Hills Hills Hills ... just how steep is steep

Dirt

Since I haven't met many on this forum, let me first say that I'm 240lbs and 5-9. Yes, I know losing weight will help. I'm working on it.

I spend most of my time riding in and around Mendham. There are two hills that I just can't make it up and it's been driving me nuts. I've been working on them since last year.

The two hills - street wise, but on my fs mtb - Mountain Ave where it turns into Calais. The other, is on Patriots Path, heading from Whitehead Rd towards LMP.

I can make all but maybe the middle 100' of the Patriots Path climb, and today I got further on Mtn than ever before - up to the #9 mailbox which is just below the 2nd turn.

Hopefully someone knows these climbs....Are these considered tougher climbs that I shouldn't feel too bad about or it is still just the fact that I'm the old fat dude and will never make it up?

I don't know these climbs in particular but you shouldn't feel bad about not being able to make it up any hill in particular. People don't get much more out of shape and fatter then me when I started. I ride lewis morris and when I first started there last year I had to stop multiple times on yellow trail. Which is pretty damn flat! But I kept pushing, trying to ride at least three to four times a week at 5 miles or more every time out. Now I can blow through LM on the second ring no less! Sadly I'm still fat though, lol. My diet sucks hard.

Point being, unless your training for a race you really shouldn't go comparing your performance in a hobby to others. Every time you get on your bike and pedal you're already better off then you were the day before. Keep pushing and before you know it you'll be flying up those hills. Funny thing is by the time you are doing it you won't even care that you are.

Ride as much as your schedule allows and I can guarantee that you're body will not let you down. You'll accomplish what you're after. Also my secret technique is to get pissed at the damn hill and curse at it relentlessly while you focus on pedaling even circles. :p I've made up quite a few new derogatory terms while struggling up some of the climbs at Ringwood!!

Thanks mugen939. Wasn't so interested in comparing myself to anyone else, but rather in comparing these two specific hills to others. I know the hills are getting less hard (won't ever say easy)... like in LMP last year I couldn't make some of the hills on the yellow course and now can. I'm just not a fan of the park although maybe I just need to hit it on diff hours. I know there are a bunch here that have ridden the hills I'm talking about, so I'm just looking for folks to tell me how difficult these hills really are. I need some perspective. Thx

LM has a fair amount of climbing in it...i think the race course (which is mostly yellow) goes for about 1000' of elevation change per lap. not the most technically challenging place but you get your hills in for sure.

keep at it. i was EXACTLY in your shoes a few years ago (5'9" 250) and just riding more puts me now at about 185.

good luck.

Back
Top Bottom