Wanted: 5x8 Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Before I go grab one from Tractor Supply, figured I'd ask around first... Hoping someone has something decent that's chillin in your yard that you've been thinking of selling but haven't yet.

I'm planning on building a bike carrying / camping trailer. I mapped it out and think 5x8 is the sweet spot for getting a minimum of 4 bikes across and having room for grill/tool/gear storage up front. Don't want any bigger to make it easier to move around by hand, and keep it light for my wifes Jeep to tow. Might be able to make a 5x7 work as well if I decide to go with fork mount method for the bikes, still undecided.

You should buy the Harbor Freight one and start a thread on the build, including all the modifications making it better and more suited to the task.

Would 5x7 not work if you just let the front wheel overhang a bit?

You should buy the Harbor Freight one and start a thread on the build, including all the modifications making it better and more suited to the task.

Would 5x7 not work if you just let the front wheel overhang a bit?
The tractor supply version is actually a better value IMO. Adding a floor and gate to HF will quickly negate the lower price, and also reduce its carrying capacity to below 1000lb whereas the TS version had a 1500lb load capacity as built. When not in bike/camping mode I want it to be functional for other trailer duties, so i'd like a gate. I also plan on adding a gate lock (amongst other devices) to help slow down / deter bike thieves.

Current plan is bikes stationed at the rear for easier access and better control of tongue weight. I'm kind of leaning towards fork mount method anyway to make it easier to nest multiple bikes side by side with the bars turned. Rockymounts has a TA clamp that also has a lock, but five of them will probably blow my budget 😅 (maybe just get two, for the bikes on the ends)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom