What have you done to your bike today?

The pedal spindle gets a fracture at one of the corners of the broach (over-tightening, fatigue), and then your hex key just wedges it tighter when you try to remove it. Possible to salvage the pedal/crank, but the spindle has to be sacrificed.
I would try but it’s been in a landfill for a year. :)

Think I'm done with upgrades and accents for a while.
laughing-covers-mouth.gif

SuUUure you are. We all say that...

I really don't know, but I would be surprised if it was after. The crack was on the outside of the seat stay and was running along the length of the stay, I wouldn't think it would need chopping and then joining again the seat stay which could have resulted in a wider spacing. I think it's just tolerances or even incorrect assembly (I bought it from a Salsa dealer in Missouri, the BB was installed incorrectly so not really sure if the dropouts needed to be shimmed already). But I don't really know.
IMG_3781.JPG

Last edited:
I really don't know, but I would be surprised if it was after. The crack was on the outside of the seat stay and was running along the length of the stay, I wouldn't think it would need chopping and then joining again the seat stay which could have resulted in a wider spacing. I think it's just tolerances or even incorrect assembly (I bought it from a Salsa dealer in Missouri, the BB was installed incorrectly so not really sure if the dropouts needed to be shimmed already). But I don't really know.View attachment 232293

Are running 195mm hubs?

Correct.

197 Hope hub, measured.

Do you foresee issues using shims between the alternators dropouts and the frame?

I do. Those dropouts rely of the surface area of the frame to work. You've basically made them have like 10mm of material to grab hold of.

Better option is to shim the hub, if it bothers you.

Can have end caps turned if you really don't want to futz with spacers.

I do. Those dropouts rely of the surface area of the frame to work. You've basically made them have like 10mm of material to grab hold of.
Well, I’ll be damned! This was a tricky one to fix…it was the rack, the freaking rack. I guess at some point the right arm of the rack must have been hit, bent or whatever and it was pulling the dropout toward the outside by a few good millimiters. I bent it back and voila’ correct rear axle width was achieved! On to the next one!

Going through Elsa for ITI. Pulled, cleaned, and winterized every bearing on the bike. Tension and T9 wheels. Swapped Van Helgas for Dilli5 Studded, which surprisingly weigh the same? Installed the 20/22 dingle setup, 30t Wolftooth Oval Ring, and new XX1 chain that will be AbsoluteBlack prepped. Earlier in the week I also installed Wolf Tooth Singletrack Pogies that fold off the grip all together. Riding SS I really want full access to the bar ends…

IMG_2914.jpeg

IMG_2905.jpeg

IMG_2904.jpeg

IMG_2915.jpeg

Actually last weekend. And did a ride last Sunday out of Waterloo up to Kitty on the Sussex branch. Then around Kitty carriage roads and back to Waterloo.

Gearing is 40/17.

Attachments

• D546DD89-9F72-47B1-9F1D-6FD3748EEF83.jpeg
    D546DD89-9F72-47B1-9F1D-6FD3748EEF83.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 3AAA17EF-44BB-470D-935E-D596A6F5ABC7.jpeg
    3AAA17EF-44BB-470D-935E-D596A6F5ABC7.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 38
Back
Top Bottom