming from someone who doesn't ride 100s of miles in a week. Or even a month, FWIW.

I reuse my own quick links.

Won't do it for other people. That's a huge liability risk.

I reuse my own quick links.

Won't do it for other people. That's a huge liability risk.
Consensus seems to be you can get a few re-uses out of the 12sp eagle links. I killed one trying to size a new chain though, after putting it on 3x I could feel it was way more loose.

10sp links are a different story, I use the KMC links and they seem to hold up just fine.

Consensus seems to be you can get a few re-uses out of the 12sp eagle links. I killed one trying to size a new chain though, after putting it on 3x I could feel it was way more loose.

10sp links are a different story, I use the KMC links and they seem to hold up just fine.

When you consider that 8-speed links, for most of their existence, has no locks/nothing bad happened (they're closed by tension, driving OR derailleur), it's easier to reuse them.*

Lawyers feel differently.

*They still wear out, just like regular chain pins do.

Reactions: rlb
So... I finally bought an e-bike. A used 2021 Specialized Levo SL from an old friend who had upgraded to the current model.

It looks really nice:
1714521993467.png

And has a lot of nice upgrades: 2023 Fox 36 (160mm). GX AXS. Cascade link to bump travel up to 155mm.

I've had it about a week and finally got it over to Neshaminy to get used to it. It's a size M and I normally ride size L bikes (Spot and Megatower). But I figured being a year newer than the Spot and if I swapped out the 35mm reach stem for a 50mm reach, it would be fine.

I was wrong.

It feels so short... scary short. Not sure what to do other than put it back up for sale. Unless maybe someone has a line on a L front frame section...

On the plus side, the few times I was able to use it like an e-Bike, it was fun. Mainly the climbs where I could put it in Turbo and pedal like mad. I was still working: hit a max HR of 187 - but just flying up the hill was so fun.

Back
Top Bottom