2023 garden thread

qclabrat

Has anyone had luck with hydroponics? Tried a few years back with tomatoes and had poor yields. I have a small spot in my bog filter flowing into a fish pond I'd like to use again. There's also a 200 gallon container I use to supply the waterfall which can also hold a few plants. Maybe try strawberries this year?PXL_20230426_135840231.jpg

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Figs grow on new and 1 year old wood. We trim back at least 1/3 of the tree every year, and crossing branches. These are10 years old. Every 6-7 years, they need to be pulled from the pot and 2" of roots trimmed all the way around (sawzall works). Add some new dirt and away you go. They take a lot of water, so we use a system developed by Bill's Figs whick leaves room for a reservoir on the bottom with burlap to wick it to the soil.

We have one in the ground against the house on the south side. We wrap it in the winter and it does well. Doesnt produce as many. It is a hearty green variety.
Great info, thank you. Bill knows his figs, eh? We'll probably put these two in the ground this year and clone off some more to propagate in pots using Bill's techniques.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Great info, thank you. Bill knows his figs, eh? We'll probably put these two in the ground this year and clone off some more to propagate in pots using Bill's techniques.

Between a group of us we own 8ish varieties from him. He used to run classes a couple times a year. If you want something different, visit him early fall and he will let you try all you can eat! Sells 1-3yo rooted cuttings.

You should also look into paw-paws (visit @michael.su ). Asian pears also do well. We planted a persimmon last year. Hopefully I'll live long enough to see fruit.

olegbabich

Pulled the figs out of their 41F hibernation room last weekend.
Last year was a crummy fig year - looks like they want to make up for it.
A ton of confused buds decided to become fruit.
More on the other trees too.

camera was totally confused about what i wanted a picture of.

View attachment 211680

obviously i haven't participated in the lawn thread yet....
More info please on Hibernation Room, age of trees and anything else. We never have stuff this early.

Very Cool

Patrick

Staff member
More info please on Hibernation Room, age of trees and anything else. We never have stuff this early.

Very Cool

The room is an insulated space in my barn with very small windows.
Thermostat set at 41 - it is a small, electric heater mounted on the ceiling, pointing somewhat down and away from the plants.
We start bumping-up the temps in mid-march, using the schedule - so warmer during the day.
I'm planning on adding some artificial sunlight - on the list.

That being said - we've never had this many breba figs.
The variety pictured is a Celeste Fig, and known for it (and for them dropping off the plant.)
I didn't take a pic of the Bordeaux Fig - which has about 20 on it - they will mature.
This is the 4th summer for both of these plants.

Mahnken

Just looked them up and see they live for over ten years. Down to my last hen, no longer egg laying, and considering a few new poulets.
I don't eat eggs so I didn't really care about that, lol. But the quineas are supposed to be great at controlling the tick population, and my yard has plenty for them to feast on. I'm in the process of converting my shed into a coop for them. I'll keep them in there for a couple weeks to get them used to having a place with food and water to call home, then I'll open the doors and let them roam free with the hope that they'll come home every night. They apparently like to lay their eggs up in trees so I'll put some shelves in the shed for them. Hopefully that's where they'll lay them. If not, I'll have to find them in the trees. I'll give the eggs away to the neighbors to make up for all the noise they make 🤣

Patrick

Staff member
I don't eat eggs so I didn't really care about that, lol. But the quineas are supposed to be great at controlling the tick population, and my yard has plenty for them to feast on. I'm in the process of converting my shed into a coop for them. I'll keep them in there for a couple weeks to get them used to having a place with food and water to call home, then I'll open the doors and let them roam free with the hope that they'll come home every night. They apparently like to lay their eggs up in trees so I'll put some shelves in the shed for them. Hopefully that's where they'll lay them. If not, I'll have to find them in the trees. I'll give the eggs away to the neighbors to make up for all the noise they make 🤣

Not only should they come home - you'll need to close the door every night.
They are too stupid to stay in the tree, and even if so, raccoons will chase them out.
Ready the kids to lose a couple. Never know what is flying overhead which might see a meal too.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i need someone with a green thumb to come visit me and help me with gardening and show me the ropes on actually growing things... i'm not doing so well with my current succulents and that does not bode well for an actual garden. :(

Mahnken

They are too stupid to stay in the tree, and even if so, raccoons will chase them out.
Ready the kids to lose a couple. Never know what is flying overhead which might see a meal too.
I've been thinking about putting an auto-magic door on there that opens at sunrise and closes at sunset everyday. It's all new to me, so we'll see how it goes, hopefully I don't lose too many in the first year.

Cole

i need someone with a green thumb to come visit me and help me with gardening and show me the ropes on actually growing things... i'm not doing so well with my current succulents and that does not bode well for an actual garden. :(
The only place I have ever seen suclents grow is Lowes, when I take them home they die! The garden generally grows fine for me

ekuhn

I've been thinking about putting an auto-magic door on there that opens at sunrise and closes at sunset everyday. It's all new to me, so we'll see how it goes, hopefully I don't lose too many in the first year.
This is the way.

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Between a group of us we own 8ish varieties from him. He used to run classes a couple times a year. If you want something different, visit him early fall and he will let you try all you can eat! Sells 1-3yo rooted cuttings.

You should also look into paw-paws (visit @michael.su ). Asian pears also do well. We planted a persimmon last year. Hopefully I'll live long enough to see fruit.
Those SIP pots are amazing for figs.
I built my own last year using 1/2 - 55 gal drums (plastic) using Bill’s tutorial and my figs exploded with fruit. Chicago Hardy, Brown Turkey and Violette De Bordeaux. I was figged out in short order.
Fig pic below from last year but mine look a couple of weeks ahead of @Patrick with tons of figs forming already. Looks like a Breba and a regular crop is possible this year. 👍
Don’t forget to pinch your figs in June!

Pawpaws are in bloom right now with the promise of tropical goodness come September!

As for Persimmon, I determined that my lone American persimmon was a male last year so I multi-grafted 3 genetically different female scion wood to it (American and Asian)
About 6 grafts took! My freak tree is looking good leafing out now. Maybe I’ll get some sort of fruit this year?!
It’s safe to say that this tree would not be allowed in Florida do to its gender confusion. 😂

Attachments

• IMG_5903.jpeg
    IMG_5903.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4830.jpeg
    IMG_4830.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 8

Patrick

Staff member
The only place I have ever seen suclents grow is Lowes, when I take them home they die! The garden generally grows fine for me

wow - i have one that actually flowers every year.
don't over water them - and plant them in sand/soil mix - lots of sand.

and in other garden news - set a bunch of pears, peaches, cherries, and some other fruit - maybe a plumcot?
Have a flower on one of my paw-paws, but they are not self-pollinating. it is also too young.
Blueberries have a bunch of blooms.

IMG_4222.JPG

Reactions: SAM

qclabrat

Yeah, the hawks around here got one of mine. Also the raccoons. Here's one I caught, well sorta ...PXL_20201005_151833292.jpg

qclabrat

Those doors work great, though didn't use one. Mine have a covered run so I just open and shut the coop daily. Do you have foxes?

Top Bottom