SuperX for Gravel GravelX !

I did this on the "Muk" (from XDave) which Arnold may be riding now.

----

I have had a great success :Borat:

View attachment 221546

Roadlink did its job.

Hopefully I'm supposed to leave out the spacer behind the cassette for this, the lockring wouldn't catch.
Had to loosen up the low stop a turn, and tighten the high. b-screw is fairly close to bottomed.

time to change the chain!

In for about $45 so far - not counting tires and tubes.
Yup, the Muk is still alive and well. Much loved and often ridden, at least pre collarbone. Currently sporting a Microshift wide range 9spd set up that works great for this application.

Attachments

• IMG_20221226_140515215_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221226_140515215_HDR.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Next problem - chain length !

new, uncut 114 link chain does not engage the cage spring in small-small - it is close.
big-big it looks like i can remove a link (meaning 2 links) -

or - just don't go small-small ?

new bike?

I did this on the "Muk" (from XDave) which Arnold may be riding now.

----

I have had a great success :Borat:

View attachment 221546

Roadlink did its job.

Hopefully I'm supposed to leave out the spacer behind the cassette for this, the lockring wouldn't catch.
Had to loosen up the low stop a turn, and tighten the high. b-screw is fairly close to bottomed.

time to change the chain!

In for about $45 so far - not counting tires and tubes.
Needs moar cable doe.

new, uncut 114 link chain does not engage the cage spring in small-small - it is close.

new bike?
Doesn't that mean the chain is too long? Just remove the link (2x that is). No?

My gearing is 46/33 with a 10-36 cassette.
Sram Rival axs
Just for math purposes and the knowledge of this thread

33/36 easy gear is exactly the same as 42/46

you can get the same range with 1x, just with bigger jumps between the gears. the jumps are noticeable but something I have been able to deal with.

the perk of the 2x is the closer gears and are no doubt beneficial if you need to find that perfect gear. The expense of more components (more money) to make them do it.

I wanted to try 2x AXS but it just never worked out...
kanye-guess.gif

You could probably sell that whole shibang and get the microshift sword groupset, new

Doesn't that mean the chain is too long? Just remove the link (2x that is). No?

I think that will work. I'm scared. Added 8 teeth to cog, so 4 links longer, which is what I have now....

1693229820619.gif

Just for math purposes and the knowledge of this thread

33/36 easy gear is exactly the same as 42/46

you can get the same range with 1x, just with bigger jumps between the gears. the jumps are noticeable but something I have been able to deal with.

the perk of the 2x is the closer gears and are no doubt beneficial if you need to find that perfect gear. The expense of more components (more money) to make them do it.

I wanted to try 2x AXS but it just never worked out...
kanye-guess.gif

You could probably sell that whole shibang and get the microshift sword groupset, new

I'll.sell you the etap 11sp off the super six...
Or even there whole bike!

new bike?
For gravelly rides I really like 48 & 34 chainrings or 46 & 30 used w/ cassettes w/ a 32 big cog and road derailleurs. I don't think of this set up as 2x but more like a '1x plus granny'.
The big rings run very smooth across the entire cassette (big big runs great) and I only need to get in the small chainring for the steepest hills. At the tops of hills as I'm accelerating I shift into the big ring, never touching the top 5 or so cogs in the small ring. Works great for my fitness and terrain.

Back
Top Bottom