Born again...or aspiring for change.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I'll reintroduce myself because no one knows who I am. I'm Dave, I'm 46 and I want to start over on a few levels. Mostly training, happiness and contentment. Some know I like a good debate, I don't always let things go and don't accept certain things. Long story short, my life is quite a bit different at the moment than it was 4 months ago. Some people would say I was crazy for giving up a job that was 4 miles away where I could commute and hit the best trails on the east on the way home. I woke up at 5:30am, rode to work, started at 6am and was done and on my bike again at 2:30. Great unless you boss is a lazy shit and basically assigns you to sit in a quiet welding shop in farm country doing zilch for months on end. I was getting home and falling asleep on the couch.

Fast forward to now. I decided to try something and it's working for now but I don't have faith long term. My old employer asked me to come back(I considered moving the fam back to Jersey but that's not happening. (If I was @UtahJoe and WFH across from awesome trails it would be one thing but in my line of work I am basically forced to commute to shitropolis of Newark). Don't try to argue that it's not that bad or not that congested. Working blue collar in NJ means going to where the work and money is(union jobs) and it is so damned congested. Way worse than when I left 2 years ago)almost to the day). Anywho, I am now a shop foreman with minimal hands on. I have a take-home work truck, a laptop, a work phone I can use for personal as well as a great pay rate, benefits and the healthcare is 100% paid for. Salary wise I make about 30% more but when you put the enitre package side by side it's more like 45-50% more. The tough part? I leave Maryland at 2:15-2:30am to start workout either 5:30 or 6am Monday. I also work a long day(11 hours). Monday is typically an off day from exercise with some yoga if feeling up to it. I try to rest good Monday into Tuesday and I do 2 more 11 hour days. Tuesday is usually weights and a run at a shitty gym and Wednesday is a tempo ride at Allaire with the old crew. Thursday I try to start early and leave by noon. I am home by 4-6 on Thursdays typically in Md. I then have fri, sat and sun off.

What I need to change. I am grateful for my friend Greg and his wife that I am staying with but Freehold is a bitch of a commute even if it is only 3 days a week. Basically I've been digging a whole of exhaustion and finally got sick. The change I need is steering away from alcohol(this means cold turkey for me). I'll soon ban it from my house at least temporarily. I still want to train and race but really need optimize things and most important of them all is rest. I'm actively seeking another job but in the mean time I have the opportunity to do some critical stuff like Rahway and warinaco. My diet is better but far from perfect. I need to stop the slice of pizza after every rider.I eat well at work but would stop at Tommy's on rt 9 too often.

So there you have it. I'm trying to be open minded and embrace some needed change. Ultimately I will find a job closer to home but in the mean time I am looking for a room to rest my head 3-4 nights a week for not an arm and a leg and a bit closer to essex county. The being away from family adds up and now getting the flu at the beginning of my 11 day vacation doesn't help.

Last edited:
Well I don't wfh, at best I get 1 day a week at home... Hour 15 of my day is wasted commuting... But I am surrounded by great mtb trails everywhere and I'm certainly not spending my day in Newark
My bad, I thought you did. But yea, the entire metro area is obnoxious.

I leave Maryland at 2:15-2:30am to start workout either 5:30 or 6am Monday. I also work a long day(11 hours). Monday is typically an off day from exercise with some yoga if feeling up to it. I try to rest good Monday into Tuesday and I do 2 more 11 hour days. Tuesday is usually weights and a run at a shitty gym and Wednesday is a tempo ride at Allaire with the old crew. Thursday I try to start early and leave by noon. I am home by 4-6 on Thursdays typically in Md. I then have fri, sat and sun off.
I could do this for a week before I would crack. You need to value that time you are driving to and from MARYLAND to work in NJ. This is insane.

I did something similar when I was cutting my teeth in finance fourteen years ago - renting a room outside of Philly and working four twelves and a half day Friday, then back to the shore as I was dating a wonderful woman who is now my wife. I still spent 2-3 hours in the car daily getting through Philly - so collectively 13-15 hour work days four days a week then Friday, which was a half day but 4 hours in the car.

It sucked. I did it for a year and a half until I found something close to home. I give you a lot of credit - I pretty much hated my life then but it worked out. More credit to the fact that you have a family, as being away from mine and constantly working killed the human spirit.

Sending you positive vibes - it would be nice to have DT back in Nj full time, but the shed is a special place. Being that close to DC is pretty
Cool too!

I can barely sit in the car for the 30 minutes it takes me to get to Summit. My free time is worth whatever pay cut it is. Your kids will never remember how much money you made.
I think the point for DT is short term pain for long term gain - having done this I would 100% repeat the process. Depending on what you are looking for in a career in can drastically cut down on the time it takes to get there.

A lot of people consider the “right now” when looking at decisions like this. The real benefit comes years down the line. Is it a gamble - yes.

I think the point for DT is short term pain for long term gain - having done this I would 100% repeat the process. Depending on what you are looking for in a career in can drastically cut down on the time it takes to get there.

A lot of people consider the “right now” when looking at decisions like this. The real benefit comes years down the line. Is it a gamble - yes.
Did you have kids when you did this? You don't get the years with the kids back.

I get it. We were considering moving back. My total commute time for 4 work days is about 13-14 hours.

When did you start commuting again? I thought you were working local down there immediately after you moved?

My parents chose the "work over family" route while we were growing up, and as a result I have zero relationship with either of them. That time never comes back. Ever. Money is easy to find.
My parents did the work thing as well. We have a great relationship and I take my parents on vacation annually. I am able to understand the sacrifice they made.

Money can be easy to find - but what kind of volumes of money are we talking about? If it is easy to find why did you have a go fund me for Alaska - or are we all saps?

Did you have kids when you did this? You don't get the years with the kids back.
Nope - no kids when I did it. I agree on the time though, with this route sacrifices are going to be made. My rule of thumb for this was you need an opportunity you cannot find locally, not a lateral move but vertical both in money and position. Hopefully when something similar (or better) comes up without the commute you are at the front of the line.

Definitely not for everyone. But this is also why when someone says “it must be nice” I cringe.

My parents did the work thing as well. We have a great relationship and I take my parents on vacation annually. I am able to understand the sacrifice they made.

Money can be easy to find - but what kind of volumes of money are we talking about? If it is easy to find why did you have a go fund me for Alaska - or are we all saps?

Like I said, money is easy to find. If I had started a campaign to pay for my hospital bills instead of a bike race it would've went over better in the long run. Next time I'll do it the other way around.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom