Over-biking

JohnnyWestood

Hello all. I am in the research stage for my first full suspension bike. I had an epiphany and wondered if anyone else had an opinion on it. I am just getting back in to the sport after 20 years. I know too much about bikes, I am a bike snob. I want bikes that are so far beyond my skill level as to be wasted on me.

So has anyone else climbed the price ladder and regretted it? I feel there is a minimum level below which you are jeopardizing your experience, but on the other end do I really want a bike that would be a stretch to afford and that I would worry about crashing? I will be crashing, that’s a given.

I’m kind of proud of my new found fiscal responsibility here. Only problem is that when I get to the shop and smell the rubber and see the shiny things I tend to get carried away. :)

stick within your budget... and keep it a hard number. debt is no fun.

and i'd recommend getting a less-than-perfect bike to learn/practice on... beat the crap out of that for a year or two and then move up the bike price ladder.

@MissJR is right on point, IMHO. That being said, don't by an entry lower/mid level bike if you plan on upgrading every part. This is simply throwing good money out the window.
Ride as many different bikes as you can to figure out what you like the best. Good luck!!

Hello all. I am in the research stage for my first full suspension bike. I had an epiphany and wondered if anyone else had an opinion on it. I am just getting back in to the sport after 20 years. I know too much about bikes, I am a bike snob. I want bikes that are so far beyond my skill level as to be wasted on me.

So has anyone else climbed the price ladder and regretted it? I feel there is a minimum level below which you are jeopardizing your experience, but on the other end do I really want a bike that would be a stretch to afford and that I would worry about crashing? I will be crashing, that’s a given.

I’m kind of proud of my new found fiscal responsibility here. Only problem is that when I get to the shop and smell the rubber and see the shiny things I tend to get carried away. :)

Life is short, buy the bike that you are lusting after. Don't worry about crashing, you won't do any real damage until you are better and faster, crashing at a higher rate of risk and speed. Scratches are badges of honor, plus there are warranties if something does break.

In my experience, if you’re the type of person who tends to self flagellate (not a dirty word) you will do so no matter how much or little you spend on a bike. It’s ok, you’re among friends. Drivetrains break and can be replaced (upgraded) piecemeal so don’t get hung up on the fancy shifty bits of the $$$ bikes. If you’re stuck on a FS, get one with at least mid-level suspension (fork/shock) or you’ll be cheating yourself. Carbon/aluminum is personal decision... but I’d you have only $ to spend IMHO suspension is more important than Frame material for most applications.

2c-

Life is short, buy the bike that you are lusting after. Don't worry about crashing, you won't do any real damage until you are better and faster, crashing at a higher rate of risk and speed. Scratches are badges of honor, plus there are warranties if something does break.
The little devil on my shoulder! :)

Used bikes are a great option IMHO. There's a little more leg work involved but the savings are hard to pass up.

In my experience, if you’re the type of person who tends to self flagellate (not a dirty word) you will do so no matter how much or little you spend on a bike. It’s ok, you’re among friends. Drivetrains break and can be replaced (upgraded) piecemeal so don’t get hung up on the fancy shifty bits of the $$$ bikes. If you’re stuck on a FS, get one with at least mid-level suspension (fork/shock) or you’ll be cheating yourself. Carbon/aluminum is personal decision... but I’d you have only $ to spend IMHO suspension is more important than Frame material for most applications.

2c-
I’m fortunate that I can spend to whatever debt level I feel comfortable with. But, do I want to be the guy on the $5k bike that can’t clear the obstacle when everyone else does?

Also, my lower level option is still crazy expensive! It’s easy to get lost in the spec and the “for a few dollars more” game.

I left the bike shop thinking that a $4800 SC Carbon R was the sweet spot. Now I am looking at the Trek Fuel EX 8. Still not cheap, but I think it or something on that level is a better choice at this point. The $1600 difference is a chunk of my mortgage payment.

Used bikes are a great option IMHO. There's a little more leg work involved but the savings are hard to pass up.
I look on PinkBike, Craigslist, EBay. I rarely find anything that interests me. Plus it would be nice to have some bike shop assistance in setting up and sizing. I’m tall, too tall, and the fit could be tricky.

stick within your budget... and keep it a hard number. debt is no fun.

and i'd recommend getting a less-than-perfect bike to learn/practice on... beat the crap out of that for a year or two and then move up the bike price ladder.
Funny thing is I just bought a car, that no one likes, but I do, because it was cheap and reliable and I could buy it outright. I have trouble applying that philosophy to bikes though! All these reviews and opinions and whatnot. Makes me crazy.

My 2c

Unless you're racing, or riding an absolute shit ton, middle to upper middle of the range will be enough. Focus on getting the best fit, and the highest quality frame you can. Everything else (drivetrain, wheels, bars, seat, brakes, etc) can be upgraded as you wear it out/break it. Fit is #1 priority.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.

fact #1: you will look at another bike a few months after you buy your next bike, despite all the demos and analysis you have done

fact #2: no bike is perfect, you will always think a new bike will make you faster

don't over think this, you'll be doing this again sooner than later

fact #1: you will look at another bike a few months after you buy your next bike, despite all the demos and analysis you have done

fact #2: no bike is perfect, you will always think a new bike will make you faster

don't over think this, you'll be doing this again sooner than later
Cold water to the face! You are right though. This kind of backs up my thinking to not spend too much here. My first FS, not much to compare it to. It’s going to be great coming off a hardtail. And I’m going to want something else almost immediately anyway.

I’m fortunate that I can spend to whatever debt level I feel comfortable with. But, do I want to be the guy on the $5k bike that can’t clear the obstacle when everyone else does?

Also, my lower level option is still crazy expensive! It’s easy to get lost in the spec and the “for a few dollars more” game.

I left the bike shop thinking that a $4800 SC Carbon R was the sweet spot. Now I am looking at the Trek Fuel EX 8. Still not cheap, but I think it or something on that level is a better choice at this point. The $1600 difference is a chunk of my mortgage payment.

Get what you want and enjoy it. Even if it is 5k.

Who guaranteed you that you will out live the bike you bought? Momento mori

Back
Top Bottom