Camping/RVing/Vanlife thread

Only ever been tent camping, would be interested in seeing what other tents people are using. This Colman tent could be a little bit more refined but has been an incredible purchase for less than $100. Replacement would need to fit a twin air mattress and allow a reasonably sized human to stand atleast partially. Size/weight doesn't matter since I'm never far from my truck camping.
I have a 4 person tent from REI. Can stand up inside, fit a cot, and camp chair. It's got to be at least 12-13 yrs old.

Been building this beast for the last 2 years, sorta finished aside from some more suspension work on the list.

Was always into the van thing, building them out, explore a bit then sell. I think I’ll be hanging onto this one for a while.

I have family in New Mexico so I’ll make my yearly bike trip to Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico. It’s definitely not a cozy full size RV/trailer but it’s perfect for getting where the humans aren’t. Very comfortable for 2 plus a dog.

Truck is a Cummins swapped F350

Camper is a flatbed shell model from Bison Overland. One of the only companies that offer a blank canvass to do your own buildout.

Wow - that Super Duty is ultra impressive.

Do you have a thread, IG page or anything with more information on your build process? Would really love to know the drivetrain/suspension configuration.

Wow - that Super Duty is ultra impressive.

Do you have a thread, IG page or anything with more information on your build process? Would really love to know the drivetrain/suspension configuration.
Thanks!! @mtb_overtheland on ig

There’s not too much on the build, this was a project for a long time while messing around with my other van before it sold.
Would be happy to answer any questions about it. Feel free to dm me here or ig, I can go way more in depth without boring everyone

Currently putting parts together for a coilover conversion. Not completely happy with the ride on the front end icon stuff I put in.
Engine is a fully rebuilt 97 12 valve with some head work, ppump mods, injectors, compound turbos…all the fun stuff. Strapped to a beefed up NV5600 6spd

Thanks!! @mtb_overtheland on ig

There’s not too much on the build, this was a project for a long time while messing around with my other van before it sold.
Would be happy to answer any questions about it. Feel free to dm me here or ig, I can go way more in depth without boring everyone

Currently putting parts together for a coilover conversion. Not completely happy with the ride on the front end icon stuff I put in.
Engine is a fully rebuilt 97 12 valve with some head work, ppump mods, injectors, compound turbos…all the fun stuff. Strapped to a beefed up NV5600 6spd

Thanks - now following on IG :thumbs:

That's the 7.3/leafer version of the SD right? So swapping to coil sprung front end?

Drivetrain sounds very robust and simple. So good to see a manual gearbox on a build.

Thanks - now following on IG :thumbs:

That's the 7.3/leafer version of the SD right? So swapping to coil sprung front end?

Drivetrain sounds very robust and simple. So good to see a manual gearbox on a build.
It was a 6.0 (blown up) but yes leaf sprung and swapping to coil.

Robust, reliable, and simple to fix

Reactions: don
Sorry - I apologize in advance, I’m about to nerd out because camping gear is something I can get mildly obsessed about… and I finally got around to taking some pictures of my backpacking turned moto-camping set up.

This is everything except food and water which goes in a backpack I wear and there still is room in the dry bag in case I want to bring some other crap. This is fine for an overnight. Longer stay and I’m bringing an extra dry sack that takes the full pillion seat. This set up has my winter sleeping bag, so with the summer bag (and if I choose tarp vs tent) it gets even smaller and lighter.

This setup is: sleeping pad, 2-man tent (which is luxury for me vs a tarp), ground cloth, poncho, stove, cookware and utensils, a light or two, plus all the crap I need to fix a flat or take care of any minor repairs like a blown apart clutch cover, or torn wire or cable, etc. I do have a couple wrenches included in the bottom of the dry bag to take off the wheels in case of a flat (both my bikes have tubes so I can’t get away with a plug). I also have a camp chair which I can strap to everything but it’s not much to strap. It’s a Crazy Creek which I highly recommend. Packs so small and gets you through a night around a campfire.

IMG_5568.jpegIMG_5567.jpegIMG_5566.jpegIMG_5565.jpeg

Sorry - I apologize in advance, I’m about to nerd out because camping gear is something I can get mildly obsessed about… and I finally got around to taking some pictures of my backpacking turned moto-camping set up.

This is everything except food and water which goes in a backpack I wear and there still is room in the dry bag in case I want to bring some other crap. This is fine for an overnight. Longer stay and I’m bringing an extra dry sack that takes the full pillion seat. This set up has my winter sleeping bag, so with the summer bag (and if I choose tarp vs tent) it gets even smaller and lighter.

This setup is: sleeping pad, 2-man tent (which is luxury for me vs a tarp), ground cloth, poncho, stove, cookware and utensils, a light or two, plus all the crap I need to fix a flat or take care of any minor repairs like a blown apart clutch cover, or torn wire or cable, etc. I do have a couple wrenches included in the bottom of the dry bag to take off the wheels in case of a flat (both my bikes have tubes so I can’t get away with a plug). I also have a camp chair which I can strap to everything but it’s not much to strap. It’s a Crazy Creek which I highly recommend. Packs so small and gets you through a night around a campfire.

View attachment 214539View attachment 214540View attachment 214541View attachment 214542
Very cool!

Only ever been tent camping, would be interested in seeing what other tents people are using. This Colman tent could be a little bit more refined but has been an incredible purchase for less than $100. Replacement would need to fit a twin air mattress and allow a reasonably sized human to stand atleast partially. Size/weight doesn't matter since I'm never far from my truck camping.
Spend a little on a good tent. You won’t regret it. I have a 5 year old Marmot limestone 4p. You can find one for under $300. It’s super easy to put up, relatively light but sturdy, and comfortably sleeps 2 adults.

IMG_4251.jpeg
IMG_4250.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4250.jpeg
    IMG_4250.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
When I was racing stuff like LBD or 24 Hr races, I never wanted a good camp setup - just a minimalist setup and keep moving. Make it unappealing and there is no reason to stop. Case in point, my ghetto pit at LBD - this was my entire setup for 13+ hours all six years I did that race:

LBDPit.JPG

My 24 hour setup was only slightly more (I added a tent so I could change kit if I had to, but that was about it.) When I was racing, I would purposely make it miserable in my pit just to give myself no reason to stop, but the moment it's not about racing, I want convenience and comfort. I prefer something like Raystown with its elevated flat campgrounds and access to hot water showers. I'd probably be okay with more primitive camping if I could bring my own amenities with me, though. I'd love to have a nice setup - something like the Timberleaf Pika is the dream.

Pika.jpg

When I was racing stuff like LBD or 24 Hr races, I never wanted a good camp setup - just a minimalist setup and keep moving. Make it unappealing and there is no reason to stop. Case in point, my ghetto pit at LBD - this was my entire setup for 13+ hours all six years I did that race:

View attachment 214604

My 24 hour setup was only slightly more (I added a tent so I could change kit if I had to, but that was about it.) When I was racing, I would purposely make it miserable in my pit just to give myself no reason to stop, but the moment it's not about racing, I want convenience and comfort. I prefer something like Raystown with its elevated flat campgrounds and access to hot water showers. I'd probably be okay with more primitive camping if I could bring my own amenities with me, though. I'd love to have a nice setup - something like the Timberleaf Pika is the dream.

View attachment 214605
This was the model that got me interested in a teardrop and resulted in going down the rabbit hole.

We bought a different Nucamp model (T@B320S Boondock) that was bigger and had more features. The dealer I purchased from is not far from you in Perkasie. They sell new and used. https://www.millertrailersales.net/

This was the model that got me interested in a teardrop and resulted in going down the rabbit hole.

We bought a different Nucamp model (T@B320S Boondock) that was bigger and had more features. The dealer I purchased from is not far from you in Perkasie. They sell new and used. https://www.millertrailersales.net/
I recognize one of the guys in that photo on their site! He used to be a member at my old gym. I know there are trailer dealers all over this area - I think there are three of them alone within 5 miles of my house. I'm afraid to go down that rabbit hole because I'd completely geek out on that and end up getting every bell and whistle available.

If I wasn't hitched to my lady, I'd have a teardrop, love the layout and the rear kitchen setup.

Camping a bunch this summer, two biggest trips is into Baxter State Park in Maine and Olympic Peninsula in Washington state.

Back
Top Bottom