Clean Start - With Bike

Johnny Utah

Hello. It’s been seven years since I did one of these here, but to me it seems like yesterday. Time flies - I guess.

Since the last blog I moved from Point Pleasant, NJ to Little Egg Harbor, NJ - sand land.

It’s been a bit more than a year since relocating, riding-wise as well a gear-wise it has been a BIG CHANGE from the Allaire hard pack & elevation (yes, I know what I said) & the shore automobile traffic. At first I felt it was awful riding wise, but after buying a dual sport moto (my first motorcycle) and getting used to the area as well as the layout (and exploring) I am starting to enjoy it.

Going forward I will try to document some of the rides through South Jersey as well as trying to build up my endurance for multi-day rides. My goal is to get the rides out of my area by either leaving from my house or getting a drop off by my wife on her way to see a client - then riding home from there.

I am still chasing the multi day century - but at a relaxed pace.

IMG_2900.jpeg
IMG_2674.jpeg
IMG_2677.jpeg
IMG_2201.jpeg
IMG_2166.jpeg

Last edited:
Rainy Day - Not to waist.

I have ran the D&L from Trenton to Easton & back several times, come fall it is my favorite ride. That being said it has been several years since I ran this, probably more like seven. Back when I was running this there was a hotel/restaurant near Lumberville that always looked appealing on my way back to the car at Washington’s Crossing.

For the past seven years I have always thought of that spot, so why not make it a plan to ride from my house to that hotel and spend the night? It is about 85
miles each way, which gets me close to tying the back to back century with a solid roof, kitchen and bar over my head.

I have assembled my bags over the last week or two, I am sure it is over kill but I am looking to pack some decent cloths so I can spend some time at the bar in the dining room of this place as well as have clean cloths for the rip home.

My start time will be the first week or so in October - I still need to book it. Next Saturday I have a car ride to Monmouth County in the AM so I will test part of the setup and see if I can get a century or so in as I work my way home.

Also broke out the fatty for a bit today once the rain settled. The Mrs. Saved me yesterday from a Thunderstorm that stood over Lower Bank, which was the first time I ever pulled the emergency card in ten + years. It was bad, the lighting was hitting all around me and the road was white out - yet prior to entering the cell I could put my hand into the rain and pull it back into my body where it was dry - the storm literally stood still for 2-3 hours.

IMG_2917.jpeg
IMG_2918.jpeg
IMG_2907.jpeg

Good stuff! These are always fun.

Couple quick questions….
Are those Paul Brakes? If so, thoughts?

What are you doing for water? The feed bags are great but they’re not carrying oodles of water. Pack, bladder in the frame bag, stuff with bottles, Wawa re-supply, life-straw… other?

Good stuff! These are always fun.

Couple quick questions….
Are those Paul Brakes? If so, thoughts?

What are you doing for water? The feed bags are great but they’re not carrying oodles of water. Pack, bladder in the frame bag, stuff with bottles, Wawa re-supply, life-straw… other?
Hey buddy!

They are Paul brakes, my second set actually as I had the same calipers on a Surly I was riding during the COVID lockdowns. They work just as well as most cable calipers, such as TRP’s or BB7’s - maybe just a bit smoother - BUT they look pimptastic.

As for water, the frame bag I had built from Rogue Panda has two deep compartments on the drive side of the bike. The lower compartment has tools/tube/misc parts while the upper compartment can hold four 16.9 oz disposable bottles of water - this coupled with a feed bag holding a bottle in it has been more than enough for now (75 miles or less in summer weather). I have bottle cages and a few 22oz bottles I will be putting on the fork as well for the longer runs.

Years past have shown me that after 4-5 hours ride time I usually stop somewhere for real food, so I can generally reload on fluids.

IMG_2838.jpeg

Hey buddy!

They are Paul brakes, my second set actually as I had the same calipers on a Surly I was riding during the COVID lockdowns. They work just as well as most cable calipers, such as TRP’s or BB7’s - maybe just a bit smoother - BUT they look pimptastic.

As for water, the frame bag I had built from Rogue Panda has two deep compartments on the drive side of the bike. The lower compartment has tools/tube/misc parts while the upper compartment can hold four 16.9 oz disposable bottles of water - this coupled with a feed bag holding a bottle in it has been more than enough for now (75 miles or less in summer weather). I have bottle cages and a few 22oz bottles I will be putting on the fork as well for the longer runs.

Years past have shown me that after 4-5 hours ride time I usually stop somewhere for real food, so I can generally reload on fluids.

View attachment 222854
That location in the picture is a very welcome stop on any ride.

Wut up cuz.

Nearly got murked tonight and didn’t even know it. Driver doing at least 70mph on a tight back road came up behind me so fast I didn’t even hear them. My bike tire was right on the edge of the pavement, i saw a car coming at me on the opposite side of the road doing the speed limit at 50mph then pull off into the dirt and start drifting - I am think WTF - then the car behind me FLEW by in the center of the road and kept going. I was pissed at first but then became thankful they noticed me, otherwise I would be smoking a J with 2Pac.

Back to the grind - all that rain along with a turd load of work kept me off the bike for a week or two. I was hoping to get back, but my eye decided to ingest some metal that has me in and out of the doctor for a week. My vision is finally coming back - getting me back on the bike. YES. Just in time for some sweet carbon hoops and I9 hubs laced up by Belmar Bikes.

IMG_3188.jpeg
IMG_3141.jpeg

I was offered to buy this offroad station wagon from one of my co-drivers as he is moving. If you follow Jeep junk, especially JK/JKU stuff this has been on three of Mel Wades JKX trips - including Alaska. But it has been parked on the water near Hartshorne for a few years and needs love. Providing that love put metal in my eye but my buddy was unloading it and my trailer was empty. I have a few trips out west planned for this and am happy to not have to tow it. I also plan to do some of the summit trails in Colorado with this. Heat, AC and a sealed cabin will be a welcome edition.
IMG_4837.jpeg
IMG_8009.jpeg
IMG_4612.jpeg
IMG_6102.jpeg

Third on the list - Motorcycles and the Pic are Awesome.

IMG_3175.jpeg

Fifth - Jose’s in Spring Lake Heights is awesome, if you ride Allaire and don’t stop here after you are crazy. PS, there is a liquor store across the street and a Dunkin next door.

IMG_3182.jpeg

Lastly - I have to be honest. Since COVID started I have been on crazy hours. COVID still feels like yesterday, my industry gets slammed with a new emergency every six months. I keep forgetting I am holding about 40 extra pounds from when I used to ride/race with some of you in 2016 (holy turd that was seven years ago) I am starting to feel it and need to make some life changes - I keep saying it but the weight seems to be “weighing me down”. For S&G’s I may start throwing weight updates in here. Starting to grow into an XXL hoodie and it does not feel right - I would like to wear a large shirt this Spring.

Starting Weight - Monday 10/8 - 224.5
Today - 219.5

Unfortunately the fun food pictures may go away.

IMG_1284.png
IMG_0867.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom