Trading in a vehicle

rlb

I have a 2010 hyundai elantra with trans hard shift every 5 or so miles. It's been sitting around since we bought a used car through a private seller. Should i play dumb and trade it to a dealer to upgrade our other vehicle or just try to sell it private and disclose issues?
Trading in allows you to deduct the trade-in value from the taxable sales price of the new vehicle.

Compare the street value (of which you'll get even less with a trans issue) to the trade value and see if the tax savings are worth it.

Either way, probably not going to be a lot for a 13 year old car. I'd personally go for the dealer trade for ease of transaction, knowing I wasn't going to get top dollar.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have a 2010 hyundai elantra with trans hard shift every 5 or so miles. It's been sitting around since we bought a used car through a private seller. Should i play dumb and trade it to a dealer to upgrade our other vehicle or just try to sell it private and disclose issues?

Check Carvana first. It will help you decide. Or maybe try a trans fluid change, too.

Ironjunk

Check Carvana first. It will help you decide. Or maybe try a trans fluid change, too.
I changed all the sensors dropped valve body, changed shift solenoids.

The only thing i haven't done is changed the "variable force solenoid" and revert back to hyundai SPIII fluid i've been using maxlife but its been acting funny before the switch.

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar

I disclosed every little cosmetic issue when we sold the Forester. Even a little rip in the headliner directly over the trunk that you wouldn't see unless you really looked at everything, i.e. if you were @Carson

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i'd pee in the gas tank and call it even

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I had a Sebring that overheated if you drove it more than 10 min, like smoking and all. I drove it to the dealer, stopping multiple times to let it cool and then parked for 15-20 min next to the dealership before taking it over. The salesman drove it around the building and said “looks great”. I asked him if it was cool if I left it parked there until I picked up my new car and he said sure. Lol, suckas

xc62701

On my last trade I told them it was in decent shape and they gave me a quote sight unseen. I went home and spent 2-3 hours cleaning it up and it came out great. I brought it back to the dealer and then they proceeded with the same number they quoted me after asking them to reevaluate it and actually look at the car. I wished I never tried to clean it.

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I just traded in my Sierra and made the cardinal mistake while grabbing a bottle of water at the dealership.

There was some down time while the truck was being checked, so we went for the freebies in the waiting area.
2018 with 95k, it is and SLT with one of the funky trim levels.
my wife casually asks what i think it is worth. I had checked the bluebook, and it was $23k in fair condition. I said that to her.
miraculously, that is exactly what their offer was, and wouldn't move off it.

I later signed the camera/microphone disclosure while talking to the business manager.
They are going to intentionally leave you alone and watch.

Use this as a means of spreading disinformation if you like to mess with the sales people...

i'm not sure i'd say that if roadside assistance was needed 5x it would more than pay for their extended insurance.
I told them i wouldn't own the car after the second.

note they did not push undercoating, window serial numbers, etc. just the extended insurance.
Wheels had their own insurance - and i'd had one of my truck wheels repaired after folding the rim over,
so i already know what that costs worst case.

qclabrat

Just received a replacement vehicle for the kids so ready to sell the VW Tiguan. Don't plan to sell as private party as it's got an oil leak and just want the car gone. Thoughts on either selling to places like Carvana vs dealership vs smaller used car lot? Don't need the highest price, just a quick transaction.

Patrick

Staff member
Traded in for $23k, they have it listed at $31k + Fees

I have access to the carfax - their post trade-in entry.
I didn't see anything about fixing the a/c
Nor did they straighten the air dam on the front (i bent it at a TM day at CR!)

Looks good cleaned up tho

1708088419329.png

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Just received a replacement vehicle for the kids so ready to sell the VW Tiguan. Don't plan to sell as private party as it's got an oil leak and just want the car gone. Thoughts on either selling to places like Carvana vs dealership vs smaller used car lot? Don't need the highest price, just a quick transaction.
Carvana has worked for a number of folks I know. I used them recently to get a quote on my Subaru (which had some issues) and my dealer honored the quote toward my purchase.

iman29

Traded in for $23k, they have it listed at $31k + Fees

I have access to the carfax - their post trade-in entry.
I didn't see anything about fixing the a/c
Nor did they straighten the air dam on the front (i bent it at a TM day at CR!)

Looks good cleaned up tho

View attachment 232758

interesting - so based on the previous post they offered you the exact same amount that you spoke to your wife about in the waiting area because they were recording you?!

Assuming the truck sells for the current list price, and they account for the minimal expenses of cleaning and prepping it, paying their staff, overhead etc... I wonder what the real profit is off an $8000 markup post trade in.

Sucks for the new buyer they will not find out about the AC not working until it gets warm out and they have to come back to pay to get it fixed. :-(

Patrick

Staff member
interesting - so based on the previous post they offered you the exact same amount that you spoke to your wife about in the waiting area because they were recording you?!

Assuming the truck sells for the current list price, and they account for the minimal expenses of cleaning and prepping it, paying their staff, overhead etc... I wonder what the real profit is off an $8000 markup post trade in.

Sucks for the new buyer they will not find out about the AC not working until it gets warm out and they have to come back to pay to get it fixed. :-(

I think they put $1000 their cost in, and will sell for 29.5. so $5,500 gross + title fees. Let's say $1,000 in commissions?
And they provide a couple oil changes on used. Looks good, should sell quickly. I think they will do ok!

Top Bottom