Palestine, OH…WTF

It's a really bad situation out there. The environmental toll is going to be swept under the rug like most things nowadays that the government doesn't want people to know about.

I first came across this incident a few days ago on Coffee and Covid (Substack). Well, I get the email. But still. Pretty good daily brief by a lawyer down in Florida. Usually a 10 minute read and you get stuff mainstream isn't providing.

I was particularly unimpressed by the governor comments...like he just happen to be passing by and had to go somewhere else because, you know, it's dangerous here...how long a string of bad decisions must be taken to get here? Apparently it started a while ago with the railway company lobbing with DOT not to force an update of their braking system...it's particularly creepy that a movie predicting what actually happened (to an extent) was filmed there and some of the local were extras in the movie...

I was particularly unimpressed by the governor comments...like he just happen to be passing by and had to go somewhere else because, you know, it's dangerous here...how long a string of bad decisions must be taken to get here? Apparently it started a while ago with the railway company lobbing with DOT not to force an update of their braking system...it's particularly creepy that a movie predicting what actually happened (to an extent) was filmed there and some of the local were extras in the movie...
Not an expert in this, but I'm going to say the governor is probably in a shitty situation as he's getting blame and probably could have done nothing to prevent this.

Interstate commerce and all that.

The fact that this isn't getting more press is BS.

This was literally a movie my wife and I watched like a month or so ago. Not really, but the movie had a train wreck and a toxic cloud that people were evacuating from.

Not an expert in this, but I'm going to say the governor is probably in a shitty situation as he's getting blame and probably could have done nothing to prevent this.

Totally agreed, I was referring specifically to his attitude during the press conferences I've seen. I never believed that a governor, president, prime minister can be entirely aware of all the details of what happens in his realm...nor take credit for it. What they can do is not to behave like a jackass when addressing the situation.

This was literally a movie my wife and I watched like a month or so ago. Not really, but the movie had a train wreck and a toxic cloud that people were evacuating from.
I did not see the movie, just read it was filmed there. Maybe the official that decided to burn the chemicals watched the movie and thought it was an operational manual?:shrug:

Agree with above. Why is this story not front and center? This is some nasty shit. Vinyl Chloride is persistent in the environment and Phosgene is scary. My wife used to work at a chemical plant further south on the Ohio river that had a phosgene alarm. they all called it the "ass kiss" alarm cause if you heard it, just sit down and kiss your ass goodbye. Cant really expect a governor to get the right choice on burn or not burn toxic and persistent organic chemicals in massive quantities without significant support and guidance. Would like to see what HazMat experts advised him and what the actual choices were. Guess i'll wait for the documentary.

Anyone remember Times Beach Missouri? Dioxin contamination in oils used to keep dust down on dirt roads (Times Beach gravel grinder anyone?) made it into a permanent ghost town. wonder how that compares to the magnitude of the Palestine contamination? base upon "controlled burning" have trouble believing the Palestine exposure is smaller.

Last edited:
I did not see the movie, just read it was filmed there. Maybe the official that decided to burn the chemicals watched the movie and thought it was an operational manual?:shrug:
White Noise was the movie. Some Ohio residents actually volunteered to be extras. Now they are living the movie.

I have a project site about :30 minutes to the south of the derailment. Our safety officers are constantly being told by officials that things are "safe". Shit is pretty crazy out there.

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 6.19.26 PM.png

Am I remembering correctly that right after 9/11 authorities claimed the lingering dust did not pose a health concern?

Reactions: rlb
Am I remembering correctly that right after 9/11 authorities claimed the lingering dust did not pose a health concern?
Correct, Whitman stated as much, then offered a mea culpa more than a decade later that they made decisions with the best info available. As a former 9/11 first responder and (very rare) cancer survivor, allow me to offer my hardy GFY to that noise. Same shit playing out with Covid, now with this.

One thing that nobody is pointing out is that the railroads (cough cough CSX) are pushing for 2mi long trains with only the engineer. According to early reports a track defect detector did trip just before the derailment IIRC for a hotbox (overheated wheel bearing). With that in mind depending on length and speed even if the engineer initiated an emergency stop it still would taken up to a mile before the consist stopped. Judging from the photos of the wreck it looks like the consist was still at speed when the derailment occurred. If it were a slow speed derail the cars would have just flopped on their side, and not accordion in an upright position. Guess we'll find out when the FRA/NTSB report comes out.

Back
Top Bottom