D&R multi-use path crossing the Delaware

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
yerp, it dumps you in a bummer of a spot on the NJ side but is right where the tow path, heading north, starts to improve on the NJ side. Will likely be my go to crossing instead of walking across the Washington Crossing bridge (yes @Norm , the bridge trolls actually come out there considering you go within 6’ of their lair). Currently they have about 1/4 of the railing up and the part on the bridge has been physically there since the bridge opened in July.
32F9BD58-3FB7-45DE-9339-A3B0EFCFD958.jpeg

rick81721

Lothar
yerp, it dumps you in a bummer of a spot on the NJ side but is right where the tow path, heading north, starts to improve on the NJ side. Will likely be my go to crossing instead of walking across the Washington Crossing bridge (yes @Norm , the bridge trolls actually come out there considering you go within 6’ of their lair). Currently they have about 1/4 of the railing up and the part on the bridge has been physically there since the bridge opened in July.
View attachment 118423

Too far south for me ?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
How's that?
As in there is nothing there, no points of interest. Washington Crossing Park is 3 miles north, west trenton is 2 miles. These bike ped assessments look at people generators the NJ side is simply light on that. Also, that section of the towpath sees a fraction of the use of the PA side and the NJ side north of Washington Crossing.
The access to the bridge will connect you to the tow path near the junction of Scenic Drive and River Road. If you want to get off the tow path, your options are NJ 29 (very tight shoulders in this area), or dump to River Road to West Upper Ferry Road, or jump over to Scenic Drive.

Basically, there isn't a great existing tie-in on the NJ side from an access perspective (outside the towpath). This is why a path was never a priority in the past and aggravated that the NJ side is much higher off the water than the PA side, so the access ramp is costly. Compared to the PA side, you have the towpath and River Road, which is probably the heaviest cycling road in the immediate area and Yardley is 1 mile away (point of interest, shops, restaurants, etc.).

FWIW, I have worked with the bike-ped people at NJDOT. From a user group perspective, they don't consider us, i.e., the hardcore cyclists, when they do focus groups and such. I had a previous director tell me that directly and the justification was "because you guys will ride anywhere, regardless of if these are specific facilities". And she isn't wrong. Ironically, these suburban bike ped assessments are pointless, even the heaviest suburban routes are single digits a day for cyclists.

The Kalmyk

As in there is nothing there, no points of interest. Washington Crossing Park is 3 miles north, west trenton is 2 miles. These bike ped assessments look at people generators the NJ side is simply light on that. Also, that section of the towpath sees a fraction of the use of the PA side and the NJ side north of Washington Crossing.
The access to the bridge will connect you to the tow path near the junction of Scenic Drive and River Road. If you want to get off the tow path, your options are NJ 29 (very tight shoulders in this area), or dump to River Road to West Upper Ferry Road, or jump over to Scenic Drive.

Basically, there isn't a great existing tie-in on the NJ side from an access perspective (outside the towpath). This is why a path was never a priority in the past and aggravated that the NJ side is much higher off the water than the PA side, so the access ramp is costly. Compared to the PA side, you have the towpath and River Road, which is probably the heaviest cycling road in the immediate area and Yardley is 1 mile away (point of interest, shops, restaurants, etc.).

FWIW, I have worked with the bike-ped people at NJDOT. From a user group perspective, they don't consider us, i.e., the hardcore cyclists, when they do focus groups and such. I had a previous director tell me that directly and the justification was "because you guys will ride anywhere, regardless of if these are specific facilities". And she isn't wrong. Ironically, these suburban bike ped assessments are pointless, even the heaviest suburban routes are single digits a day for cyclists.

I'm not looking at it that way but I can see where you are coming from. I like it because it breaks up a long stretch on the NJ side. The flipside on that is people can now loop Washington Crossing and Scudder Mills which is smaller loop at about 7 miles vs the Lambertville loop which is about 14 miles. For a runner or a family that gets out together on a bike once in a blue moon it's much more appealing

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I'm not looking at that way but I can see where you are coming from. I like it because it breaks up a long stretch on the NJ side. The flipside on that is people can now loop Washington Crossing and Scudder Mills which is smaller loop at about 7 miles vs the Lambertville loop which is about 14 miles. For a runner or a family that gets out together on a bike once in a blue moon it's much more appealing
Yes, no doubt.

Top Bottom