Premature preping and info gathering

Blk06CompIRL

Soo this is a little premature as the season is so far off... I plan to take another dip into the DH experience for 2013. In 2012 i went once, rented a bike and had a blast, though nerves held me back a bit. I now have a 2012 SC Nomad in my stable built to SPX specs- make sure to select right tab to display (w/ Fox Float 34 160mm, Fox Float RP3) which i plan to use this season. As i am still new to DH i plan to look into coaching a little bit and wanted to ask if anyone has used the classes at MCBP as that is the main place i would access. If anyone has any other input or suggestions for coaching or bike concerns i am open to hear them.
I do have elbow pads, knee pads, Quality platform pedals and shoes, gloves and will have a full face helmet b4 season opens. I also am posting this early enough to make any changes to the bike and save money accordingly. I am also going on vacation to Mt. Snow VT in july and plan to look into doing some DH at least once so i want to have a solid background. I have done a bit of research on the bike itself and talked to a small handful of DH riders who said the bike will do the job no problem especially since im currently not trying to catch crazy air and bomb down heavy gnar gnar lol. Thanks for any information!

Last edited:
Personally I would just go and ride what you can and do it 10,000 times. Ride with a patient rider who will wait for you and keep an eye out for you. The best lessons are learned doing, even if it means eating it. Best riders will tell you just put your time in.

Personally I would just go and ride what you can and do it 10,000 times. Ride with a patient rider who will wait for you and keep an eye out for you. The best lessons are learned doing, even if it means eating it. Best riders will tell you just put your time in.

deff agree, finding said patient rider could go along with this premature planning so if anyone volunteers ill take names down . It just needs to be someone well experienced and would be able to give proper pointers as needed. I plan to get a season pass and go when ever time allows. I am not afraid to bite it that is for sure, rode 5 times down green and blues at MCBP and 3 of the 5 rides i took a spill got up and kept ridding. video from video trail reviews manny of my final run i was beat sore and beyond done for day but he was great and put this together for me as proof i survived lol

Agree 100%!!!

Also...get a chest protector!!!!

And I will ride with you.

Agree 100%!!!

Also...get a chest protector!!!!

And I will ride with you.

lol ok, ill look into chest protectors as thats deff something i need to budget for. I have no problem riding a lot but you can do something 1000 times and be doing it wrong so guidance to do things right is desired especially when it comes to properly doing wall rides, table tops and drops. I have basic knowledge/ theory but proper coaching to execute would be nice lol. Getting married in a year and trying to buy a house i am try to avoid injury from stupid mistakes or poor information haha

The sport of DHing in a few words. Its not if you get hurt but when, just saying.

The sport of DHing in a few words. Its not if you get hurt but when, just saying.

haha all good for the when, but prefer it to not be from something someone could of corrected prior. main concern probably comes down to attacking features blindly.

does anyone on here have a leatt? not that i think i do anything that warrants one, but you never know.

You should be fine with the bike your on right now . That will handle all of the greens,blues . They are super smooth and flowy . The best advice i can give is stay loose on the bike , dont over think how your riding is . Just ride freely , smooth, and trust your bike . Obv proper body english and technique help but that will all come easier and better when your loose and confident . Start with all the small stuff and slowly build up, whats the rush ? The parks arent going anywhere so build up at your level .

I had a fun season last year , got to ride with a few people on here and learned a lot . It not only made me a smarter rider but faster , better , and more confident . I rode almost the whole park , i dont do skinnies as i will just fall over LOL and i never took any of the drops or huge jumps. I stayed within my limits, mind you my first time to do DH so i was in no rush to clear every single feature at the park in 1 season of riding. I learned about body english and started to apply it to my riding without thinking about it . I took many spills myself , everyone has, but my last spill i took ended my season so on that note dont get over confident and listen to your body when your tired .

Ill be back this year for sure , will be a little hesitant and nervous but im in love with the sport. If your around , hit me up and we can go ride . Maybe take you down on some black diamonds :p. I wont be on a full blown DH bike but ill be on my Chili w a 180mm fork .

Last edited:
but my last spill i took ended my season so on that note dont get over confident and listen to your body when your tired .

/threadjack

btw - how is your healing doing? i remember that you posted your shoulder was very banged up.

that experience is deff what im aiming for. i dont need to nail big ticket items and my skinny skills need work. someone once said work on form and speed will come so deff not looking to go bat out of hell fast right away. i think that will be the big thing when finding the right people to ride with. over past year i rode with many people on trails and joined many beginner/ intermediate rides and every time someone complain about pace or stoping and im like dude its a beginner ride not everyone can do what you do. i think a lot of times people forget what its like to be new to a sport or how hard things can be when its so easy for someone whos more advanced. I just want to get better and have fun!

/threadjack

btw - how is your healing doing? i remember that you posted your shoulder was very banged up.

:D Well i was discharged about 4-5 weeks ago from PT . I have full range back into my shoulder/arm now . Started going back to gym to start all over on strength now and to burn some fat i consumed while being down from injury lol ... I had a separated r AC and fractured my scapula in 3 different areas. TY for asking , i got to come out and do some trail work with you guys .

i got to come out and do some trail work with you guys .

definitely! i'll be doing a little more TM this year since my boy can join up now. i'm hoping on actually getting up to the parks more than zero times this year so i'll probably run into you up there.

aedubber gave you some brilliant advice!

You also know I am very patient :D
I am not as fast as I used to be on the downhill slopes, and sometimes feel like I cant do what I KNOW I should be doing, but watching someone else, and giving you advice, well... lets just say I remember everything MY coach taught me, I just dont always DO it. I had a wonderful coach way back in the day. I am more than willing to ride with you, and I will always encourage and never push you harder than you can do.

Stay loose, trust your bike, and learn your balance, in many senses of the word.

Have fun.

Tired? rest.

aedubber gave you some brilliant advice!

You also know I am very patient :D
I am not as fast as I used to be on the downhill slopes, and sometimes feel like I cant do what I KNOW I should be doing, but watching someone else, and giving you advice, well... lets just say I remember everything MY coach taught me, I just dont always DO it. I had a wonderful coach way back in the day. I am more than willing to ride with you, and I will always encourage and never push you harder than you can do.

Stay loose, trust your bike, and learn your balance, in many senses of the word.

Have fun.

Tired? rest.

and drink beer in between runs right? lol ya know to help relax :D

Back
Top Bottom