Chain Wax Discussion thread

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is about how dirty a properly waxed chain gets. Completely silent and saving watts.

0E3DD5C7-69FC-485C-B5B2-7F77734E97C0.jpeg

I am trying nixfrixshun new green genie wax based lube. It is impressive so far and just drip-on.
I listened to another podcast with a guy who does wear and efficiency testing on chains.

You need to strip the brand new chain completely of the stock grease. (It’s terrible).
Then apply the wax and let it dry. They said the silca stuff was the best by far, but I don’t think that NFS was part of the test.

I geeked out and now that I’ve done it a few times, it’s amazing. A little more work but I never thought I’d be able to tell a difference. I can. And no mess chains are awesome.

This is about how dirty a properly waxed chain gets. Completely silent and saving watts.

Wax done right is awesome! Josh from Silca goes massively geek on this topic on his podcast. I’ve been using it on one of bikes for a few years now and love it. I use the Absolute Black bricks.

Wax done right is awesome! Josh from Silca goes massively geek on this topic on his podcast. I’ve been using it on one of bikes for a few years now and love it. I use the Absolute Black bricks.
I used the directions from the silca website.

Their drip based wax makes it easy to “top off” a chain that could use more wax.

Also: No more cat 5 tattoos!

That sounds like a great idea. The Absolute Black drip wax is astronomical.
Yea, the silca isn’t much at all. More than oil based, but after learning how shitty any oil based lube is for anything off-road, I don’t mind.

I just ordered a new chain for my road bike so I can wax that too

Yea, the silca isn’t much at all. More than oil based, but after learning how shitty any oil based lube is for anything off-road, I don’t mind.

Admittedly I didn't go all in on the cleaning but I wanted to see how it acted on a dirty--ish drivetrain. I have been on T-9 forever but damn you need to put that shit on all the time, but the anti-corrosive properties of T-9 is unmatched (which the NFS owner did note at his booth at the Philly Bike Expo).

Admittedly I didn't go all in on the cleaning but I wanted to see how it acted on a dirty--ish drivetrain. I have been on T-9 forever but damn you need to put that shit on all the time, but the anti-corrosive properties of T-9 is unmatched (which the NFS owner did note at his booth at the Philly Bike Expo).
T-9 definitely requires more time. I switched to Pro Gold just to try when the LBS didn't have T-9 when I was re-stocking. I've since gone back to T-9 because I used a lot of Pro Gold to keep the chain silent.

Starting with a new chain is definitely a difference maker. I tried cleaning one real good then waxing but didnt last long and not a pretty as a new one.

I think i noted about 700-750miles i did just road before re-waxing. Just a medium to soft bristle brush to knock off some road dust after each ride.

Definitely not a pro wax job but I'm quite happy with Maxima Wax applied to a ultrasonic cleaned chain. It's not as time consuming, as you can do whatever while the cleaner does its job, then just rinse in clean water, dry and apply your wax, whatever the choice. I would do the cassette as well but the tank is too small, I'm looking into a bigger replacement...I use Simple Green, aluminum safe formula (purple, heavy Duty) diluted in water.

.I use Simple Green, aluminum safe formula (purple, heavy Duty) diluted in water.
The experts all seem to agree on mineral spirits for the first cleaning. Then repeat with another mineral spirit bath, and then denatured alcohol. Then allow to dry.

Seems like a lot but I’m a direction follower and had great results.

I’m surprised there’s as many people using wax as there are. Good stuff.

The experts all seem to agree on mineral spirits for the first cleaning. Then repeat with another mineral spirit bath, and then denatured alcohol. Then allow to dry.

Seems like a lot but I’m a direction follower and had great results.

I’m surprised there’s as many people using wax as there are. Good stuff.
How do you dispose of it? That's always a concern for me, sometimes excessively so I'm told. Have you tried the ultrasonic cleaner?

How do you dispose of it? That's always a concern for me, sometimes excessively so I'm told. Have you tried the ultrasonic cleaner?

i have an ultrasonic cleaner. I got exactly what Josh from Silca recommends (i even got the r2d2 instant cooker🤦🏼). He did all the homework on the cleaning chemicals, broke down the functional uses of parrafin wax and ideal temperatures when applying wax.

Dial in his podcast. It’s absolutely geekery... Aka up you alley

i have an ultrasonic cleaner. I got exactly what Josh from Silca recommends (i even got the r2d2 instant cooker🤦🏼). He did all the homework on the cleaning chemicals, broke down the functional uses of parrafin wax and ideal temperatures when applying wax.

Dial in his podcast. It’s absolutely geekery... Aka up you alley
What cleaner do you use? As much stuff as I'd like to clean, this might be a good addition.

Last edited:
W

What cleaner do you use? As much stuff as I'd like to clean, this might be a good addition.

Just get the mineral spirits to clean the chain. Use the spirits first, then denatured alcohol. Both are available at Walmart/Home Depot/ lowes.

Use a brand new chain at first. And do 2 washes with the spirits. When the chain is run through a rag and leaves no marks, it’s clean. Then do a quick wash in the alcohol and let dry. After that it’s ready for wax.

I did this with my MTB first and it was great. I use the silca wax. And they also now sell a drip wax which I use to supplement the wax immersion (dropping it in the crock pot). So I do the crock pot wax first, and then when it needs a little more, I use the drip wax. I do this because technically you’re only supposed to use a SRAM quick link 1 time. I think you can get away with 3-4 times though.

After you run it through a few minutes of pedaling and shifting, the excess wax comes off. And what remains is in the pins and rollers which is the only place it needs to be.

The end result is hard to argue with. It’s never dirty, attracts no grit, dust, etc, and is completely silent.

And if the chain wear testing is accurate, the chain (and ca$$ette) will last much much longer.

Last edited:
technically you’re only supposed to use a SRAM quick link 1 time
Complete non sequitur here, but I couldn't help but think about how I had 2 chains of different lengths during many of my SS years and swapped them back and forth regularly, via SRAM quick links. I guess I was fortunate to not have any failures.

Or maybe I wasn't putting down enough watts...

Just get the mineral spirits to clean the chain. Use the spirits first, then denatured alcohol. Both are available at Walmart/Home Depot/ lowes.

Use a brand new chain at first. And do 2 washes with the spirits. When the chain is run through a rag and leaves no marks, it’s clean. Then do a quick wash in the alcohol and let dry. After that it’s ready for wax.

I did this with my MTB first and it was great. I use the silca wax. And they also now sell a drip wax which I use to supplement the wax immersion (dropping it in the crock pot). So I do the crock pot wax first, and then when it needs a little more, I use the drip wax. I do this because technically you’re only supposed to use a SRAM quick link 1 time. I think you can get away with 3-4 times though.

After you run it through a few minutes of pedaling and shifting, the excess wax comes off. And what remains is in the pins and rollers which is the only place it needs to be.

The end result is hard to argue with. It’s never dirty, attracts no grit, dust, etc, and is completely silent.

And if the chain wear testing is accurate, the chain (and ca$$ette) will last much much longer.
I’d like to use brand new chains but that’s not happening. I figure I’ll do this to my gravel bike first, and if that works well I’ll do my race road and mtb bikes. Eventually all bikes if it goes well. That’s why I was thinking an ultrasonic cleaner. I don’t want to have to buy 8 new chains just to convert to the waxed chains. I’m sure it’s optimal to do this to a new chain. I have the crock pot and wax on order.

I’d like to use brand new chains but that’s not happening. I figure I’ll do this to my gravel bike first, and if that works well I’ll do my race road and mtb bikes. Eventually all bikes if it goes well. That’s why I was thinking an ultrasonic cleaner. I don’t want to have to buy 8 new chains just to convert to the waxed chains. I’m sure it’s optimal to do this to a new chain. I have the crock pot and wax on order.

So if you’re using a used chain, you won’t get the longevity benefit but no big deal.

The most important thing is to make sure it is completely clean. Otherwise the wax won’t adhere to the chain.

If you think it’s clean, and run it through a white rag and see any grease at all, do another mineral spirit bath.

Back
Top Bottom