How the hell are we supposed to retire?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Anyone here planning to leave significant amounts to their kids or someone down stream? I have an argument with MrsQ that the kids don't need a large inheritance from us and that we should spend like drunken sailors when in our 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Don't under live!
This is a tough call, as spending early when 'young' - so can travel and enjoy events, may have a detrimental effect down the road.

Balance?

We don't need no stinkin' balance.

1708787314676.gif

Now that I'm long SOKS per DT....

1708787538851.gif

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
71bX6s3VN0L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Fire Lord Jim

Anyone here planning to leave significant amounts to their kids or someone down stream? I have an argument with MrsQ that the kids don't need a large inheritance from us and that we should spend like drunken sailors when in our 70s, 80s, and 90s.
This is a dilemma. It's also why we should revisit our wills every five years or so. Providing for your 20 year old offspring is different than for your 55 year old offspring.

The problem with drunken sailor spending is that you might still have big expenses. A few years in a nursing home can use up a lot of cash.

My kids are in their 20s, so I plan to leave them some... not enough that doing something stupid with it would ruin them. When they are older, I would change the will to give more.

As to downstream bequests, there is an efficient strategy here. Aim ROTHs and capital gain assets to your kids, and aim untaxed IRAs at tax-exempt charities. This sends most of your assets where you want them, and the least to the Infernal Revenue Service.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
This is a dilemma. It's also why we should revisit our wills every five years or so. Providing for your 20 year old offspring is different than for your 55 year old offspring.

The problem with drunken sailor spending is that you might still have big expenses. A few years in a nursing home can use up a lot of cash.

My kids are in their 20s, so I plan to leave them some... not enough that doing something stupid with it would ruin them. When they are older, I would change the will to give more.

As to downstream bequests, there is an efficient strategy here. Aim ROTHs and capital gain assets to your kids, and aim untaxed IRAs at tax-exempt charities. This sends most of your assets where you want them, and the least to the Infernal Revenue Service.

We've identified a financial custodian separate from trustee just in case of our simultaneous, untimely death.

If we aren't around and the kid decides to become a professional student, living in a van in Malibu, that's fine.

Gunna have to wait to get the gt3....

w_b

Come summer 2032 my twins should finish their 4th year of college and coincidentally I’ll reach full SS retirement age of 67. Eyes on the prize.

Now that my bride is back in the workforce, AND she landed a local BOE job with OMFG good bennies, my path is paving nicely. Live within your means people, but don’t forget to have fun!

Fun:
IMG_4217.jpeg

IMG_3206.jpeg

IMG_1701.jpeg

Last edited:

John the Plumber

Reactions: w_b
Top Bottom