GCN - zero MTB content

serviceguy

Looks like I will be watching bike racing for a year now...it took nothing (a mean a few bucks) to use the TV with my phone so I decided why not. I may actually watch some road racing or even XC since it's paid for...

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
One thing I will say that's cool about having GCN is the bmx racing. I haven't watched bmx in years and today watched the European championships. Crazy fast! Makes you wonder how everyone of these bmxers don't come out and destroy and the downhillers lol

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
One thing I will say that's cool about having GCN is the bmx racing. I haven't watched bmx in years and today watched the European championships. Crazy fast! Makes you wonder how everyone of these bmxers don't come out and destroy and the downhillers lol
A lot of the pro DH racers have a strong BMX background, although I don't think those skills necessarily translate when you factor in steep descents with rocks and mud.

😯

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Bye bye.
IMG_3899.png

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
can’t you just use a VPN to watch the euro feeds? They’re cheaper than a GCN subscription

Ian F

Well... that's annoying... besides the World Cup races, I enjoyed the road and cross racing coverage.

From the website:

In 2021, we launched GCN+. It was a brand-new service that would showcase our own next-level cycling films, a weekly show, and all of the live racing that we had been broadcasting since 2020 on RacePass. But it is with great sadness that we today announce the closure of GCN+ and the GCN App as of December 19, 2023.

This decision comes from our parent company Warner Bros. Discovery (WBD) and is driven by its global strategy to consolidate its streaming services, and to offer content in fewer places, making it easier for customers to access and discover more content. In Europe, GCN+ subscribers will now have the option to subscribe to access Discovery+, Eurosport or Eurosport Extra, where you can continue to watch live cycling. In markets outside of Europe, WBD is reviewing how content is delivered to its fans.

Pro-rata refunds will be given to subscribers from December 19 onwards.

Given the news, we really want to express our thanks, to you, and the hundreds of thousands of cycling fans who have supported us and subscribed to GCN+.

We also want to say thank you to the talented and hard-working people at GCN+ and on the GCN App who have poured their hearts and souls into creating such amazing content. Just like you, we’re also disappointed that we will no longer be able to bring you these services.

We’re really proud of everything we have achieved with GCN+ and the GCN App over the last four years, from all of the live race coverage to the 200+ films that we made.

We also want to add, for the sake of all the people who have worked so hard on GCN+ and the GCN App, that the reason for its closure is not because the two platforms didn’t work or were underperforming. The reality is that the media industry landscape has changed, and this is why WBD’s streaming services are being consolidated to offer content in one place.

No doubt there are lots of you out there who have questions that we haven’t answered in this news story. We have tried to answer as many as we can here. Please also leave any in the comments section below and we will do our very best to answer them for you.

It seems they have no idea how to stream racing is the US right now... I suspect we'll be forced to subscribe to Discovery Plus.

serviceguy

Who’s going to be in the commentator boot then? I have to say that after listening to AG being interviewed on PB I like him even more, the guy can speak clearly and properly, didn’t say ‘sending it’ an overwhelmingly number of times and actually has something to say.

Ian F

My WAG is nothing on the broadcast side will change. At least not related to this news.

I agree with you on AG as a commentator. I'd rather see him racing, but he could definitely have a future behind the mic if he wants to.

ebarker9

The GCN+ thing shouldn't (at least as far as I understand) impact what the broadcast is, only how it's delivered to the audience. That's been at least partially addressed for the rest of the world, but zero announcement for how Discovery intends to show coverage in the US next year. My money is on something like the following, stolen from another site:

Picture1.jpg

And yeah, agreed on Gwin. From the Downtime podcast it sounded like his focus was on racing again in 2024 (which I was a little surprised by) but isn't ruling out future commentary work.

Ian F

Definitely. When it comes to streaming services, Discovery+ is the one I have the least interest in. Little more than a bunch of has-been cable channels. I wouldn't be surprised if GCN+ had similar - if not possibly higher - numbers, which probably caused the management to go, "Wait... what? We need to force them to consolidate..."

It'll depend mainly on the cost. If it's similar to GCN+, I could be convinced... especially if it means an easier way to watch racing on my TV vs. using a Chrome Cast from my phone.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Yup, whatever loop hole they found in the international licensing seems to have been closed. Back to Tiz cycling....
Can you talk about Tiz? I've heard the name but have no knowledge. Can you watch world cups there in the US? VPN needed?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Can you talk about Tiz? I've heard the name but have no knowledge. Can you watch world cups there in the US? VPN needed?
Just don’t click the ads

Edit sorry that’s not helpful. Tiz is a site which has a collection of links that you can stream different feeds. It’s not super reliable and sometimes the feeds get cut mid race, but there’s usually more than one.

Don’t click the ads.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Just don’t click the ads

Edit sorry that’s not helpful. Tiz is a site which has a collection of links that you can stream different feeds. It’s not super reliable and sometimes the feeds get cut mid race, but there’s usually more than one.

Don’t click the ads.
What he said. For the big races, it has multiple feeds at various qualities. Typically the lower quality ones (480p) survive. I can rarely get the better quality ones to play and if they do, they get shut down quickly.

krink

Eddie Munster
Yeah, Im not convinced that the US corporate pukes for WB discovery+ are taking this seriously at all. Europe already has Eurosport/Discovery+ participation for essentially the same thing as what we had with GCN+. I dont think there are enough of us in the US to make a difference compared to all those "Sister wives" fans out there. Lets see what they come up with. I signed up for the last Summer olympic coverage which promised cycling and all we got was the mens elite road race and the mens elite MTB XCO for a few weeks before it went away. that was NBC peacock and Im already a subscriber for the main streaming platform!

For us true bike nerds, Superprestige X2O and UCI cyclocross are streaming full races free on You Tube a few days after each race. They also streamed the UCI XCC and XCO MTB races a few days afterwards, you just have to search on them. The ABSA cape epic is also fully streamed there.

Peacock streaming Isnt bad for cycling, it does the Tour down under, Paris-Nice, Dauphine, TDF Vuelta and a few classics including Paris-Roubaix but we all know who those commentators are.

Flowbikes sucks dirty ass when it comes to content these days. Its supposed to mirror Eurosport but most is blacked out in North America. It covers some of the gravel races but not the UCI Gravel Worlds. Some of the other spring classics that arent on Peacock are here, but with spotty commentary. And its crazy expensive.

GCN+ was all of it in one place, and it was sometimes spotty but with a VPN you could see everything you could want. Its gonna be missed.

Honestly, it may be the best way to find someone with a European friend, preferably Belgium, Netherlands or UK and pay them to sign up for Eurosport and share some credentials and use a VPN. Not that I WOULD DO THAT, its too sketchy for boy scout like me.

jdgang

And here it is

Max to Welcome Live Cycling in the US in February 2024​

More than 300 of Biggest Cycling Race Events — Most of Any Streaming Platform — to Be Available for U.S. Max Subscribers via B/R Sports Add-On

Includes Giro d’Italia, Classics, UCI Mountain Bike World Series, UCI Track Champions League & More

Today, Max and TNT Sports, a division of Warner Bros. Discovery, announced that the most expansive roster of live cycling across Road, Mountain Bike, Track, BMX and Cyclocross will be coming to the B/R Sports Add-On on Max for U.S. subscribers in February 2024.
Live cycling coverage on Max will include more than 300 of the world’s biggest racing events, including the prestigious Giro d’Italia, all race weekends of the UCI Mountain Bike World Series, all rounds of the UCI Track Champions League, 53 women’s World Tour Pro Series broadcasts, the E3 Saxo Bank Classic, the Kuurne–Brussels–Kuurne, and more. All in, Max will be the one to watch for U.S. cycling fans, offering more live cycling event coverage throughout the year than any other streaming service.
Subscribers will also have access to “The Breakaway”, English-language pre- and post-race coverage which will harness the most immersive broadcast studio innovations to dissect the action for cycling fans.
Through its global distribution, Warner Bros. Discovery has a proud cycling heritage and is well-known for broadcasting cycling in all its forms to viewers around the world, harnessing the sport’s foremost experts including two-time Tour de France winner Alberto Contador, former World Road Race champion Philippe Gilbert, 17-year ex-pro and fan favorite Jens Voigt and 24-time Grand Tour stage winner Robbie McEwen to help better connect viewers with the sport during key events.
The move to integrate live cycling content on the B/R Sports Add-On on Max follows the closure of the GCN+ service and app on December 19, bringing more sports and entertainment content together in one place.
Max’s B/R Sports Add-On offers exceptional value with a full slate of premium live sports content included such as the MLB, NHL, NBA, NCAA Men’s March Madness, U.S. Soccer, 24 Hours of Le Mans and a variety of non-live sports programming to appeal to every fan.
About Max
Max®, which launched May 23, 2023, is an enhanced streaming platform from Warner Bros. Discovery, delivering unparalleled quality content for everyone in the household. With a personalized user experience that brings unique and unexpected stories ranging from the best of unscripted to the highest quality in scripted programming to live news to sports, Max is the destination for HBO Originals, Warner Bros. films, Max Originals, the DC universe, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, CNN Max, Bleacher Report Sports Add-On, an expansive offering of kids and family content, and best-in-class programming across food, home, reality, lifestyle, and documentaries from leading brands like HGTV, Food Network, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, Discovery Channel, TLC, ID and more, all in one place.
About TNT Sports
TNT Sports is a global leader in the delivery of premium sports content. The TNT Sports U.S. portfolio includes expansive, multi-platform partnerships with the National Basketball Association, Major League Baseball, the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship, National Hockey League and United States Soccer Federation. Owned and operated platforms are highlighted by Bleacher Report, the #1 digital destination for young sports fans, along with House of Highlights, HighlightHER, Golf Digest, and a full suite of digital and social portfolio brands. Additionally, TNT Sports co-manages NBA Digital — comprised of NBA TV, NBA.com, NBA LEAGUE Pass, the NBA App and NBAGLEAGUE.com — as well as NCAA.com and NCAA March Madness Live.

Top Bottom