Gravel Shoe Recommendations

Turbotrix

I gave up on road biking last year and I just had a buddy just offer to sell me his bike so I figured it was finally time to give this gravel bike thing a shot. Any recommendations for a decent SPD shoe. I def don't have plans to race. I'm just looking for something that'll be comfortable over a few hours of riding and walking around in during stops. I've had good luck with Shimano offerings in the past but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

I use an older pair of Shimano mtn bike shoes with CB Candy pedals for road riding. Mainly for the ease of walking. Same shoes I wear for more spirited XC/trail rides where I'm less likely to walk much.

I've been using Giro Empire VR90's for the past 5 years or so for MTB/CX/Gravel. They're super comfy riding, but not great for walking, because they're so stiff.
Just got a pair of Specialized Recon 3.0's, but have only used them on the trainer so far. They're supposed to have something called STRIDE toe flex, but I can't comment on it, yet.

I run the older version of the Specialized Recon 3.0 which works great for MTB and Gravel where you might walk. For our local roads through Bedminster I ride my road set-up because you're never stepping off the bike out there...

A relatively new phenomenon we see is that many people are wearing (off the bike) foot shaped shoes like Hoka, Altra, Birkenstock, Lem etc. If your feet have are shaped more like a brick than a cowboy boot or high heel ladies shoe, i'd try on some shoes from lake. They come in 3 widths and they have something for most every foot shape. Their narrowest is the same as the Wide fit from Giro, Shimano and Sidi.

1675792931647.jpeg

I run SPDs on gravel but didn't want to wear a mtn bike shoe and didn't want to go full on roadie.

To me the look of the Mavic Allroad Pro fit the bill and found them on sale for less then $150. Bike shoes can get stoopid expensive.

Lake MX237 shoes for me. They're MTB shoes, and I run MTB pedals (SPDs). My gravel is less groomed than others. But once you're on the bike, your feet don't know the difference between types of shoes. Go with what's comfortable, or what you already have if you like them.

What do you use as a road shoe? Is there a similar MTB version? I run Sidi Genius on the road bike and Sidi Dominator for both MTB & Gravel. The Dominators aren’t too bad to walk in.

The longest ride I've ever did (both in time and distance) on my gravel bike I was wearing Shimano SPDs. I don't know the model but they're MTB shoes but lean more on the road shoes side. The 2 front-most straps are Velcro and the rear one is the ratchet type with quick release. Here's a picture of them if you can image them without all the mud.
20220319_172423.jpg

What do you use as a road shoe? Is there a similar MTB version? I run Sidi Genius on the road bike and Sidi Dominator for both MTB & Gravel. The Dominators aren’t too bad to walk in.
I have a decent pair of carbon sole Shimano's for road but plan to go with SPD's. I'll check out the Sidi and other mentioned above. Thanks!

ive just been running my 10 year old Shimano R106 road shoes the last 1.5 years riding gravel with Ultegra 105 SPD-SL pedals just because thats what I had at the time. yes its not ideal for some situations where i might need to walk but those times are pretty limited.

ive thought about Gravel specific shoes on and off but i do like the ability to take the Gravel bike on the road and not have to swap shoes.

My wife likes to plan destination rides so I do plan to have some time off the bike.
Unless you’re really looking to have shoes specifically for gravel, I’d swap between your mtb/spd pedals and road/road shoes.

Unless I know I’m going to be hiking more than a minute or so, I’m using the road shoes. They feel better, are lighter and just made for riding. The mtb shoes are okay but I just don’t feel as good pedaling them. Maybe I’m the minority…

Unless you’re really looking to have shoes specifically for gravel, I’d swap between your mtb/spd pedals and road/road shoes.

Unless I know I’m going to be hiking more than a minute or so, I’m using the road shoes. They feel better, are lighter and just made for riding. The mtb shoes are okay but I just don’t feel as good pedaling them. Maybe I’m the minority…

277226239_10228409769571271_8491342513043959908_n.jpg

Last time I was in NJ I rode that section. Dustin and capers were impressed. ROAD SHOES
i tend to avoid the lower gorge because that section sucks regardless if I had road shoes, gravel shoes or even my MTB with flats.

the two times i have done that way with a group on the gravel bike i can walk it (carefully) with the old road shoes.

A relatively new phenomenon we see is that many people are wearing (off the bike) foot shaped shoes like Hoka, Altra, Birkenstock, Lem etc. If your feet have are shaped more like a brick than a cowboy boot or high heel ladies shoe, i'd try on some shoes from lake. They come in 3 widths and they have something for most every foot shape. Their narrowest is the same as the Wide fit from Giro, Shimano and Sidi.

View attachment 206785
Happy Birthday!

Back
Top Bottom