Fatbikes of NJ Gallery

bergsnj

Fatbike content:
96963173-1609-4DA6-897E-3286CEC8214B.jpeg

115090F6-3CAE-4216-BBAB-AC0A0FD4BADB.jpeg

one piece crank

I still love this bike. I do have to pay attention approaching sketchy sections, ‘cause that XL frame is tough to eject from. Conversely, when I drop the post and roll through twisties it feels like a DJ (this feeling doesn’t make sense, I know !?). I don’t feel drag from the 4.8’s, and my average speed has recently increased. Very, very happy.

IMG_3524.jpeg

Last edited:

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I still love this bike. I do have to pay attention approaching sketchy sections, ‘cause that XL frame is tough to eject from. Conversely, when I drop the post and roll through twistiest it feels like a DJ (this feeling doesn’t make sense, I know!?). I don’t feel drag from the 4.8’s, and my average speed has recently increased. Very, very happy.

View attachment 214802
Throw a mastodon on that bad boy and you'll be very, very, very happy. :)

OddTrickStar

I don't ever plan to go back to a suspended bike.
#rigid4lifepurist
Why stop there? Lose the gears #rigidfat&single
IMG_0276.jpeg

Seriously though, the exact same trails I get almost identical times whether I’m on my single speed rigid or full squish geared fatties. My back and various problem joints is where I can tell the difference, especially on roots.

The 4.8 Knards on there roll noticeably better than the 3.8 Minions on the squishy bike. I don’t think they make Knards in 4.8 anymore, bummer because they’re great in the sand.

one piece crank

Why stop there? Lose the gears #rigidfat&single
View attachment 216950
Seriously though, the exact same trails I get almost identical times whether I’m on my single speed rigid or full squish geared fatties. My back and various problem joints is where I can tell the difference, especially on roots.

The 4.8 Knards on there roll noticeably better than the 3.8 Minions on the squishy bike. I don’t think they make Knards in 4.8 anymore, bummer because they’re great in the sand.
I still ride my SS, it’s rigid too. I’m not against suspension, specifically when it makes your ride more comfortable. But for me, I like the trail feel of rigid. I like to feel the roots, the rocks, and sag/compression/rebound always messes with my mojo.

pkovo

Took another run today at the obstacles that recently threw me. Cleaned them all.

If there is no pre-existing medical condition, and you’re throwing suspension at a fat bike, I suspect it’s not properly set-up for you and you’re not one with the bike.
Respectfully, I disagree with this. I rode my ICT rigid for a long time and enjoyed it. But a Mastodon up front absolutely transformed how fast/efficiently I can ride that bike through chunky trails.

Not for everyone, but if you want to ride your fatbike like you would ride a trailbike, the Mastodon makes that possible.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Respectfully, I disagree with this. I rode my ICT rigid for a long time and enjoyed it. But a Mastodon up front absolutely transformed how fast/efficiently I can ride that bike through chunky trails.

Not for everyone, but if you want to ride your fatbike like you would ride a trailbike, the Mastodon makes that possible.

i took my mastodon off - i can't go dh fast (for me) now - and it is a bit more of a challenge in the chunk (which i think i like),
but the removal of the 4+lb anchor up front made a huge difference in getting the bike up/over,
and increased predictability.

pkovo

i took my mastodon off - i can't go dh fast (for me) now - and it is a bit more of a challenge in the chunk (which i think i like),
but the removal of the 4+lb anchor up front made a huge difference in getting the bike up/over,
To Be fair, the ICT is an anchor with or without the mastodon so the added weight isn't as big of a deal for me....and I run the heavier comp version. I might feel differently on a lighter fatbike.

And honestly, I think riding style plays into it as well. I know my fat bike is the wrong tool for the job in many or most of the riding situations I tend to use it for, but the fun factor is just so high on it. And for me it just got way higher when I added the fork. It just settled the front end at speed.

One thing I may be glassing over is the fact that I also slackened the head angle a bit by adding the fork which might be part of what I like. I run the "STD" Mastodon at 120mm which slackens it a bit, and then I have to use a lower adapter cup that slackens things even further. Back when I did this I even reached out to Surly to see what they thought and they were like "yeah go for it". So it's possible a piece of what I like is really the slacker front end geo.

Slow crawling I don't notice much of a difference. I mean, I imagine rigid would probably be more precise, but I feel like I can still monster truck things really well on this bike with the suspension fork. Swapping between this and my other bikes, I don't notice the heavier front end, but all my bikes have front suspension.

The weird thing is, despite being prohibitively heavy I love little jumps on this thing and I much prefer front suspension if I am jumping. And despite it's weight, the ICT just wants to "pop" off of everything on the trail., but that was the case when it was rigid as well.

I think I just still love riding a fatbike is what it boils down to.

krink

Eddie Munster
I took off my Bluto too. Initially to have it rebuilt, putting the original fork back on while it was happening. The rebuilt Bluto is sitting in the shed. My Farley is livelier and I don’t see a real difference otherwise.

Top Bottom