Full Face Helmet Sizing concerns..

Blk06CompIRL

hey all, i am looking into a full face helmet for various reasons but i have a concern about sizing! My head measures 21" which i guess is small for an adult sized head and a lot of the helmets i have seen the small measures in for a head around 21 3/4" as the low number.based on the number i imagine that i would need to order a small? i know a lot of helmets will fit and feel different so trying on is ideal, but i have yet to find a bike shop who stocks full face in my immediate area. as of now i will probably just order and return till i find a premo fit unless someone has another suggestion? when i was at mountain creek the one time this past season the rental guy stuck me in a XL which he said fit me properly and i know nothing about it so took his word for it, so to now see i may measure out as a small im confused. thanks all

Helmet fit varies so much dude. What size is your XC lid? Thats at least a start. I'd call around, see who has some in stock and go try them. It's one of the few things almost impossible to get right mail order unless you already know the size and brand that works for you.

yeah i may have to expand my search radius and find a larger bike shop, some one has to stock a variety of them to play with. ordering and returning will get old real quick

Second that, also have a medium Remedy that you're welcome to try in Morristown area.

I'd also suggest Mountain Creek as having one of the larger assortments of full face helmets in the area, although what you stated about the rental guy isn't a great sign. Generally you want a helmet that fits snugly, but doesn't create any pressure points. Cheek pads should be snug (many models have various cheek pad thickness options) and you shouldn't really be able to move the helmet around independently from your head, even without the buckle fastened. Lots more info to be found with a little googling:

http://forum.motorcycle-usa.com/?f=21&m=81327

good info thanks, i have been doing a lot of reading lately to try and gather the information needed as i value my head greatly and wife to be likes it intact as well lol. ill let u guys know if ill take up the offers for the helmet try ons, life is a little busy and limited free time. i have no real time frame as its main puse will be when i venture to mountain creek again next season. It all seemed so simple, measure head... buy helmet... lol

It all seemed so simple, measure head... buy helmet... lol

Besides the size, different manufacturers use different shape molds. Some are more round, some more oval etc. Personally, I'm a Giro guy. Fox helmets leave an indent on my forehead even when sized properly. Trying them on is about the only way to see what works for you.

BTW I heard that Mountain Creek's bike shop is open over the winter... they just moved across the bridge. Maybe give them a call to see what their hours are before making the trip.

All I know is they work, saved me from a bad crash last year when I landed on my head and shoulder... It's just been sitting in my garage .

Besides the size, different manufacturers use different shape molds. Some are more round, some more oval etc. Personally, I'm a Giro guy. Fox helmets leave an indent on my forehead even when sized properly. Trying them on is about the only way to see what works for you.

BTW I heard that Mountain Creek's bike shop is open over the winter... they just moved across the bridge. Maybe give them a call to see what their hours are before making the trip.

good to know about MC bike shop being open i will deff look into that information. i have been hearing a lot of good things about the giro so is one of the top brands im looking at. i know i will continue to fall a lot so quality is number 1 next to fit.

There is a bike shop about a half hour south of me that has many full face in stock if you ever end up my way

Back
Top Bottom