H2H Race #1 Blue Mountain

Chainstretcher

Had a great race cat2 40-49. I love blue and ride it regularly and love the tech sections and I think the organizers maybe had to make a compromises on route due to the soft conditions.

Even then some parts were "soggy" and the river crossing with roots were pretty unridable, but apart from probably 3-4 very short sections course was in great shape, well marked, etc.

Done know about everyone else but the second lap always seems to zoom by.

Has some interesting racing on the second lap as I caught a few - don't know if the bright orange jersey with a white "skater style" helmet reads mtbj but I enjoyed our back and forth - got him on Ned's but then stopped at the top for a gel and he passed me, think we were back and first 3-4 times.

Whilst I had a friend riding who was subject to a bit of uber competitiveness by other riders I found everyone patient, courteous about allowing a rider in front to find the right time to let others pass.

Think I will post about 2.10.

Thanks to the race organizers.

Recap for 2nd to last place

Post your race recaps here! The good, the bad, and the ugly.

OK. Here's the ugly :) Disclaimer: this recap is for a 2nd to last place and I don't know how to write a short recap :eek:

I raced Cat 1 SS. My goal was to end mid pack but that was a stretch given my current level of fitness and that this is a technical course. I felt tired going into the race and was wondering if I should use a lower gear (yes, I should have). Before the start I hear reports from Cat 2 finishers that the course is hard and it's slippery so now I'm more in a mindset of finishing without getting hurt.

A good friend gave me the advice of starting slow so I don't get too tired for the technical sections. For the first time I can remember I listen to the advice (now I can tell I'm getting old) and take the last spot of the group going into the first climb. After the climb I passed two guys and I was behind Chris. I thought if can only keep on his wheel, I'd be fine, but as soon as we started to hit roots, rocks, and all sorts of tricky stuff I started to fall behind and lost him for good.

About half into the first lap I heard my front wheel rattling and noticed my front skewer open. I closed it but I can tell is not working well. A bit later I hit some big rocks and again that noise, look down and the thing is undone. The thought of loosing my front wheel on this course scares me so this time I took the time to cranked it up really well. After this it held for the rest of the race but I was still checking all the time because the level wasn't seated all the way in.

Anyway, by now the two guys I passed on the first climb have passed me and I'm being passed by the fastest guys of the age groups. At one point I have to dismount on some rocks and I hear a rider behind me so I moved and tell him to pass me. When he does I recognize a guy that I was racing with back and forth during SSAP until the end. That was my new rabbit and I found some new energy to stick to his wheel. He was a good technical rider so I was following his lines, for the most part, but a lot of stuff he did I couldn't do and also had a couple of surprises on some of the big boulders trying to follow him.

I managed to stay on his wheel and he offered me to pass him but I declined since I knew he would pass me back as soon as we hit some of the obstacles. At one point he dabbles we both end up walking and he tells me to go ahead and wishes me good luck in the race. I shake his hand, tell him the same although I know we're going to keep seeing each other on the course. Why I tell this? Because when we were racing in SSAP we had a strong argument on the course that went on for a long time and some more bad words at the end of that race. That left a sour taste for me and it was bothering me long after that race, so I really liked that we mended things on a course, while we were racing each other again.

Anyway, second lap is uneventful. Got picked up by some people that I chase for a while. One of the mechanics from my lbs catches up with me and tells me I ride like crap. Yep, I agree and thanks for the honest feedback :) At some point I did get one other SS guy. When I'm about to finish the 2nd lap I was feeling tired, cold and really not wanting to be there but I told myself c'mon just a little more and then I'm home free, but then a few seconds later I realized I still have one more lap and that flattened me.

Starting the 3rd lap my goal now is to not DNF and finish without injuries. I managed to do both in spite of an endo and a couple of falls that I managed to save somewhat. Towards the end I caught another SS guy that flatted and didn't have a tube. He was running with his bike determined to the finish. I offered him my tube but he had 27.5 wheels and didn't really want to change the tire so close to finish.

In spite of feeling like crap, as I'm getting close to the end I'm thinking shit I'm going to have a boring finish and I'm looking ahead to see if I find someone in sight to try to catch but I see no one. However, when I'm in the middle of the turn on last downhill on the fire road I suddenly hear a rider passing me on the inside and that scared the shit out of me since I was just about to washout and without room to go wider. When we get to the bottom and make the turn onto the paved climb to the finish the rider slows down and tells me that he's sorry and he didn't mean to scare me. It's all good for me and now I'm trying to beat him on the last stretch. He know's I'm not in his class but takes the challenge and we both did a long sprint to the finish. I'm glued to his wheel until the cross the line but ran out of gear to try and pass him.

After I finished I went straight to the car, chatted with Chris, met another board member (Rotin) and head home since I had to catch a soccer game.

Getting back in the mix in Cat 1 is going to be tougher that I thought and will take longer but I like the challenge.

Here is my recap:

Lined up with at least 15 ladies in Cat 2, pleased that there were at 8 40+ racers to make things interesting. Passed a number of ladies on the very first rocky uphill climb off the road and then kept things just below the redline for as long as I could. Was bummed to see Christy on the side with a mechanical...that always sucks especially right at the beginning of a race. Caught one more lady at the end of lap 1 as she took a water break, but I think she was in the 19-39 group. There were many areas on this course that are challenging and techy on a dry day, but after 2 days of rain they were essentially unrideable. Notably: the off camber roots and stream crossings on Monster and a few of the rocky rooty "ups" on Sis. My rear wheel was squirrely the whole ride (probably overinflated) but I managed not to fall. The second lap I rode much cleaner, learning from my mistakes on the first lap. Once the Cat 3 boys caught up to me towards the end of lap 2 I used them as a pacer to finish faster. With 2:2-somehting of ride time, this was physically and technically a very challenging race for so early in the season, and I was very pleased to see that I came in 2nd after Reba (she raced solid into 1st place, I never even saw her after the start!!)

My congratulations to the ladies who just moved up from Cat 3 ... not an easy start! But always a fun race, and one I try to never miss.

Last edited:
I think i left my lungs out there on the mountain!

Here is my recap:

Lined up with at least 15 ladies in Cat 2, pleased that there were at 8 40+ racers to make things interesting. Passed a number of ladies on the very first rocky uphill climb off the road and then kept things just below the redline for as long as I could. Was bummed to see Christy on the side with a mechanical...that always sucks especially right at the beginning of a race. Caught one more lady at the end of lap 1 as she took a water break, but I think she was in the 19-39 group. There were many areas on this course that are challenging and techy on a dry day, but after 2 days of rain they were essentially unrideable. Notably: the off camber roots and stream crossings on Monster and a few of the rocky rooty "ups" on Sis. My rear wheel was squirrely the whole ride (probably overinflated) but I managed not to fall. The second lap I rode much cleaner, learning from my mistakes on the first lap. Once the Cat 3 boys caught up to me towards the end of lap 2 I used them as a pacer to finish faster. With 2:2-somehting of ride time, this was physically and technically a very challenging race for so early in the season, and I was very pleased to see that I came in 2nd after Reba (she raced solid into 1st place, I never even saw her after the start!!)

My congratulations to the ladies who just moved up from Cat 3 ... not an easy start! But always a fun race, and one I try to never miss.

Congratulation!!

Cat 3 30-39 first season h2h with a 6th place finish. I am still coughing up Ned's left lung today. Tough course, unlike anything I've ridden ever before. All in all, I love how competitive it is when in the moment and then you talk to the guys you were racing against and it's suddenly a happy moment reflecting on how each other ride.. It was truly a great time and looking forward to the rest of the season with this group of guys! Great sportsmanship all around!

Last edited:
Cat2, 40-49. Tough course indeed, especially for first race of season. Great layout tho, much more single track than fire road/ double track. Trails were pretty sloppy and slick but that just added to the fun challenge!
I started out near the middle of a pretty large group, think 34 entries when I last checked. I knew it was going to bottleneck shortly after start, and had no chance for any kind of hole shot so I hung back hoping to pass some riders on the first little rocky climb as they walked. That didn't happen since all but the frontrunners were walking, so I had to walk too. Made sure to ride it second lap, tho. Rode the rest of the first lap at a good pace, knowing second lap is usually better and goes by quicker, raced with a few riders outside my class and also had some friendly bantor with other riders - hey, we're all out there to have fun, ride as hard as you can, and I didn't see any ESPN cameras or Olympic scouts.
Second lap I tried to improve on sections or lines I missed the first time around. I was definitely physically exhausted at the end, so that means I gave it my all, didn't take any extended breaks, and will be back out there at Wawayanda next week.
Strava ride-time had me at 2:19, physical clocktime has me at 2:37, so it'll be interesting to see where I placed and how far back from the leaders. Overall, great time, good to see familiar faces and meet new people.

CAT3 Mens 30 - 39. Second year mountain biker - First XC race: Finished 4th out of 17. I never rode Blue mountain before "Cold Turkey" - in fact, I had no clue what to expect.

Let me start by saying that this experience was a physical and emotional roller coaster to say the least. I have a whole new perspective and respect for the men and women who compete in the sport of cross country mountain biking. The mental and physical toughness that a person must have to compete in and complete one of these races is amazing and humbling. Pure AWESOMENESS!

Here’s my story….

As the race is about to begin, I'm experiencing the usual sweaty palm, butterflies in the stomach and what I would consider "pre life changing experience jitters". The starter counts us down and we're off... I come out second and can't believe it... Cranking away, my mind went into a blur and I forget how to shift - complete brain fart followed by my left foot unclipping from the pedal as I fumble over the first small rock garden (it felt like an eternity of fumbling). I look back and my cousin (RobW) on my wheel. We make our way into the first set of "oh shit moments" of single track rock gardens. I was not expecting that level of tech. Onwards and upwards we go after a few dismounts... Ned's left lung - that is when I began talking to myself, asking if I really wanted to continue with this hobby (which included a bunch of expletives). Just when I though the climbing was over, nope!.. (more expletives) That happened like 25 more times throughout the race..

In between all that - I became dazed and confused again, not knowing where I was, all alone in the middle of these trails with the exception of passing a few spectators, stopped riders and other classed riders. I really had no clue what position I was in, I forgot what gears I should've been in. All training and preparation went out the window. Survival mode kicked in: dodging rock gardens, manipulating obstacles, breathing and switching gears so my legs didn't catch on fire. To top it off, try to drink something to clear the junk from my throat. Additionally, realizing that my bike is taking a beating like never before and I was waiting for something to break. Then I reached what I would consider the highest point of the race where mostly everything past that was downhill: switchbacks, small tech climbs and faster stuff. That is where I was passed by the guys who took first and second. That's right, I was running first and had no clue - I thought I was in sixth or seventh at that point. Then I got into a small battle with the dude who finished third around mile 5. I had nothing for him at the end but we raced each other with courtesy.

As I approached the finish, I decided to ride a wheelie to the finish line to show off a little for the family waiting for me at the finish line. As I cross, I hear my 3 year old ask me if I won. I tried to hold in the vomit feeling, dropped to my knees and gave him a hug and said no, I lost. He then said - "i proud of you - you lost".. That is when all the emotional defeat kicked in… Ugh- That was one of the toughest things I ever did mentally and physically!

I do want to call out a couple things that stood out to me as I raced – I approached one women at the top of a small tech climb, as I passed her, she jumped on her bike and followed me as we approached a tough rock face climb. As we approached, she coached me on how I should tackle it… I followed her instructions to the detail and I went right up… Whoever that was, thank for that!!! You rock (see what I did there).. Also – I recall passing another women with a MTBNJ jersey while on top of a huge rock.. As I passed her, I yelled over – “I love that web site!”…and then proceeded to launch off of the drop with slight style ;)

I have to say - Most riders I encountered on the course were courteous, respectful and friendly.

So to speed up the story, after finishing, changing, eating (getting rid of my “hangry” feeling) and heading back to the lodge with my wife, three kids, brother and cousin (RobW), I'm outside the lodge hanging out waiting for race results... I hear someone calling me from inside the lodge - I walk in and the dude with the microphone had my 8 year in the middle of the floor handing him a brand new Cannondale BMX bike... How cool is that!!! Talk about the icing on the cake..

Overall – I found everyone on the course and everyone @ the before & after activities to be real good people. Down to earth, friendly and respectful. I look forward to the next round and hope to continue to learn and grow with this new hobby!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Let me start by saying that this experience was a physical and emotional roller coaster to say the least. I have a whole new perspective and respect for the men and women who compete in the sport of cross country mountain biking. The mental and physical toughness that a person must have to compete in and complete one of these races is amazing and humbling. Pure AWESOMENESS!

Yes it's an amazing journey that takes years to get to the top. Nice race and start Mike. Keep it rolling...

Back
Top Bottom