Gravel ride for beginners

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
My family recently got into riding and they're looking for a gravel route that's relatively long, not crazy terrain, with about 10-20 miles as a gauge. We're looking for more of a northern jersey ride. Any suggestions would be great.

My family recently got into riding and they're looking for a gravel route that's relatively long, not crazy terrain, with about 10-20 miles as a gauge. We're looking for more of a northern jersey ride. Any suggestions would be great.
Columbia trail is ideal for that. Maybe a little tame but great scenery and you can add gravel loops off both sides as they all progress. I would start in High Bridge, best scenery in Ken Lockwood Gorge. full length one way is 17 miles I think.

Columbia Trail, then D&R Canal, either from New Brunswick/south, or Washington's Crossing/northwest. Washington's crossing is a better choice if you're looking to add stops for food/whatever...NB to Princeton doesn't really have anything until Princeton, and you have to go a pretty long way from there. Not a ton of other longish gravel roads in NJ, but I guess some parks may count. Look for reservoir parks near you, some have trails around them (ie: Manasquan Reservoir).

I live 1 mile from the Flanders side of the Columbia trail. Sounds good to get everyone started and there is nothing on the trail that’s a real obstacle because it’s pan flat out and back (15 miles each way).

Highly suggest to start in High Bridge side (opposite end of where I live) because there’s a parking lot and lots of shops and places to eat. Riding along the gorge and the river is also very scenic You can ride out and back as far as you want depending on how everyone is feeling. The whole trail does pretty well with the weather too especially since they redid the surface from HB to Long valley with some ground up white-ish kinda gravel.

Shameless plug also if you have any bike issues before or after the ride Marty’s has a new bike shop right near the trail just north of the parking lot.

Also, the West Morris Greenway. Some grassy double track and gravel. About a 12 mile round trip.

Not "North Jersey" but anywhere on the Delaware & Raritan Canal State Park. Tow path is 70 miles of well maintained gravel with beautiful scenery in "Central Jersey". If you ride the part on the Delaware, you can do loops of mostly gravel on both sides of the river.

Delaware River Tow Path Loop Trails.jpeg

Yes, a little more single track than gravel. Try the Landsdown Trail (double track gravel) to the Capoolong Creek Trail (a little more rough single track) for that.

Not gravel, not "North Jersey" but the mostly paved 24 mile "Henry Hudson Trail" can be a good ride. https://www.co.monmouth.nj.us/documents/130/Henry-Hudson-Trail-ADA-Final-June-2021.pdf
Agree on the above.

When one of my boys was younger we tried patriots path and it was a no go but that could have been because we started near LewMo

this is the easiest route of the JGG
the only thing I would comment about this one for beginners, is that there are some hills and roads on this route, and not really any places along the way to stop for a coffee break or snack kinda thing. To me this loop and the Bedminster area would be more for "advanced beginners" if that makes sense, I don't see any "family" kinda rides when I am out there.

the only thing I would comment about this one for beginners, is that there are some hills and roads on this route, and not really any places along the way to stop for a coffee break or snack kinda thing. To me this loop and the Bedminster area would be more for "advanced beginners" if that makes sense, I don't see any "family" kinda rides when I am out there.

I agree here - Might want to go Highbridge to Califon and hit the general store or the bakery, then return.
nice "reward" for making the destination. Others might be long valley to califon, then hit the coffee potter in LV
(or reverse)

We did the D&R out of washington crossing, and stopped for ice cream.
Pizza in Frenchtown is good. There is a spot in Stockton with a samich shop.

Back
Top Bottom