Tailgate pad over tailgate extender

Cole

I am taking a trip to VA, bringing 2 bike, but could use a bit more room in the bed. I was thinking of putting my tailgate pad over the tailgate extender. I would box it out with a 2x4 and plywood so the pad can be secured... Any other ideas or reasons not to do this?

Picture for reference
1699009981012.png

i mean as long as the tailgate pad is rated as a support and tie down point i dont see you hurting it or the bikes, securing the pad on the inside may be a challenge, but while the bikes on it the securing straps are superfluous anyway.

that said you will likely pick up some stone chips on the tailgate (if you care about that sorta thing)

Without a lot of weight on the tailgate, I'd be concerned. Any bumps will cause it to bounce, which could in turn cause the extender to pivot/bounce. Definitely wouldn't want to drive like that on a highway. JMO.

Agreeing with what both @shrpshtr325 and @Bikeworks mentioned. I'll add what I see. The extender isn't as tall as the tailgate, so bike wheels will sit lower to the ground. To free up bed space, you could acquire or borrow a hitch rack. 1up usa, Thule, Yakima, Kuat, etc.

Agreeing with what both @shrpshtr325 and @Bikeworks mentioned. I'll add what I see. The extender isn't as tall as the tailgate, so bike wheels will sit lower to the ground. To free up bed space, you could acquire or borrow a hitch rack. 1up usa, Thule, Yakima, Kuat, etc.
thanks the issue is, I have the camper, so the hitch is occupied. I would build up the extender to the height of the tailgate. I think @Bikeworks has a good point about the tailgate bouncing. So i will just throw crap in the camper if i need more room

/thread...

thanks the issue is, I have the camper, so the hitch is occupied. I would build up the extender to the height of the tailgate. I think @Bikeworks has a good point about the tailgate bouncing. So i will just throw crap in the camper if i need more room

/thread...
I have 1 of these on my trailer. Used it when I had a Tacoma, but Tacoma has been replaced with a Ford Transit, so bikes go inside. Haven't removed it from the trailer yet.
20220724_162121.jpg

/thread...
I think you can make my homebrew mount work for you here. Only issue is it has two L brackets that are made to sit in the seam of the tailgate and bed when it's closed, preventing it from bouncing/sliding forward. Side to side/sliding back are a non-issue since it's cut to the contours of the bed. So maybe you can slap this together, use a tie down point for the board and call it a day, all for like $50?

IMG_4620.jpg

If your bed has rails/tracks around the perimeter (toyota's come with these standard, not sure about other brands), you can attach bike fork mounts like Bikeworks shows by using t-nuts. If it doesn't have tracks, could be a good addition.

If your bed has rails/tracks around the perimeter (toyota's come with these standard, not sure about other brands), you can attach bike fork mounts like Bikeworks shows by using t-nuts. If it doesn't have tracks, could be a good addition.
It doesn't.

Could you put a bolt on hitch to the back of the camper? How much with the tailgate down is going to affect your driving radius?

Could you put a bolt on hitch to the back of the camper? How much with the tailgate down is going to affect your driving radius?
There is a fold down rack on back of the camper, but not an actual rack. I'm trying to keep this as zero cost.

Back
Top Bottom