Stephens State Park Conditions

With multiple microburst that just blasted this area except major tree falls. Telephone poles snapped and multiple road closure in the surrounding hackettstown area.
Sharpen those saws boyz!
From the main park entrance half way to Kinney looked like a war zone. I plan to get a lot of intel this afternoon.

This is bad. Several of us were out doing recon tonight. I'm now tracking at least 21 new targets to clear. I'm told the Mazes are impassable. things down on : White out to the ranger station. Hally Toe. Cooler. Green. Under the Mulch. Teepee Rock. Trestle. This is as bad as I've ever seen it. I have to assume Allamuchy North & Deer Park saw similar destruction. So wherever you ride, please stop to grab pics/gps data of blowdowns. Also please clear the smaller branches. And heads up, ride with caution. Some of these come up on you rather quickly.

Last edited:
This is bad. Several of us were out doing recon tonight. I'm now tracking at least 21 new targets to clear. I'm told the Mazes are impassable. things down on : White out to the ranger station. Hally To. Cooler. Green. Under the Mulch. Teepee Rock. Trestle. This is as bad as I've ever seen it. I have to assume Allamuchy North & Deer Park saw similar destruction. So wherever you ride, please stop to grab pics/gps data of blowdowns. Also please clear the smaller branches. And heads up, ride with caution. Some of these come up on you rather quickly.
The worst I've ever seen it. We saw dozens down in a few short miles over white, pink, mazes, etc. We'll get it done.

Dennis K & I spent most of the day clearing tree after tree. We only managed to clear Lower & Middle maze, and some of White (nearest the Saxton Falls trailhead). About 5 miles in roughly 6 hours. There's an overwhelming amount of work to be done, and more resources are needed. Not only in Stephens but in the surrounding parks that likely got hit just as hard. I can't just drop everything and resolve this by myself. This is a "next level" situation, and I really don't know where to turn for help. This will take multiple sawyers to catch up. And a lot of intel to identify the targets. I'm gonna continue the periodic missions and do what I can, but I also have a busy life outside of chainsawing. I can't resolve this mess on my own in any sort of timely manner.

Glad to help you today, but I agree, you need more help after a big storm like this! Even if a few downed trees get completed with hand saws (~12"+ folding, or 2 person chains) by a few people here and there when out and about on the trails, that will make a big difference. Today we made things passable, but not necessarily clean. Usually we get most of the sticks and branches, but today not so much. So, if you're out on the trails, take a few minutes to clear some sticks/branches you may encounter.

As always, accurate intel helps a lot (picture of the tree with a bike or person in view for reference and a Strava or Trailforks location).

Sawyers from other parks--feel free to contact "chainsawer" if you can lend him a hand in clearing some of this post storm mess.

Last edited:
I guess I'm trying to act as some sort of central Sawyer coordinator, even though I don't have any authority to do so. With goal #1 being to clear the parks rapidly and goal #2 to improve efficiency so sawyers aren't chasing ghosts. I know that keeping up with 5 parks myself is completely unsustainable. So goal #3 is to bring in more sawyers. Happy that you guys do what you do!!

I want to help when and where I can. But also new to the way everyone tracks issues. Please let me know where I can look to help. I am very experienced with chainsaws and pruning.
Riding the park and pruning / clearing small stuff with a hand saw or dragging off if possible is welcomed. The park managers are picky about who uses power tools so best in that case to post what you see (and where it is) for anything bigger. We'll all try to get it addressed! If you aren't sure exactly where you are (or even if you do) a phone screen shot of trailforks showing where you are is super helpful! Packs with saws are heavy lol. knowing where to go saves a ton of effort and any detail (pictures or descriptions) help with equipment planning.

I guess I'm trying to act as some sort of central Sawyer coordinator, even though I don't have any authority to do so. With goal #1 being to clear the parks rapidly and goal #2 to improve efficiency so sawyers aren't chasing ghosts. I know that keeping up with 5 parks myself is completely unsustainable. So goal #3 is to bring in more sawyers. Happy that you guys do what you do!!

You're the absolute man. Users of the parks are forever indebted to you. I need to look into getting certified...

So is it a State Law to operate a saw on State Land you need a course or just a recommendation? I have heard conflicting information. If it is simply signing a waiver I will sign away.

Several years ago, I took a JORBA sponsored 2 day chainsaw safety class that was modeled after the US Forestry class. From that moment forward, seemed as if I was OK to cut in the parks that JORBA maintains. I followed that up with the actual US Forestry class a few months ago, which was sponsored by the NY/NJ trail conference. (I support both). I did that to get a more recognized cert. TBH I don't know if JORBA plans to run that class again. As for state laws, I really don't know. I've never once been challenged...

So is it a State Law to operate a saw on State Land you need a course or just a recommendation? I have heard conflicting information. If it is simply signing a waiver I will sign away.

There is no law! It is just an acceptance of credentials and insurance. Then a reasonable land manager.

Otoh, if you want to saw and aren't approved, don't get hurt and don't claim you are with a group. Just say you wanted to help....

Got in a small loop up top of Stephens this morning, hoping that it faired better the lower maze that chainsawer reported as a complete mess. My hopes were quickly dashed. It’s a mess. Some widow makers still hanging up there too.
On the bright side it is I did see some efforts by riders before me to make things passable. Got more than a few small to medium issues cleared. The downside is there is a lot, might be as bad as Sandy was.
Also noticed the Station Road parking area was cleaned up, wheeds cut ready to use, which adds a good starting point for some of the stuff up top.

Attachments

• IMG_8582.jpeg
    IMG_8582.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8581.png
    IMG_8581.png
    187.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8585.jpeg
    IMG_8585.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8587.jpeg
    IMG_8587.jpeg