Sliding bike storage rack

Great bike rack! You probably have a lot of bikes so it makes you want to remodel your garage. Do you sell them or just ride different ones?
Personally, one bike is enough for me :)

Thanks! I don't sell them...that's my problem, lol! 🤣 Variety is the spice of life... ;)

Ooh thats easy.

Couple simple unistrut trolleys
Amazon product ASIN B0C78136CJ
add some park tool hooks with 5/16 machine threads
Amazon product ASIN B001P9KP8W
stack a thrust bearing on top and cinch it together with lock nuts and boom, 360 rotating hooks.
Amazon product ASIN B07VZXWSG6
I can't see the pictures.

I looked up the unistrut trolleys and they would be perfect (exactly what I was looking for but I couldn't because I've only recently got acquainted with Google). Only issue with the ones I've found https://unistrutohio.com/products/p2749 or https://unistrutohio.com/products/p2750 have a 9/16" (7mm) hole and the smallest Park Tool machined threads on those PT hooks appears to be 8mm, with the ones actually needed for a MTB or Fat bike being 10mm.

Duh, unistrut as a standard not a brand. Need looking further, I'm sure some brand makes an usable sized one.

Last edited:
I can't see the pictures.

I looked up the unistrut trolleys and they would be perfect (exactly what I was looking for but I couldn't because I've only recently got acquainted with Google). Only issue with the ones I've found https://unistrutohio.com/products/p2749 or https://unistrutohio.com/products/p2750 have a 9/16" (7mm) hole and the smallest Park Tool machined threads on those PT hooks appears to be 8mm, with the ones actually needed for a MTB or Fat bike being 10mm.

you own a drill right? this seems like a non-issue.

you own a drill right? this seems like a non-issue.
Due to the size of the channel it appears the part of the trolley with the hole is quite narrow, enlarging a 7mm hole to 10mm would definitely lower the load applicable to the trolley. Not sure about the one suggested by @JonF as I can't see the pictures but I wouldn't expect them to be much different.

71yXM6-9aFL._SL1500_.jpg

the drawing shows 11mm (looks like inside to me) so the 8 is 100% viable. Structurally the 10 should be fine (we are talking about hanging <50 lbs on it), but access may be an issue.

Thought I'd share a little project I just wrapped up. Had bikes on fixed hooks on the ceiling, but wanted to be able to move them around a bit and have them on a slider.

The commercially available systems I came across were either more than I wanted to spend or wouldn't work with my garage set-up. I stumbled across this site: https://shop.gear-blocks.com/product/sliding-bike-storage-rack/ that had a DIY version using uni-strut and hooks they sell that have little wheels on them. Took a little finagling, but the end product works really really well. My garage lighting is horrendous, but hopefully you can see how I pieced this together:

View attachment 231164

Do the hooks swivel? If so then this may be my Spring project.

Do the hooks swivel? If so then this may be my Spring project.
Mine do not... The company I bought from sells parallel or perpendicular fixed hooks.

The previous posts in this thread are some ideas for fabbing up swivel hooks for unistrut. Looks like it should be an easy hack using some unistrut trolleys found on Amazon. I may give it shot at some point.

Re: Amazon links/photos.

Something is broken - probably because we are a couple of releases behind.
on my list.

the drawing shows 11mm (looks like inside to me) so the 8 is 100% viable. Structurally the 10 should be fine (we are talking about hanging <50 lbs on it), but access may be an issue.
1.5mm on each side for 8mm and .5mm for a 10mm it's a little thin...granted you would use either a bearing or even just washer so there's should be enough purchase...maybe.

It's thin but its not heavily loaded and for thev8 at least your only enlarging it by 1.. so it only has 2mm on a side now? That's still pretty thin

I bet they make a bigger size that would make you feel better about.

Less expensive option and seems to be designed around unistrut.

Cobbling the pieces together still is less expensive but will probably need time and some trial and error.
Great find! You can buy the hooks on roller from 1Up and the rail from Home Depot (I guess it's not powder coated, so if that's what you want you may stick with the 1Up one) . Those carriages would cost more to build buying the parts individually.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Superst...nel-in-Silver-Galvanized-ZA12HS10EG/202714274

Last edited:
So the dimensions match up I assume.
It's an assumption, but I wouldn't expect 1Up to design their own specific strut that looks exactly like the standard one but it' just slightly narrower or larger. Dimensions are not listed anywhere for an educated evaluation. Maybe @Mr.Moto can buy the 1Up rail and let us know... 😎

Less expensive option and seems to be designed around unistrut.

Cobbling the pieces together still is less expensive but will probably need time and some trial and error.

I may be wrong, but looking thru the instructions & all the info on 1up's site, it doesn't look like these hooks swivel (if that's what anyone is looking for). It looks like they're spring loaded and then lock into place in the track...at least from what I can see in the instructions.

For comparison's sake...for my rack I think I'm all in for sub $160 (and the rack is twice as long as 1up's). Actually should be closer to $125'ish...but I opted for 5' sections of unistrut that cost as much as a 10'. Yeah, the hook's don't swivel, but in my situation that's ok...due to space constraints.

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but looking thru the instructions & all the info on 1up's site, it doesn't look like these hooks swivel (if that's what anyone is looking for). It looks like they're spring loaded and then lock into place in the track...at least from what I can see in the instructions.

For comparison's sake...for my rack I think I'm all in for sub $160 (and the rack is twice as long as 1up's). Actually should be closer to $125'ish...but I opted for 5' sections of unistrut that cost as much as a 10'. Yeah, the hook's don't swivel, but in my situation that's ok...due to space constraints.
While it doesn't say explicitly that the hooks swivel, how could they possibly move up and down without being also free to rotate? Granted, it's not going to be a bearing smooth rotation. If anything, I would replace the spring with a bearing, I don't see the point of the hooks locking in place when they don't have a load...

While it doesn't say explicitly that the hooks swivel, how could they possibly move up and down without being also free to rotate? Granted, it's not going to be a bearing smooth rotation. If anything, I would replace the spring with a bearing, I don't see the point of the hooks locking in place when they don't have a load...
Based on the instructions, it seems the spring is used to hold the trolley in place when not loaded so it doesn’t move while trying to get a bike on the hook. They do rotate as well.

IMG_5414.png

Yeah, I agree with you...just couldn't find anything actually showing them turning.

That said, just saw this pic which has it spun the opposite direction:

1.3_-_RS_Slide_P__34300.1682537095.jpg

Back
Top Bottom