One wheelset for CX and XC MTB.

They are totes gr8 gravel wheels but I think I could get something lighter and betterer for just a tad more.

Valor Pro/PDX combo was great this season.... they're 21.6mm inner. The Podium and Crest CB7/MK3's are 23mm inner. The PDX's were wide AF on the Valors... I can't imagine that CX tires wouldn't be fine on the 23mm rims, and you'd be better off when the XC tires are on. Just get the Podium SRD's.

Valor Pro/PDX combo was great this season.... they're 21.6mm inner. The Podium and Crest CB7/MK3's are 23mm inner. The PDX's were wide AF on the Valors... I can't imagine that CX tires wouldn't be fine on the 23mm rims, and you'd be better off when the XC tires are on. Just get the Podium SRD's.

This would be my vote.

FYI, PDX/MXP are pretty wide on 23mm rims. 35/36mm if I recall correctly. But I'm not UCI...

If I was a bitcoin millionaire this is the way I'd go. Or if I had two bikes with the same hub standards...

I'm riding the new Crest CB7s and love them so far. I have 2.25 RaRa's on them. They handled the rock gardens at Round Valley this past weekend at speed with zero issues.

I'm riding the new Crest CB7s and love them so far. I have 2.25 RaRa's on them. They handled the rock gardens at Round Valley this past weekend at speed with zero issues.
but what about cyclocross tires? and they are $1400? thats too much for me

but what about cyclocross tires? and they are $1400? thats too much for me

Less expensive than the Podium or Bravo wheels that others are suggesting. The Crest CB7 is 23mm internal width and officially rated for 32mm and larger tires up to 45psi.

What’s wrong with Iron Cross rims? They are 20mm internal and are 75g/rim ligher than Grails. And, they’re really inexpensive so you can smash into rocks without worrying.

What’s wrong with Iron Cross rims? They are 20mm internal and are 75g/rim ligher than Grails. And, they’re really inexpensive so you can smash into rocks without worrying.

Iron Cross? You mean the ones that are on sale right now on the notubes.com website? That are now $48 a rim? And cheap wheelsets? That may be a winner...

I've been using a set of Iron Cross Comp (the cheap ones) wheels with 40c Kenda Happy Mediums for serious MTB on a CX bike stuff for a couple years and the've been great. I'm cuious how the'd work with 33c tires at <20psi though. Iron Cross been around for years so I'm sure there is some real world data. It sounds like Stan's has continuously tweaked their rim bed profile over the years to make them work better for stupid low CX type pressures but not sure how these compare to Valors.

I've been using a set of Iron Cross Comp (the cheap ones) wheels with 40c Kenda Happy Mediums for serious MTB on a CX bike stuff for a couple years and the've been great. I'm cuious how the'd work with 33c tires at <20psi though. Iron Cross been around for years so I'm sure there is some real world data. It sounds like Stan's has continuously tweaked their rim bed profile over the years to make them work better for stupid low CX type pressures but not sure how these compare to Valors.
Pearl all about the carbon. I can’t say I am sold on China carbon over good alum rims. Maybe if I built my own wheels it would be a good option but is the ride quality that much better to deal with having to relace a wheel on A higher frequency?

one anagram of china carbon is cabin anchor....just more stupid sh*t out of the inside of my head......

just to learn something here - with a quick google.
these bikes are 135mm spacing with disk brakes?

one anagram of china carbon is cabin anchor....just more stupid sh*t out of the inside of my head......

just to learn something here - with a quick google.
these bikes are 135mm spacing with disk brakes?
Duh

So this is the idea:

The Pearl SS is TA in the front, QR in the rear - Has no wheelz ATM, just sold my crest wheelset with SS rear hubs, but wanted to sell them mostly because I want to run gears on them.
The Aloominator is QR front rear - has grails mounted up currently.

With the money from the crests I sold, plus what I would get by selling the Grails, I think I can have something better than both, be lighter and stiffer. I'm 99% sure I'm going to pull the trigger on these.

The Grails ride good, the Crests are good obviously, but I'm hoping that these china jawns are a notch above, little lighter, blah blah blah.
If I could swap the Grails for Iron Cross i would maybe do that, but I don't think I could or if it would even be worth it

So this is the idea:

The Pearl SS is TA in the front, QR in the rear - Has no wheelz ATM, just sold my crest wheelset with SS rear hubs, but wanted to sell them mostly because I want to run gears on them.
The Aloominator is QR front rear - has grails mounted up currently.

With the money from the crests I sold, plus what I would get by selling the Grails, I think I can have something better than both, be lighter and stiffer. I'm 99% sure I'm going to pull the trigger on these.

The Grails ride good, the Crests are good obviously, but I'm hoping that these china jawns are a notch above, little lighter, blah blah blah.
If I could swap the Grails for Iron Cross i would maybe do that, but I don't think I could or if it would even be worth it
Valors are on sale guy. And on extra sale because u know.

except when they're 142 T/A rear and 15mm T/A front...or 12mm front. Or Cannondale specific 142 mm rear with Ai 6mm offset spacing. #standards

China carbon cabin anchors are so much stiffer than a peasant metal rim of the same weight...and way stronger too. Go with those jawns for the $ for race day and train on your boat anchor grails.

Current CX wheelzzzz

Iron Cross Comp. Was QR f and r on old CrUX. Set up tubeless with Specialized Terra Pro. Zero fucks give down to about 28psi (at 175#s).

Sold CrUX, now have Boone. TA f, QR r.
Iron Cross with TA end caps and BOS tires.
Valor Pro TA/QR with PDX tires.

The difference is night and day. Even before putting on the BOS tires. I can go down to about 25-26psi on the Valors.

GET THE VALORS FFS.

IMG_0596.JPG

Back
Top Bottom