Maxxix Rekon 2.4 wearing fast

JDurk

Installed this brand new on the rear of my Pivot T429 prior to TSE. 5 days of TSE, a ride at Wissahickon on Sat, less than 200 miles and the side knobs look like this.
20230604_114831.jpg

Tire spec pictured. Pressure was around 21psi.
20230604_115527.jpg

I was hoping to get a bit more like out of them. Anyone else having Rekons wear out this fast. I had them wear out previously on my SS, but not this fast.
Back to looking at this thread. https://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/maxxis-forekaster-gen2-29er.54722/#post-1157057

I'm planning to use this bike for W101 and looks like if I run a Rekon in the rear for that event, I better plan on getting a new tire before and plan on throwing it away after.

Last edited:
Is this OE or aftermarket? Looks OE (white letter vs yellow). I always thought MAXXIS OE were junk but I’ve been strongly disputed on the ol interwebs.

I had the same tires on my orbea wear super quick as well. But aftermarket MAXXIS Rekons are better.

Is this OE or aftermarket? Looks OE (white letter vs yellow). I always thought MAXXIS OE were junk but I’ve been strongly disputed on the ol interwebs.

I had the same tires on my orbea wear super quick as well. But aftermarket MAXXIS Rekons are better.
Purchased new from the LBS stock or on-line. Yellow Maxxis logo . I have another that was OE on a different bike, has many more miles, and doesn't look this bad.
Rekon.jpg

Purchased new from the LBS stock or on-line. Yellow Maxxis logo . I have another that was OE on a different bike, has many more miles, and doesn't look this bad.
View attachment 215037
Funny I have had the same ardent on the back of my XC bike for like 2 years....But I dont run them on my other bikes, either minions or Assagis.....I will say, I love my maxxis tires...I think they "work" better than most other tires I have used (XC tires being the exception occasionally), I rarely ever put holes in them....but ya, they do wear out and I buy alot of them.

Ride moar slowr
Only chance of that happening is if I gain back all the weight I lost.

Funny I have had the same ardent on the back of my XC bike for like 2 years....But I dont run them on my other bikes, either minions or Assagis.....I will say, I love my maxxis tires...I think they "work" better than most other tires I have used (XC tires being the exception occasionally), I rarely ever put holes in them....but ya, they do wear out and I buy alot of them.
I ran Rekon 2.6/2.4 combo on a Scalpel for '21 TSE. The rear still looks usable with many more than 200 miles on it. Dissector 2.4/Rekon 2.4 combo on the Pivot T429 for '22 and '23 TSE. There was rain on occassion in '21 and '22, bone dry and dusty in '23. Maybe the rocks were grippy this year vs slippery.

3c Maxx Terra is the softer compound usually used for a front tire . Just get the duel compound it will last longer and prob roll a lil faster .
That makes sense. When I ordered, pretty sure dual compound were out of stock.

I have 1500 miles on a rear Rekon run at 25 psi and the side knobs look like that now. I found the tire really got beat up at CR, Stephens and Dickerson Mine. It doesn't like rocks, but who does?

I have the Rekon 2.6 on my hardtail front and rear. About 400 miles so far - a lot of rocks - and the tread seems to be holding up pretty well.

I'd be amazed if they don't send you a replacement tire. Did you reach out?
I did. The reply was that their website has been down and not working 100%, with no timeframe when it will be fully functional again. Was asked to send pictures.

Already shopping for Dual Compound versions of the new gen Forekaster 2.4 and Rekon 2.4.

Though short, it must have been some intense, rocky conditions. Even the hot patch is all scraped up.

I ate through a 29 2.4 and a 29 2.6 Rekon @JDurk in the past year. I have had good luck with tires for decades but not so much the past couple of years. Starting to wonder if the quality has gone down as I actually pick lines. For years prior would just monster truck stuff…

Back
Top Bottom