Carbon Wheelset or Group set

Cole

I am itching to start upgrading my Deore Ripley. Not sure what to do... Swap out to XT, or are Carbon wheels worth it?

I am itching to start upgrading my Deore Ripley. Not sure what to do... Swap out to XT, or are Carbon wheels worth it?
Reducing rotational weight with carbon wheels is a great upgrade, but $$$$. Assuming when you say XT means shifter, RD and cassette. I doubt you will see a huge difference in performance by switching. Replace the cassette when it's time to replace with SLX and upgrade the shifter and RD later.

Reducing rotational weight with carbon wheels is a great upgrade, but $$$$. Assuming when you say XT means shifter, RD and cassette. I doubt you will see a huge difference in performance by switching. Replace the cassette when it's time to replace with SLX and upgrade the shifter and RD later.
Yeah I know the wheels aren't cheap. So wait on the drivetrain until something breaks?

Yeah I know the wheels aren't cheap. So wait on the drivetrain until something breaks?
If you got money to burn, get it all.

Chains wear chainrings and cassettes, so replace when needed. Shifters are pretty much all the same. RDs get mangled with shit goes sideways.

That being said, you may have to start shopping now for all of them before you need them. Because supply chain issues.

If it's in the cards, buy DT 350s/30mm ish wide CF rims. DT Competition/Sapim Race spokes if on a budget, Revolutions/Lasers if you aren't. Get bladed spokes if you've got money to blow, or Berds if you've got money to blow/care about ride quality.

Pretty much every self-branded hub out there is a Formula rebrand...not necessarily a bad thing, but if you kill hubs, it's something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
If you decide to go the carbon wheels route I have an awesome set available if you're interested.

Wheelset all day!!

And, if its in the budget, the Zipp Moto 3Zero’s are off the chart!! They remind me of Old BMX z-rims in structure. E-bike rated and no inserts required. Ive bottomed out the rear tire a few time and just keep moving. Tough as nails

Whats the goal? Shed weight? Better performance?
Go wheel set or fork
Depending what you currently have on your bike, wheels and fork will knock down weight and give you better performance.... with noticeable differences.

If you just want hang with the cool kids in school... I guess AXS?

Swap out to xt shifter. Then look into wheels.
I agree that upgrading the shifter makes more of a noticeable difference than the RD.

Personally I usually don’t upgrade drivetrain stuff until it breaks or wears out. Or come across a good deal.

Nice wheels are a good investment, I’m guessing your stock hubs probably don’t have good engagement, you’ll notice that difference immediately.

Having just switched to a carbon MTB wheel set. I would say that was the biggest improvement that I've done.
However....
I only saved .990 lb of rotating weight. Rear wheel ended up heavier than stock aluminum wheel. Im sure all the savings was in tire choice and the front wheel was extremely lighter than stock.
But the ride feel was worth every penny spent.

The only real difference between derailleurs (other than weight) is what the pulleys spin on, for Shimano; plain bearings [read: bushings] for Deore, ceramic for XT, ball bearings for XTR. The clutch assembly is functionally identical--though you do have to remove the cover to adjust it below XT.

The shifters get actual functional upgrades: multiple downshifts, and a bearing for the upshift paddle.

Whats the goal? Shed weight? Better performance?
Go wheel set or fork
Depending what you currently have on your bike, wheels and fork will knock down weight and give you better performance.... with noticeable differences.

If you just want hang with the cool kids in school... I guess AXS?
Not too concerned with weight, just performance, I guess. Current fork is a Fox 34 performance.

Th
Having just switched to a carbon MTB wheel set. I would say that was the biggest improvement that I've done.
However....
I only saved .990 lb of rotating weight. Rear wheel ended up heavier than stock aluminum wheel. Im sure all the savings was in tire choice and the front wheel was extremely lighter than stock.
But the ride feel was worth every penny spent.
Thanks, glad to hear the feel is that noticable. That was my concern, spending that kind money and not noticing the difference.

Back
Top Bottom