Serviceguy's angst...or how I cope with life by cobbling bikes (not a thread about pizza).

Please explain to me in a convincing way why I shouldn't buy a Kona Honzo ST frame or, if it makes more sense, why I should buy one...all of a sudden I feel the need for a modern geo HT...but not too modern (Honzo ESD)...
What Mtb’s do you currently have? It helps to answer this request

Please explain to me in a convincing way why I shouldn't buy a Kona Honzo ST frame or, if it makes more sense, why I should buy one...all of a sudden I feel the need for a modern geo HT...but not too modern (Honzo ESD)...
A Honzo with a properly-spec’ed fork (Fox 34/Pike set at 120mm) is going to be a game-changer in comparison to a El Mariachi with a 100mm fork. It‘ll take some time to acclimate to the geometry, but I can’t think of any way it won’t be better, besides being heavier.

Mrs. G did this exact swap, only she went from an El Mar to a Chameleon, and the El Mar will be for sale.

When the question is "Should I buy a new bike?" The answer is always "YES" No need to rationalize your decision. And like MrG said, modern bike geo will change your life.

Consult the flow chart (can’t take credit for it)
1645234955042.jpeg

A Honzo with a properly-spec’ed fork (Fox 34/Pike set at 120mm) is going to be a game-changer in comparison to a El Mariachi with a 100mm fork. It‘ll take some time to acclimate to the geometry, but I can’t think of any way it won’t be better, besides being heavier.

Mrs. G did this exact swap, only she went from an El Mar to a Chameleon, and the El Mar will be for sale.
My full suspension is a a modern geo with the same HA as the Honzo at 66 (fugitive LT) so I’m aware. The el mariachi is more of a sentimental thing, even I don’t know why, and I have difficulties to let go of anything, but I’ll have to learn as I really have bikes everywhere now. I think I’ll place the order, problem is that I will have to source other parts then…$$$ so maybe I won’t…

Last edited:
…but I did. Bought it back in February and it’s still in its box. I’ve got every single part for the build but failed to put it together. The hold up is the fork, as I’ve decided to recycle the Fox 36 from the fugitive reducing it’s travel to 140mm (as recommended by Kona, the frame is a 2022 and spec’ed for a 140mm fork) and while I have the 140mm air shaft and all part to service the fork, including a new CSU to replace the scratched yet fully functional factory stanchions on the 36) I haven’t set to do it. Since I’m stuck home with the ‘rona and I’m trying to stay away from my wife to avoid passing the bug to her, this could be a good time to do it. I’ve also managed not to buy a 2016 X7 el mariachi being sold on PB, the guy is asking $1K shipped but I’ve no use for most of the component other than what looks like a really nice frame. So proud…uhmm, I like how that brown clot shines in the sun, and I was going for the full color range of el mariachi 2014-2016, wasn’t I…

…but I did. Bought it back in February and it’s still in its box. I’ve got every single part for the build but failed to put it together. The hold up is the fork, as I’ve decided to recycle the Fox 36 from the fugitive reducing it’s travel to 140mm (as recommended by Kona, the frame is a 2022 and spec’ed for a 140mm fork) and while I have the 140mm air shaft and all part to service the fork, including a new CSU to replace the scratched yet fully functional factory stanchions on the 36) I haven’t set to do it. Since I’m stuck home with the ‘rona and I’m trying to stay away from my wife to avoid passing the bug to her, this could be a good time to do it. I’ve also managed not to buy a 2016 X7 el mariachi being sold on PB, the guy is asking $1K shipped but I’ve no use for most of the component other than what looks like a really nice frame. So proud…uhmm, I like how that brown clot shines in the sun, and I was going for the full color range of el mariachi 2014-2016, wasn’t I…
Any chance you want to sell the fork?

Day 3 started with stuffy nose a sore throa. Checking with the dude that supposedly gave it to me to try and anticipate the progression. Sucks but so far I had much worse. Thanks for asking.

After 24 hrs of fever, congestion was all I had. That lasted about a week. Wifey get it?

Mine lasted less than a week, but the annoying dry cough seemed to hang on for a while.
Wishing you the best. Hopefully Mrs. Servicegal is like my wife; I had covid 2020 and the past omnicrom and she didn't catch either. Maybe she's a witch?

Well, eye surgery officially cancelled, will call to reschedule after 8/12. That means a repeating of some minor headaches/doctor appointments. The worst is that I have to deal with the left eye basically half blind (or rather severely blurred). Servicegal has been hit hard, she was advised to suspend her regular treatment to keep her immune system at its best. We'll see. Apparently not a witch.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t have guessed much less hoped for this to turn into a Covid journal…officially day 5, almost no symptoms at all, just some light throat roughness and a little coughing. Walked Bailey around the block wearing a mask and feeling stupid, but she did not have a proper walk in almost a week, as my wife was on the mending from her fall a couple of weeks ago.

Wife initial reaction to Covid was hard but she seems to be coping already better with it.

At least I’ve been granted work from home for the whole week, got that dilemma out of the way.

Bike wise I didn’t touch a single screw, legit work all day. Still no honzo.

I wouldn’t have guessed much less hoped for this to turn into a Covid journal…officially day 5, almost no symptoms at all, just some light throat roughness and a little coughing. Walked Bailey around the block wearing a mask and feeling stupid, but she did not have a proper walk in almost a week, as my wife was on the mending from her fall a couple of weeks ago.

Wife initial reaction to Covid was hard but she seems to be coping already better with it.

At least I’ve been granted work from home for the whole week, got that dilemma out of the way.

Bike wise I didn’t touch a single screw, legit work all day. Still no honzo.
Praying for you two my friend.

Back
Top Bottom