Fishing Thread

Captain Brainstorm

Lets start a fishing thread so that we don't derail every other thread (more than usual anyway). I guess any fishing related topic goes. Gear, terminal tackle, methods, locations (if you're willing to give them up), trips, fishing reports etc., is all fair game. Also what you drink/smoke while you fish. Fish on.

I'm in the market for new rain gear - needs to hold up to all day fishing in rain and potentially temps of high 30s/low 40s. Is Grundens the best? Can't put a price on comfort

I'm in the market for new rain gear - needs to hold up to all day fishing in rain and potentially temps of high 30s/low 40s. Is Grundens the best? Can't put a price on comfort

I don't have any fishing specific rain gear. I bought a Marmot Gore Tex shell at REI 3 years ago on sale in the spring, and its been pretty solid. I just layer up underneath when its cold. You could spend hundreds on Simms or Patagucci, but anything Gore Tex usually does the job.

I should probably ask my wife for the real image, but I caught this fucker on the first day I ever went deep sea fishing:

View attachment 113638

I caught one of those fuckers down in Cabo years ago. Took me 1.5hrs to bring it in, and my hands were blistered and bleeding afterwards. After the first minute of it jumping and putting on a show, it became like a 1.5hr arm and back workout at the gym.

I caught one of those fuckers down in Cabo years ago. Took me 1.5hrs to bring it in, and my hands were blistered and bleeding afterwards. After the first minute of it jumping and putting on a show, it became like a 1.5hr arm and back workout at the gym.

Yeah, this one took about an hour to reel in if I remember correctly, and I had no idea what I was doing. I hurt for like a week from this.

My father-in-law got one the next day and reeled it in in 15-20 minutes, but he knows what he is doing and is jacked.

And you weren't hooked enough still to give up biking and climbing. I would of sold everything if that was my first catch. Guess it was too easy.

This was before we started climbing, and I was still really into biking at the time. I really enjoyed the trip and reeling in this fish was fun, but I'm just not really into fishing.

Prior to catching that marlin, I had a romantic Hemmingway-esque vision of big-game fishing, that completely changed after. Reeling in a fish that weighed 4x as much as me was work. After it jumped a few times in the beginning, it went straight to the bottom. I’d work for 15-20min to bring it in, it would see the boat, then peel-off another 100 or so meters of line straight down. It did this like 4 times. And there really wasn’t a lot of skill involved with hooking it either. Troll teasers out the back of the boat, see a Marlin following, then I just lobbed out the live bait and bam. It was all a tackle and strength game. Fun to do once, but I’m good.

Next thing I want to try is Tarpon on the fly rod, I hear it’s a challenge to get them to take and keep them on.

Never gone tarpon fishing yet - that's gonna change in 2020. Great fishing all around us

Since you live down there, you need to do this. Supposedly the challenge isn't just hooking them, but keeping them on. Go for Redfish while you're at it and post a report. Also, there are Peacock bass and Snakeheads in the channels down there. Snakeheads are supposedly good eating too.

You can find me trolling lake Ontario for salmon most weekends between May and October. I also fish the Hudson river for Stripers in April/May. If anyone wants to tag along sometime, let me know!

Reactions: w_b
Next thing I want to try is Tarpon on the fly rod, I hear it’s a challenge to get them to take and keep them on.

In spite of leaving for years next to Tarpon Springs I never saw one until Jeremy Wade went fishing for one in Nicaragua. It seemed a lot of work if you ask me!

I travel like 200 yards and fish lake estling in denville.......I have this massive 12 foot long sport fish that @jmanic saved from the dumpster for me. My father in law was a naval officer on a sub, so I painted this up as his own naval warship :)

78677033_10157502119065781_5139760317714137088_n.jpg

You can find me trolling lake Ontario for salmon most weekends between May and October. I also fish the Hudson river for Stripers in April/May. If anyone wants to tag along sometime, let me know!

In for Striper fishing (I have a fly rod though).

In spite of leaving for years next to Tarpon Springs I never saw one until Jeremy Wade went fishing for one in Nicaragua. It seemed a lot of work if you ask me!

I saw that episode. Holy shit, I don't think he really knew how good of a tarpon spot he was in, to catch so many fish with his piss-poor casting (he's gotten better since then though). Only downside is that its Nicaragua, not the safest place, but man I would seriously consider going to a place where tarpon of that size are so plentiful.

I travel like 200 yards and fish lake estling in denville.......I have this massive 12 foot long sport fish that @jmanic saved from the dumpster for me. My father in law was a naval officer on a sub, so I painted this up as his own naval warship :)

78677033_10157502119065781_5139760317714137088_n.jpg

You lucky bastard! Having fishing so close! That paint job is mint.

Open day day still planned for April 11th.
Per their message today, stocking is happening ahead of schedule so plan for lots of fish on opening day.
Haven't bought a license for a few years, but will do so for sure this year and head to the "secret" holes of yesteryears which I'm sure are no longer secrets.
One of mine is the Peapack brook, not a lot of fish but always peaceful even opening day week.
Told you mine, so where's you're secret spot?

I'm going to do some fishing this year too. since i didn't get to snowboard.
can't be stuck on a boat with you all now, but i guess we could stand 10' apart in the water.

gotta print out that license - which is also useful for parking in the boat launch at RV during the summer months!

Latest update, you can catch up to 4 trout this week during pre-stocking
I'm getting out this week for "free" protein.

Pre-season trout stocking originally scheduled to begin on March 23 has already begun.
Waters being stocked this week are open to angling; for waters under General Trout Regulation anglers can harvest up to 4 trout each day (minimum size 9”). Within designated Trout Conservation Areas anglers can harvest only one trout at least 15” in length.

These regulations are in effect until Monday, March 23, the official start of the three week pre-season closure, when most trout stocked waters close to angling.

Lakes Hopatcong, Mountain, Prospertown, Shenandoah, Swartswood, and the section of Lawrence Brook (Davidsons Mill Rd.) as well as Trout Conservation Areas, and Catch & Release Areas are open to fishing during the pre-season closure (March 23-April 10), however, all trout caught must be immediately released. Trophy and Holdover Trout Lakes are open to fishing year round with special regulations on trout.

Back
Top Bottom