Trail Maintenance - don't do this

Yes, last year I was clearing a trail blocking tree at water company, I had just opened it up and was cleaning up the area. Saw is on the ground, debris all over, wood chipping, etc, and i was completed drenched in sweat, i.e., it was clear I was working on it. 6 runners came through, I said good morning looking the lead one in the eyes. One of them grunted, the rest of them didn't say anything.
That happened in Allaire many moons ago…..they still have not found the body. 🙄

I’ve seen it all. I’ve been yelled at by hunters for running a chainsaw during hunting season. Been screamed at for closing down someone’s favorite trail. I’ve asked 100s of people to stop and help and usually it’s a true 1 out of 100 that do help.

I’m interested in hearing everyone’s opinions on what to do regarding widow makers hanging over a trail.
I have my own opinion to save for later, however as it is taught in all aspects of public safety: life over property.

Depends what you are calling a widowmaker.

What most people call a widowmaker, I call a "sword of Damocles". Ie: it's hanging over your head by a thread, and will eventually fall unprompted.

Widowmaker, I was taught referred to a tree that was dangerous to remove for the sawyer: it's under tension; caught in another tree; cutting the broken part alone would unbalance the tree, possibly causing a whipping situation, as before.

The second requires an experienced sawyer, preferably with help/spotter. The first is often unremovable in the wild, though sometimes a pole saw can work.

A broken branch hanging? Remove it. A tree that has fallen into another tree? It may eventually give way, but you need to watch/observe it. Many trail systems won't remove them until they are obstructing the trail, because of their relative danger to the sawyer. You should be aware of the danger in trying to remove one of these trees, and ask: is it worth getting thrown 20 feet, or pinned by the tree, to remove it? It's there material chance of injury in leaving it in place?

Back
Top Bottom