Tank Trail (the Alligator?)

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
I’m sorry if I don’t believe a bunch of mountain biker bro-hams. Don't get me wrong- I like you guys but unless one of yooz is an actual WWII historian, I’m standing by my assertion that this not a 1940s military machine.

Someone prove me wrong.
Go see it in person and will then make sense. I’m not debating it, just don’t have any picks of the side that is still intact. People always call it a paver as it’s painted yellow. It obviously was re painted as that thing is close to 80 years old.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Go see it in person and will then make sense. I’m not debating it, just don’t have any picks of the side that is still intact. People always call it a paver as it’s painted yellow. It obviously was re painted as that thing is close to 80 years old.
I’ve ridden, rested, eaten snacks on, and even pissed on a corner of that thing-many, many times. After 20 years of riding Ringwood, I know the “tank” intimately.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
1990F7B9-F497-4CDA-A85F-405D2F0F0F00.png

Mtbdog

…still waiting.
Go there with a picture of an LVT and it will become clear to you. A lot of people think it's a paving machine but there are too many things wrong with that theory it's laughable. We stood next to it with a picture of an LVT and you could see direct frame comparisons. The small wheels and corrugated ramp really cement it in my mind and many others that it's an LVT.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Go there with a picture of an LVT and it will become clear to you. A lot of people think it's a paving machine but there are too many things wrong with that theory it's laughable. We stood next to it with a picture of an LVT and you could see direct frame comparisons. The small wheels and corrugated ramp really cement it in my mind and many others that it's an LVT.
Sure buddy. Whatever you say. :thumbsup:

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Will be happy to meet up there.
🤔 Will you bring a high resolution photo you got off the Google or a historian who can confirm your theory? I’m sure there are a lot of industrial machines that had similar engineering. Doesn’t make it a WWII landing vehicle craft. Ask yourself, what the hell would an LVT be doing in the woods of NJ?

I’m going to give the field office a call next week and see if they have more information.

serviceguy

This has became the stupider version of the winter shoes thread, Covid Christmas edition.

It is an LVT-4 Water Buffalo, exactly the vehicle in the picture posted by @Victor I in this very thread.

Yellow paint has been available for years to private citizens as well as to public institutions, and doesn't automatically make a pile of rusted metal a paver. Would also be a very odd shape for a paver, given the whole purpose of such vehicle it would be way too high from the ground.

Hopefully this will put the argument to rest for a few months...scroll to page 73/74.

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_LVTs.pdf

Only store I have about it, I was told by a guy during the last ride with @Mr.Moto and @mtbiker87 that its owner used it to shuttle skiers up the hill on Shepherd lake back in the days, then it broke down and was abandoned on the spot. Not sure how true that his but there's no doubt on the vehicle identity. It's also been used to cannibalize parts to restore a similar vehicle, I believe in Pennsylvania..

LVT-4-2-RSP.JPG

LVT-4-2.JPG

LVT-4-1-RSP.JPG

LVT-4-1.JPG

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions