2012 Feb. Mar. & Apr. JORBA Rides & Trail Work

**CANCELLED** March 24 Night Ride

March 24 JORBA-WSF night ride cancelled.
Current TWC forecast has the rain starting before noon Saturday and continuing thru Sunday.

The last night ride of the WSF season is scheduled for 4/28.
The last scheduled trail work day of the season is 4/7.

Last edited:
March 24 JORBA-WSF night ride cancelled.
Current TWC forecast has the rain starting before noon Saturday and continuing thru Sunday.
^^ very sad :(

The last night ride of the WSF season is scheduled for 4/28.
The last scheduled trail work day of the season is 4/7.

^^ Maybe I'll make this one...

Sunrise ride??!! No lights needed, helmet required, a large amount of sarcasm and humor is recommended. :D

Hey Rick,
I'm planning on a sunrise ride on Saturday but probably a little further north...maybe Mercer or Six Mile Run.
You are welcome to join us in Yankee country. :D

Last edited:
It actually started raining at 5:00 here. See ya Saturday mower monkey!
Bill

shure 'nuff. Will call Mega Munchies in Belleplain to ensure that they have plenty of chicken cheese steak fixins on hand. :D

Last edited:
April 7 Trail Work

Checking TWC, it looks like...

The forecast for the scheduled April 7 trail work at Wharton is partly sunny, mid 60s.
We're planning on deploying a marker post at the trailhead fork. (Even with the markers on the trees, people still ride past the trailhead for unplanned second laps. :) ) Hopefully the new marker post will help point people back to the lot. Maybe we'll firm up that tight hairpin in the pine saplings with some gravel. And then take a ride up the northern half of the white trail to clip back some scrub oaks.

All the usual... meet at 9:00 near the trailhead in Batsto Village Visitor Center parking lot. Bring adequate humor and something to drink. Quitting time is around noon.

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/album.php?albumid=332&pictureid=2723

Last edited:
Any chance of a tour of the blue trail going CCW after quitting time? If I'm gonna Trek all da way down yonder gotta get some miles.:D

At the very least we'll be warming up on the lawn, with John leading us thru the Shao-Lin Helicopter Rotor Moves. :D

Thank you!

Thanks to pibbles and sj_john, we checked off everything on todays TM to-do list. Plus fit in the time for short ride and.. discovered the failing point of the welds on an overloaded Costco garden cart. d'oh! :D

Hope to see some of you at BSF next weekend.

Last edited:
can't really say the welds "failed" if they probably weren't made to hold that much weight!
Bill (somewhat dedicated follower of the mower monkey!)

Seasons end

The last scheduled JORBA-WSF night (sunset?) ride of the season is Saturday April 28. (Look for the rides to start again in October.)

The weather forecast looks good, clear skies, quarter moon, and warm temps. Sunset is at 6:51.

All the usual text... wheels out at 6:00 (or maybe 6:15), back before 9:00. Fun conversational no-drop pace. The WSF staff allows JORBA members and WSF volunteer trail workers to meet after dark in the Batsto Visitor Center parking lot, near the trail head, for this ride. (Please do not park in this lot after hours w/o prior permission. You will be visited by the Park Police.) Helmet and light required. A fair amount of humor is recommended. :D

pssssst. The warm temps (mid 70s) means you will need to liberally apply bug spray.

Last edited:
April 28

Current TWC forecast for 08037 tomorrow night, has it as partly cloudy at 6:00pm. With the showers starting a little before 8:00.

I'll be riding at 5:00, sweeping back to parking lot at 6:00 in case a few show up. Maybe the showers will hold off and allow us to get 3+ hours of riding done. :)

PM or email or call my cell, for a last minute on-the-spot weather update. woopwoop.

Think i am going to try to bring my gear to work with me tomorrow, and hopefully be able to leave in time to make it. Granted if things go the way they normally do then there is a fair chance i'll be stuck there late. I'll call if i run borderline close. If you don't get a call then i'm either there on time or not going to make it.

Thanks to Kurt for leading us northern folk through the park for a great ride..

Thanks!

A big thank you to all that helped with Wharton trail maintenance this past season. And a hearty yell of *Cheeseburger!* :D to those that joined us on the night rides.

We are starting to put some of next seasons 2012/2013 WSF work and ride dates on http://wharton.jorba.org . First scheduled night ride is October 27. First scheduled trail work is November 10.

The Wharton Thanksgiving Weekend night ride returns to the JORBA Ride Series for another year. :D http://www.jorba.org/node/467

Some of us will continue with unscheduled trail work in the forest during the summer. PM me or John if you would like to join the fun and we will keep you in the loop.

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions