Chain Wax Discussion thread

9 out of 10 people ask where the WD40 is while looking around the store for Chain Lube.

i-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore-i-dont-want-to-live.gif

Wow, $100+ for a waxed chain. I got a bargain by buying one off this forum a few months back for like $25 or so.

Last edited:
The chain is already covered in grease when you pull it out of the package, isn’t that good enough for the first 938 miles???

I get around 1,000 miles per single Dumonde Tec Lite application, luckily I'm not fast enough to need the extra Watt.

Question in regard to this chain waxing process…

Should I remove the X number of links prior to waxing? Or can I clean and wax THEN remove the unneeded links? I am not talking about the quick link. My new chain is longer than my old one.

Question in regard to this chain waxing process…

Should I remove the X number of links prior to waxing? Or can I clean and wax THEN remove the unneeded links? I am not talking about the quick link. My new chain is longer than my old one.

Cut the chain before, it's going to be a PITA to do it after you wax it. Chain will be too stiff until you ride it for a mile or 2

I used my 20v DeWalt leaf blower to dry the chain a few times, seems to work well. Not as targeted as the compressed air but I keep it blowing on the cassette and backpedal a bit and it comes out dry pretty easily. And it's always right there ready to go.

PXL_20240412_170252737.jpg

I used my 20v DeWalt leaf blower to dry the chain a few times, seems to work well. Not as targeted as the compressed air but I keep it blowing on the cassette and backpedal a bit and it comes out dry pretty easily. And it's always right there ready to go.

View attachment 236072
I use my leaf blower too. It works good enough

View attachment 236072
I use my leaf blower too. It works good enough
Same. Works good enough.

Reactions: rlb

View attachment 236072
Hmm. I was about to drip some Prolink on my chain. But this seems so much simpler.

I did it. So many marginal gains and drivetrain noise now 😂

Silca suggests running it through the process twice the first time, and I only did it once because it took like an hour. I’ll do it again tomorrow. It seems to be a billion times cleaner than any pre-waxed home mechanic chains that folks have brought in.

C6093E5D-FA08-433F-8CA4-EBC55795734D.jpeg

It seems to be a billion times cleaner than any pre-waxed home mechanic chains that folks have brought in.

You could eat off my chains.

I have doubts about that Silca thing. I don’t see how it can absorb the factory grease into the wax and make it stick to the chain well, and keep it from picking up dirt. I guess you’ll be a good tester. Although you don’t have a good baseline.

Last edited:
You could eat off my chains.

I have doubts about that Silca thing. I don’t see how it can absorb the factory grease into the wax and make it stick to the chain well, and keep it from picking up dirt. I guess you’ll be a good tester. Although you don’t have a good baseline.

I didn't do the chocalate bar thing, I degreased and ultrasoniced the chain the normal way. I also did my track chain which has never been lubed so it was super clean already. I'm gonna do my Force chain and see what that one is like because that has a ton of miles on it, and it's also a lot quieter normally. The track drivetrain is a bit rackeitty normal.

Back
Top Bottom