Kittatinny Valley State Park Conditions

onetracker

Anyone ride Kitty this weekend? Conditions update? My buddy is thinking about taking his daughter for a ride out that way.

Santa

conditions are good. I put in 19 miles without dismounting. You can definitely find a good loop.

littlev21

What are you talking about? Have you even been there?
yes I have and there's at least two dismounts required to duck under stuff. One was a cluster that a few of the branches were cut out but one was left at about 4 foot off the ground. another was about a 8" dia. trunk 3' off the ground. This is the loop west of the pond, just east of the 206 lot, and just off the rail trail.

and what's with the "have you even been there?" attitude? Like I'm making this up for the fun of it?

mtn

yes I have and there's at least two dismounts required to duck under stuff. One was a cluster that a few of the branches were cut out but one was left at about 4 foot off the ground. another was about a 8" dia. trunk 3' off the ground. This is the loop west of the pond, just east of the 206 lot, and just off the rail trail.

and what's with the "have you even been there?" attitude? Like I'm making this up for the fun of it?

How is that a "ton"? I take this personal because I'm the one making a two hour round trip with my chainsaw to do the cleanup. Not to mention I've put about 20 hours of on-trail time in so far. To say that there are a ton of fallen trees crossing the trails is absurd and misleading, especially since every marked trail is clear minus one tree that the park maintenance will be cutting. Also, as of Sunday, there were no trees on the trail you mentioned.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@mtnbiker49 & @littlev21 -

Just a quick observation - I think there was a bit of internet conversation disconnect going on -

As in, the trail Little rode had trees down, and communicated it as a large amount of work to be cleared.

And Mtnbiker was really asking, have you been there lately, cause i cleared it.

So thank you for reporting, and thank you for clearing.

SmooveP

Rode Kitt today and it was in great shape. Thanks to the peeps with the chainsaws! Lot was crowded but hardly saw anyone on the “real” trails.

Reactions: mtn

TPI_Elky

Rode yesterday afternoon and it was almost perfect except for two wet spots on the rail trail. One near the lot and long muddy section in the rock cut.

Other than that the trails were all dry. Didn't get to do too many good trails since I was out with my 10yo. Had fun though and didn't see too many people on the trail given how packed the parking lot was.

mtn

Was here yesterday. Pretty apparent that nobody takes care of the trails regularly. Of the hundred downed trees from the ice storm, the park staff had one tree to clear from their trail system. It was even put on a map. Nope, still there.

kidzach

Was here yesterday. Pretty apparent that nobody takes care of the trails regularly. Of the hundred downed trees from the ice storm, the park staff had one tree to clear from their trail system. It was even put on a map. Nope, still there.
Defund the parks is real

What on earth are u talking about? I go there every other day and the trees are cleared regularly after almost ever storm. There has been 2-3 more bad storms since the ice one and they cleared almost everything. I only know of one tree in that whole park that wasnt cleared and it was huge and on a small trail that can be bypassed...and you can tell they even tried but failed. The ones you see now are brand new from that last tornado warning less then a week ago..

Its almost like youve never even been there and dont see the dozens and dozens of cleared trees along the paths every week. Some were cleared just last week from the last storm!

Also, its not a mountain bike park..the only people maintiaining trails for mtn bikers are other bikers... Park people only clear trees for us.

mtn

What on earth are u talking about? I go there every other day and the trees are cleared regularly after almost ever storm. There has been 2-3 more bad storms since the ice one and they cleared almost everything. I only know of one tree in that whole park that wasnt cleared and it was huge and on a small trail that can be bypassed...and you can tell they even tried but failed. The ones you see now are brand new from that last tornado warning less then a week ago..

Its almost like youve never even been there and dont see the dozens and dozens of cleared trees along the paths every week. Some were cleared just last week from the last storm!

Also, its not a mountain bike park..the only people maintiaining trails for mtn bikers are other bikers... Park people only clear trees for us.

You couldn't be more wrong, unless you only ride the rail beds which KVSP DOES maintain. KVSP does not cut trees that are on their trail system. How do I know? There is a split trunk tree on the blue trail that I deemed to be larger than my saw could handle safely, so I marked it out on the map at the office for maintenance to take care of back in March or April (before covid). It was "one" tree and less than a five minute walk. Still there. Oh and that one that you said they tried on, yeah, my battery died.

And I'm not saying that there are some bikers/hikers out there with hand saws trying to get the small stuff cleared after storms. I am talking about the state.

You couldn't be more wrong, unless you only ride the rail beds which KVSP DOES maintain. KVSP does not cut trees that are on their trail system. How do I know? There is a split trunk tree on the blue trail that I deemed to be larger than my saw could handle safely, so I marked it out on the map at the office for maintenance to take care of back in March or April (before covid). It was "one" tree and less than a five minute walk. Still there. Oh and that one that you said they tried on, yeah, my battery died.

And I'm not saying that there are some bikers/hikers out there with hand saws trying to get the small stuff cleared after storms. I am talking about the state.

Im sorry, i misunderstood you because the way your original post is worded makes it sound like your implying there are still downed trees everywhere, when there is not. Now i see that your just saying the park guys arent helping. Understood. I was explicitly told NOT to help with any tree removal that requires the use of power tools by people on here, and from park office them selves. You need to be certified and have insurance so i did not think ALL the clearing was you guys. Thats sucks. If you need any help, please let me know. I have every tool needed for tree removal plus an Ebike with a tool carrier for deeper sections. I cut down trees all the time on my own property so i have experience, i just dont want trouble from the park for helping.

Reactions: mtn

Fat Trout

Im sorry, i misunderstood you because the way your original post is worded makes it sound like your implying there are still downed trees everywhere, when there is not. Now i see that your just saying the park guys arent helping. Understood. I was explicitly told NOT to help with any tree removal that requires the use of power tools by people on here, and from park office them selves. You need to be certified and have insurance so i did not think ALL the clearing was you guys. Thats sucks. If you need any help, please let me know. I have every tool needed for tree removal plus an Ebike with a tool carrier for deeper sections. I cut down trees all the time on my own property so i have experience, i just dont want trouble from the park for helping.
As someone who is local and has a certain level of clearance in some parks I understand KVSP park management has different standards. I have offered help and stand down in respect (like it or not). Your position is appropriate.

avc8130

I ride KVSP regularly. I generally stop and handle anything that can be dealt with using my folding Corona saw. We even go in and deal with stuff using a large folding Silky. I can think of less than 5 trees we had to stand down on. In fact...there are go-arounds well-established now. If you expect the state govt to take care of the trails you don't understand their role. Their role is to do nothing but lock you out. If you want the trails nice, we gotta take care of them ourselves.

mtn

I’ll be at KVSP today (since I have to go to newton anyway) clearing a couple trails with pruners and loppers. Really wish I had a brush cutter.

mtn

Well dang. Well every tree from March of last year was cleared. But due to lack of maintenance aka standing dead timber/hazard removal, quite a few more trees down on the trails.

Also cut the final downed tree on the red trail (large oak as usual), filled in the "go around" with large branches and sticks, and not three days later, some moron removed all of them. So, as any reasonable trail maintainer would do...I filled it back in with branches. We'll see how long it lasts. It's literally a somewhat rocky 15' long go around where any additional traffic will compromise the root system and make the tree fall since 2/3 of the tree already fell into the trail.

Top Bottom