Kittatinny Valley State Park Conditions

Ron

Rode this morning with the Warren/Sussex NICA team. Conditions were great, for the trails we rode. I do not have Strava on my computer but will add a picture of the trails we rode later.

Ron

Here is map. 10.40 miles

Attachments

• 067F4757-99FE-44BB-BD11-985C6D32CB21.jpeg
    067F4757-99FE-44BB-BD11-985C6D32CB21.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 136

littlev21

very big tree down (multiple trunks) across the beginning of the cell tower climb. Too big to climb over, and no easy go around.

Ironjunk

There is a brutal logover that has been built up on the hemlock trail. Didn't take a picture but it's been there for a while, and i would say very out of place.

Last edited:

mtn

There is a brutal logover that has been built up on the hemlock trail. Didn't take a picture but it's been there for a while, and i would say very out of place.
So across the trail? I'll get to it next time I'm over there. Is it closer to the office side or forest fire side?

Ironjunk

the trail that goes south from the second lot field that connects to the inner fire road. More toward the fire road.

Reactions: mtn

mtn

So the trees in question were cut, but for the sake of people who clear trails, don’t roll (likely with 3 people) a massive log from off the trail up against a down tree on the trail in order to build a log over. You are making the problem twice as big. Either find a smaller log that is manageable or don’t use anything at all.
Long story short, there is still a chunk of log on the blue trail that needs to be moved.

Stef

❤ Brownie Biatch ❤
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So the trees in question were cut, but for the sake of people who clear trails, don’t roll (likely with 3 people) a massive log from off the trail up against a down tree on the trail in order to build a log over. You are making the problem twice as big. Either find a smaller log that is manageable or don’t use anything at all.
Long story short, there is still a chunk of log on the blue trail that needs to be moved.
trees cut in Kittatiny are done by maintenance crew not a JORBA person so they have no clue what mountain bikers need

mtn

Not sure how long they have been there or if the work is contracted out, but tree guys are felling and removing nearly all the ash trees and wooly-adelgid affected hemlocks in parts of the park. Nice to see these hazards being removed.

Mildly Wild

Tree down on Vernal Trail about 50 - 60 yards in from where VT 1st exits Sussex Branch if going north on SB. Split limb (2 trunks) about 7" diameter and 5" diameter. I think too big for hand saw

mtn

Easily go overable tree on the red trail north of the tower. And a leaning dead tree just past that.

Slightly more difficult log over on the green trail closer to red intersection.

And one on the offshoot of the red Andover Junction Tr just north of the ALT.

This is more for my notes for if I get back over there with my equipment. Please add in any other intel.

Top Bottom