22-23 Ski and Snowboard thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Gonna be one hell of a drive.

Greetings from Plattekill Mtn!

We received 12″ + of NEW SNOW as of mid morning Tuesday…and WE’RE OPENING!!! “Powder Daize” Wednesday March 15 – 100% UNGROOMED POWDER! Up to 3 FEET is possible. Stay tuned for updates. Lifts spin 8:45am-4:15pm.
*** We will have LIMITED TICKETS FOR SALE FOR WEDNESDAY, SOLD ONLINE ONLY!!!

We will have our beginner trails off the Triple Chair groomed, however all other terrain will be completely ungroomed. Our Learning Center is closed.
Platty is 30 minutes father than Hunter for me. I have a small window. I'm also hesitant because it can be a nightmare moving around in deep snow when you're on a snowboard.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Platty is 30 minutes father than Hunter for me. I have a small window. I'm also hesitant because it can be a nightmare moving around in deep snow when you're on a snowboard.
It's a half hour further for everybody. But it's TOTALLY worth it. On a day like tomorrow there will be untracked lines all day long and zero lift lines.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Dedicated skiers here. A guy just comes in from the slopes runs into bathroom and puts on a shirt and tie for his 11am zoom meeting.
That's awesome. I wonder if he'll hide his background? Also, it's been a while since i've been to Platty (maybe 8-10 years?). I hope cell service has improved or they installed public wifi!

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Even more exhausting at Platty. 30" which had been wind affected. I'm sitting here and I still feel myself going up and down thru the chop. The first few hours were bliss, then it became exhausting. Apparently riding an E-bike doesn't do much for your skiing.

IMG_2014.jpgIMG_2013.jpg

roc

Skied up at Mt Snow. I was originally coming home after skiing on Tuesday, but I didn’t want to battle the storm. All told, we got 46” in 36 hours.

a lot of lifts were on wind hold, so there were a couple of long lift lines. This is the most snow I’ve ever seen in Vermont, in that short of time. getting back to the rental house after skiing on Tuesday was ridiculous. the house was 2 miles from the base, we saw at least 5 accidents and too many cars to count stuck in snow banks. It really was insane.

on the mountain, I’ve never seen some many people just eat it and get buried and stuck. There was so much carnage. one guy said, “man, I can ski ice, but this powder is impossible“.

it was so deep, that if it wasn’t a pretty good pitch, you had to stay in somebody’s track. It was just crazy, you always hope for the big one, but in reality, a 16-20” storm is probably the sweet spot.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring

Skied up at Mt Snow. I was originally coming home after skiing on Tuesday, but I didn’t want to battle the storm. All told, we got 46” in 36 hours.

a lot of lifts were on wind hold, so there were a couple of long lift lines. This is the most snow I’ve ever seen in Vermont, in that short of time. getting back to the rental house after skiing on Tuesday was ridiculous. the house was 2 miles from the base, we saw at least 5 accidents and too many cars to count stuck in snow banks. It really was insane.

on the mountain, I’ve never seen some many people just eat it and get buried and stuck. There was so much carnage. one guy said, “man, I can ski ice, but this powder is impossible“.

it was so deep, that if it wasn’t a pretty good pitch, you had to stay in somebody’s track. It was just crazy, you always hope for the big one, but in reality, a 16-20” storm is probably the sweet spot.
Agreed. Too much snow can be a hassle. Vermont will be epic by Friday after everything has been properly groomed.

don

Missed the storm but was able to drive up to Stowe on Thursday night. It sounded like they got about 30" of snow from the storm. Driving up the sides of 91 and 89 had snowfall but I could tell there was a lot of compaction and melt already.

Friday wasn't bad at all and a lot was filled in but I had to search around for some decent pockets of snow and the really good turns. The main runs were chunky and it was a little on the warmer side so there was plenty to turn on but it was work. Some rain came thru mid day but didn't last too long.

IMG_7976.jpeg

IMG_7981.jpeg

Saturday was a completely different story. The warmer temps and even more rain on Friday night firmed things up massively. Scratchy and blue ice in sections so I only did 13k vertical and that was probably pushing it with the flat light and weekend crowd added to the crappy conditions.

More snow came in last night and we should have gone to the mtn but we had to head home earlier than planned so we just did some snowshoeing from the house so the dogs could get exercise before the 7 hour car drive. My guess it was fun there today and with a sunny 40 deg forecast tomorrow will have some very nice spring conditions - oh well - next time :shrug:

IMG_8019.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom