Stephen's Newbie Question -- Budd Lake Access

Bonefish Jake,

Thanks again for the TERRIFIC instructions. I did this loop Sunday morning. I had told my I'd be about 1 hour and at the 1 hour mark had just gotten to the Pink Loop so I cut that out and will see that next time.

I learned 1) I am technically not good at mountain biking 2) I am not in good shape.

Nonetheless I had a terrific time!

The areas by the railroad tracks were toughest for me. Some of those little boulders sticking out of the ground, if you stop it's almost impossible to get going again w/ enough speed to steer around the boulders. And those uphills were tough to maintain momentum up too.

My favorites were the begining parts by the lake and the mostly gentle downhill with the little jumps (that I braked enough to make sure I didn't jump).

All in all a terrific ride for my first ride ever...and a great loop w/ an accurate description.

Thanks again!

Eric:

That's great that you were able to get out and ride at Stephens for the first time. I try to ride there once a week after work as it is my favorite park right now. My rides are usually 1.5 to 2 hours. If you are intersted in joining us, please let me know.

Have you considered riding at Kittatinny Valley? It's really great for people just starting to venture off the rail-to-trail. Depending on where you ride, the climbs are shorter and there are less rocks and obstacles. Probably can't get lost there either.

Keep riding. Every time you go, you will get better at it. Also, consider doing a skills clinic like the one offered at Jorbafest in June. If you ride with better riders, they will often give you valuable riding tips and it will push you to go faster.

Synchroscat,

I'd love to join you...but think right now like I mentioned I have two problems:

1) I'm not technically adept at Mountain Biking (ie. I'm not going to magically hop over a log, I'm stopping and lifting my big over)

2) I'm not in decent shape right now.

So I'm afraid I'll turn your 1.5 to 2 hour ride into a 3-4 hour ride that woudl be very frustrating for you.

I definately appreciate the offer and once I'm more convinced I've made headway on problem 2, I'll absolutely enjoy taking you up on your offer.

BTW - my first ride I was stitting on my seat most of the time. My friend told I need to get out of my seat and try standing on uphills etc. So I'll try that next time.

I'll need to remember to try Kittatinny Valley or Deer Park too.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Eric

BonefishJake et al.,

Just an update. Thanks again for your route, I've done it 3 times now! First time I was so tired I skipped the pink loop, I've done that the other 2 times. A few observations:

1) After you cut under the railroad track and make that first right turn, that's by far the toughest part of the route. Those hills are killer and the little streams w/ rocks always knock me of steerage so I end up stopping then walking my bike up the big hills.

2) You really need tick repellant on this ride. My second time I didn't have any and had about 12 ticks on me.

3) I love biking! Trying to make it up the hills is like doing weight lifting w/ leg presses, cardio to the max all the while trying to maintain balance! I'm still tired out from yesterday.

4) Yesterday that ending downhill section as the grand finale....I was so tired I didn't even hit the brakes. I think I jumped in the air once...scared the heck out of me.

Again, thanks for taking the time to describe the route...I've been putting it to good use!

Eric

Nice... keep it up boss! the more you ride the better you get. dont let those hills get you down... youll be climbing them in no time.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions