• Chain Waxing

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Not lubing your chain

• Overlubing your chain

• High Pivot Trail Bikes

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Insufficiently long headtubes for tall riders, coupled with silly-short zero rise stems.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Tubeless Sealant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flat Mount Brakes

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Headphones

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Sunglasses

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

I was wondering how long this would take....not that I agree, but you make XC look similar to DH to the TV audience, this is what happens lol
1719407763628.png

I did watch all of the races this weekend....I thought it looked miserable AF (those peanut butter climbs) and the internet certainly is getting the crash compilation reels it was hoping for....That said, I don't feel like it was "too hard". Mud, rocks, people sliding around...thats perfectly normal...The wooden DH ramp was dumb and I saw some huge crashes on that. The wooden gap jump bridge I only saw one guy attempt (last lap of U23 IIRC) and he lost a ton of time. And I did notice several bodies lying in that log section and a couple big crashes. Those bits to me were stupid and added nothing but crash reels.

I was wondering how long this would take....not that I agree, but you make XC look similar to DH to the TV audience, this is what happens lol
So a running joke at Plattekill was that Lazlo had a special big roll of string that he would let go from the top of the mountain and that was your course. We would always show up Friday before race day and spend Friday and Saturday burning and learning the lines. Saturday evening I always walked the course with Patty to discuss the lines. Between that time and practice runs on race day it would be a givin that a monsoon opened up. When I tell you it would rain we are talking flood type rains. It's crazy because this was a common theme. So between throwing out everything you practiced and turning to survival mode was quite common. Mother Nature is a bitch!

I do miss some shale surfing, idk if you ever skied Plattekill but that mountain is steep as hell. Lars Chase and Ebbit were the kings of that hill. Tommy Oaks was the high flying slaloms king.

View attachment 241443

I did watch all of the races this weekend....I thought it looked miserable AF (those peanut butter climbs) and the internet certainly is getting the crash compilation reels it was hoping for....That said, I don't feel like it was "too hard". Mud, rocks, people sliding around...thats perfectly normal...The wooden DH ramp was dumb and I saw some huge crashes on that. The wooden gap jump bridge I only saw one guy attempt (last lap of U23 IIRC) and he lost a ton of time. And I did notice several bodies lying in that log section and a couple big crashes. Those bits to me were stupid and added nothing but crash reels.
Wonder if we will start seeing rider protects of the courses or conditions? Youve likely have heard about that with Road races the last few years. It always seems to be in the light of :
1. We dont get paid enough to take this risk
2. Without us, you don’t have a race
It might take longer with mtb since there are less superstars that actually make living wage from riding and most of the riders haply chasing the dream.

So a running joke at Plattekill was that Lazlo had a special big roll of string that he would let go from the top of the mountain and that was your course. We would always show up Friday before race day and spend Friday and Saturday burning and learning the lines. Saturday evening I always walked the course with Patty to discuss the lines. Between that time and practice runs on race day it would be a givin that a monsoon opened up. When I tell you it would rain we are talking flood type rains. It's crazy because this was a common theme. So between throwing out everything you practiced and turning to survival mode was quite common. Mother Nature is a bitch!

I do miss some shale surfing, idk if you ever skied Plattekill but that mountain is steep as hell. Lars Chase and Ebbit were the kings of that hill. Tommy Oaks was the high flying slaloms king.
It would always rain!!! We would drive up Friday night in the pouring rain, and practice on Saturday in shitty conditions. Never rained on race day though, go figure.

Wonder if we will start seeing rider protects of the courses or conditions? Youve likely have heard about that with Road races the last few years. It always seems to be in the light of :
1. We dont get paid enough to take this risk
2. Without us, you don’t have a race
It might take longer with mtb since there are less superstars that actually make living wage from riding and most of the riders haply chasing the dream.
I suppose its possible, but like you said....XC racing....bike racing in general doesnt have many superstars....very few who probably eek out a living....Maybe if the top 5 racers wanted some change....but after watching Pidcock....Hard to think they are going to come up with a course thats too hard for him. And Pidcock won the Alpe D'Huez....so , he's a roadie right? and that must mean Crans-montana was a roadie course. Fucking roadie courses.

It would always rain!!! We would drive up Friday night in the pouring rain, and practice on Saturday in shitty conditions. Never rained on race day though, go figure.
Except for the one race late in the season when we woke up Sunday morning to snow on the mtn.

Oddly enough, that race had my best ever finish in 30-39 Expert.

Back
Top Bottom