Movies Pearl Should See...

Total Recall. The original, not sure why they are coming out with a remake...

George Lucas started this trend when he went back and updated scenes from Star Wars. A lot of people like to say its becasue Hollywood is "out of ideas", but that's ridiculous -- the potential for new stories continues to be limitless. I think the real reason for a lot of these remakes is evident in the specific movies that are being remade -- movies with lots of special effects from the 80's and 90's (e.g., there are remakes planned for Red Dawn, Mad Max, RoboCop, Judge Dredd, Escape from New York, and one of my all-time favorite movies, The Crow.) The fact is, today's technologies offer the potential for the movie to come closer to the original "vision" of it, a vision that was compromised by available technologies of its time. It can work or not, and fans of the original will often have a visceral reaction against the new version, but objectively, its a good business move by the studio: a heavy-on-the-special-effects brand with existing name recognition that could be improved by advances in effects.

But that said ... they better not f*ck up The Crow! :D

Red Dawn... that should be on Pearl's list too. He is too young to remember the Cold War though. I haven't seen that in such a long time, probably would be a bit cheesy now.

I haven't seen that in such a long time, probably would be a bit cheesy now.

...a bit??? its still fun to re-visit old cheesy movies. Although seeing these classics in the movie theater was part of the awesomeness.

There are two times I can remember being in a theater that were awesome...Terminator 2; when Arnold has the shotgun on the motorcycle and he is cocking and firing with one hand...the croud applauded spontaneoulsy. and Rocky, the first one...yeah i saw it in a theater and it was incredible. Everyone was clapping and yelling Rocky at the end.

George Lucas started this trend when he went back and updated scenes from Star Wars. A lot of people like to say its becasue Hollywood is "out of ideas", but that's ridiculous -- the potential for new stories continues to be limitless. I think the real reason for a lot of these remakes is evident in the specific movies that are being remade -- movies with lots of special effects from the 80's and 90's (e.g., there are remakes planned for Red Dawn, Mad Max, RoboCop, Judge Dredd, Escape from New York, and one of my all-time favorite movies, The Crow.) The fact is, today's technologies offer the potential for the movie to come closer to the original "vision" of it, a vision that was compromised by available technologies of its time. It can work or not, and fans of the original will often have a visceral reaction against the new version, but objectively, its a good business move by the studio: a heavy-on-the-special-effects brand with existing name recognition that could be improved by advances in effects.

But that said ... they better not f*ck up The Crow! :D

I too am of the opinion that the movies that have been put out have lacked originality with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 per year... that being said though, the last movie with a storyline that actually made me say "holy-ish" (like Sixth Sense "I see dead people" holy-ish) was the Matrix... totally mind blowing plot... sure there have been others since but they are very few and far between...

On The Crow - I would prefer they left well enough alone... I absolutely love that movie and I think (generally speaking) it's very difficult to successfully remake a classic (cult or hollywood)...

Back to the movies Pearl should see topic (I'm thinking I should have titled this thread 'movies Pearl should see that he would actually enjoy') I was just thinking about the opening scene of "Way of the Gun" (language NSFW) that Walter has mentioned at least half a dozen times on the board but I can't remember if it's in this thread and I'm too lazy to click and search...

EDIT: Oh and 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'

carry on...

Last edited:
At the suggestion of Luke, I watched Dead Alive.
It is now my favorite move of the moment.
Therefore Pearl needs to see it.

On another note, has anyone seen Jeepers Creepers? Someone told me to watch it a while ago. It has moved its way up to the top of my netflix queue.
I'm wondering if it's any good.

no order:

Ground hog day
The matrix
Princess Bride

Total Recall - as much as my brain wants to dislike Arnold as an actor, I just love this movie

Why has this classic been omitted ?

A lot of great classics here. But you all have omitted a big one which should be sandwiched in between the likes of Shawshank Redemption and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest ; Cool Hand Luke. And another instant classic Gran Torino .And for those who are fans of Spinal Tap, check out rap's version called Fear Of A Black Hat.I am not at all a fan of rap but this is a hillarious movie. I believe that is better than Spinal Tap. She's Out of My League (was very surprised by this one) has a ton of great/classic lines in it.And Alice Eve is not to shabby to look at.

Bringing it back like 'the sexy'.

So after talking movies with some of you guys Saturday night, JP reminded me about this thread. Perfect timing. Let's recap. Since this thread was opened over 2 years ago, the big homie has finally seen Pulp Fiction. This makes me happy. Maybe after another 100 recommendations, we can all come back in 2016 and he'll have seen a second :D

Getting back to the 'movies Pearl should see', I recommend Sin City and Donnie Darko

Last edited:

i might put this in the worst movies paid for thread, right next to the devil's rain

-----

watch :

omega man
then
i am legend

compare the two, and discuss the development of the main character as others are introduced. this will be worth 50% of your grade. do you think having the fresh prince play the part somehow affected your expectations over john the baptist and moses.

Back
Top Bottom