Estell Manor Conditions

theranch

I got down to Estell today for two laps and wanted to report the current trail conditions.
It rained heavy recently along with some high winds so there were a couple of trees down over the trail but room to ride around.
The overgrowth needs to be tamed, there were a couple of sections where you couldn't even see the trail...you just kept riding knowing the trail would show up shortly. There are other sections that need some clearing as well.
I might head down next weekend with tools to walk and clip, help is always appreciated!

I only had one tick show after the second lap and that guy is gone to a better place now. ;)

Was out riding this afternoon and found one of the larger trees that was hanging low over the trail a couple months back finally came down. Easy enough to climb over it for now. If any TM happens down that way it is going to take a chainsaw to clear it. I'd be happy to tag along if any maintenance goes down on a saturday or monday and my schedule is clear. Couldn't get a map screen shot as i had planned (google earth won't cooperate), but attached is the gpx file from mytracks when i stopped to mark the spot.

Attachments

• Estell Downed Tree.gpx
    564 bytes · Views: 598
  • 20110702132920.jpg
    20110702132920.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 551
Was out riding this afternoon and found one of the larger trees that was hanging low over the trail a couple months back finally came down. Easy enough to climb over it for now. If any TM happens down that way it is going to take a chainsaw to clear it. I'd be happy to tag along if any maintenance goes down on a saturday or monday and my schedule is clear. Couldn't get a map screen shot as i had planned (google earth won't cooperate), but attached is the gpx file from mytracks when i stopped to mark the spot.

I couldn't get that gpx to show in anything. I even tried converting it at http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
I think that tree was down when I last rode and made note of downed trees.

Was out last saturday and noticed a few blow downs, sand, leaners, and overgrowth, so i thought i'd go back out and start noting some stuff and trim what i could...before my small trimmer broke anyway. I sent Ken a pm already to let him know i cam across some stuff. Below is some of the bigger things from a short 3 mile loop last monday.

picture.php

1 - Small tree leaning low over the trail with a tree parallel to the trail leaning on it.
picture.php

2 - Worst section of overgrowth i've seen there. May have been trimmed in the last couple months though, since i recall it being worse. Note actual bad section isnt what is right in the front, but actually 10ft in.
picture.php

3 - Larger tree noted before. Came down a couple months ago.
picture.php

4 - Lots of sand right at the bottom of a small slope, and then right into another short climb.
picture.php

I also noted a large pileup on the map, but have no picture. One trailhead off the parking lot is also overgrown with tall grass for the 1st 30ft or so. Used a piling section that has been sitting there to flatten it out a bit and open up the trail.

Yeah that was what I encountered the last time. I'm too busy with my local trails right now to get down to do some TM. FYI I bought one of these black & decker battery powered hedge trimmers and it is GREAT for SJ trail TM.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/outdoor/NHT518B.aspx <-- This thing was only $80!!! Makes quick work of the job.

Huckleberry gets cut and trimmed easily. Parts of Estell could use one of those in there to open the trail back up.

Last edited:
BTW nice work on the connector at seaview. Rode through maybe a week after you trimmed it. Country did do a number with the 4 wheeler like you mentioned, but not too horrendous. Haven't been there in the last few weeks, and moving back towards home so i probably won't be getting back as regularly as i was.

Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe a bit later down the road. For now i think i'm gonna go a bit more old school and bring a larger set of shears. Hoping to get a little a little bit of a crew back in there eventually, but want to make sure to run through the proper channels first.

Also, not sure if you're familiar with it, but there is a mound that the trail runs over by the North End access further down towards the river. One end of that trail section has badly eroded, and is starting to look a bit dangerous. I'll see about marking and getting a photo for reference next time i'm out. In the meantime i'd highly recommend taking the bypass around it.

Rick thanks for the pics and gps links. Check your PM's.

I am back from sea and plan to schedule a TM session before I leave again. More to follow when I iron out details with the park.

Got out on thurs. and things were not that bad. Some water, but not what I thought there would be. Fall downs where on the low, and nothing really big. There is some new log overs I think will work out well.

Looking to ride Monday and Tuesday if anyone is available.I'm off work both days so I'm flexible with ride times if someone wants to meet up for a ride. Anyone ride the trails lately and if so how are the trail conditions?

Brian

Was out today, ground is a little on the soft side and not very much water on the trail. Only one fall down on the big loop you have to carry.

Looking to ride Monday and Tuesday if anyone is available.I'm off work both days so I'm flexible with ride times if someone wants to meet up for a ride. Anyone ride the trails lately and if so how are the trail conditions?

Brian

I may be riding on Tues, but i'm not positive yet. Been sick over the last week, and still not 100%. If i end up still feeling messed up i may skip. Otherwise i'd be interested.

Just got off the trails to check out the recent activity, and figured I should update. Stuff was in fair condition today, with soft spots in the usual places. There is still a lot of water being retained from the recent storms though as well. This has caused a few spots to be boggier than the usually would be and a few additional spots that wouldn't normally be damp. There is actually a few inches of water in the ditch that the imba trail runs in and out of at the north end of the park. Looks like it has still been ridden anyway, and quite a few areas are rutted up. Spent a pretty good amount of time walking past wet spots to avoid digging things up more. If you can avoid the park for a few more days, it might be better to hit somewhere that drains a little quicker (wharton or ccc probably a good bet).

In regards to the recent trailwork that has been going on, I can see where it has gotten a bit out of hand. Definitely agree with previous posts that with half of the rock logpile missing it could prove to be dangerously unstable. The other just by that one being removed was definitely unnecessary as well. Saw a few smaller things missing that look like the damp weather and riding them had caused them to deteriorate away. Did notice at least a few more small logovers missing though. Also came across a bypass someone had cut to avoid a section of the ditch previously mentioned. That wasn't particularly cool since it was an easy section of trail that didn't really need a bypass. Dropped a couple large logs from nearby on the ends to close it off for the time being. Sure they'll probably be moved soon enough anyway. I did also see that someone tried to close off the small bypass by the dip out towards the river on the imba trail. Ken and I spoke about that oneduring the last tm when we were working on the erosion issues there. Since the slope can be rough on some that was left open, so I cleared the path a little today. Having the option there for those that have trouble with and may drag their brakes down that hill should help alleviate some further erosion.

Anyway, sorry for the extreme post. Had the camera rolling today, so I may piece together clips of some of the stuff I spotted...and my major wipeout:D. Little rusty from not riding for around a month.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update! I haven't been out there in months. In regards to someone moving log-overs... I've had someone cut out simple log-overs out of my local trails, completely unnecessary! Someone thinks they are "helping".

I spoke to the park today. The gent who was doing the recent "maintenance" will be concentrating efforts elsewhere. Stay tuned for an April tm day.

Went out riding today, first time Ive been here. Conditions were really good overall with as little rain as we ve had. I didnt see anyone else there, but then again it was Wednesday morning. Ill for sure be back, much more fun than Parvin.

Was out early this afternoon. Conditions were very good. No damp spots, even in the ares that tend to stay a little wet. Saw a handful of other people out there. A few equestrians, and a few bikers including Sjfxt on his way in/my way out.

I was out there Sunday afternoon and it seemed real fast. Rode 49 today and will probably ride Estell tomorrow morning.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions